Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Little League memories ... does anyone remember
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1,797

Little League memories ... does anyone remember

Jun 5, 2017, 7:34 PM

when the Coach would give everyone a piece of bubblegum before a game ?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no, we had to earn our bubblegum***

Jun 5, 2017, 7:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Little League memories ... does anyone remember

Jun 5, 2017, 7:47 PM

I remember each team shared the catchers helmet and my cousin (RIP) chewed tobacco and the juice would be all around the facemask. the opposing catcher would fuss after each inning because of it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2017, 7:50 PM

Nope - we got nothing before a gane. All we got after a game was the knowledge fhat we were winners or losers. If you played especially well, you maybe got a mention in the local newspaper sports pages.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2017, 7:51 PM

"Rubber-armed" a throw from left field over the backstop behind the plate across second avenue onto a porch...

Jun 5, 2017, 7:58 PM

I remember after the game that if one of the parents would give a $1.00 bill to the concession stand the entire team would get a Coke.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember chico sticks and that crazy song

Jun 5, 2017, 8:03 PM

I don't like spiders and snakes....

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

we got candy cigarettes, and a little...

Jun 5, 2017, 8:05 PM

Levi Garrett.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: we got candy cigarettes, and a little...

Jun 5, 2017, 8:11 PM

Tough neighborhood ?

The characters got tougher the farther you went down my road

Jun 5, 2017, 9:40 PM

...I lived in the last house on the right.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

we got candy cigarettes, and a little Big League Chew

Jun 5, 2017, 8:36 PM [ in reply to we got candy cigarettes, and a little... ]

Sometimes guys would bring Skoal they somehow procured and outfielders would take a pinch since the spit would blend in with the grass.

When I would take the mound, usually due to our starting pitcher getting rocked - the sunflower seeds came with me. Still surprised the umpire didn't tell me to stop as after a few innings, the mound would be covered with shells. Guess they were happy I wasn't dipping like the outfielders.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2017, 8:10 PM

Yes, I remember little league and then went to pony league. Now they have t- ball, coaches pitch, 9u,10u,11u,11u major, open,A,AA etc.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

Jun 5, 2017, 8:13 PM

nanananah, swing batttah!
Travel ball would have been laughed out of the county.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Jun 5, 2017, 8:26 PM

When I was of Little League age we didn't know anything about Little League, I did coach Little League in the early 1950's. The players got a lot of compliments from me but all I got was complaints from the parents because I did not let their kid play the entire game or I was not playing him in his best position. I had one kid who was a perfect fit for right field as long as no one hit a ball in his direction. When in the field, he spent most of the time throwing his glove up in the air playing catch. His Dad thought he should be the starting pitcher. I offered many of those Dads an opportunity to coach but not one accepted my offer.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2017, 8:37 PM

You figured it out like I did . I was president of the league one year from t ball through senior league . If someone had a suggestion ( such as could we get the fields mowed twice a week? ) .... I would tell them " good idea . Why don't you form a comittee to see that it gets done " .

Jun 5, 2017, 9:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Little League memories ... does anyone remember ]

I was coaching t-ball one year and had a mom come up and start fussing about her kid not playing being in pitchers position or playing first for a few games. I had to kindly point out I made a position lineup before each game to try and be fair to all the kids and when her kids time came to play those positions he was at the concession stand getting a corndog. Every game he had to get a corndog. Mom would not get him one before or after game, always during the game

Played Dixie Youth in the '70s here in Upstate SC...

Jun 5, 2017, 8:33 PM

...some of the best memories of my life. Had to buy my own bubble gum though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

One of my 10 and under kids brought a bag of...

Jun 5, 2017, 9:28 PM

of bubble gum, another brought a sack of SF seeds. My right field starter puked at the plate from all the junk. I wiped his face with a cool damp towel and gave him one of my famous speeches to settle his nerves.

'When you're sliding into home with your breeches full of foam...

diarrhea, diarrhea.

When your running past first and your belly's about to burst...diarrhea..."

He hit a two run double.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2017, 9:56 PM

What a dumb post

Jun 5, 2017, 9:59 PM

Yep, we played best when we got green gum.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1,797
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic