Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Little Known Fact: Noon openers in Death Valley
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Little Known Fact: Noon openers in Death Valley

Jul 17, 2017, 10:37 AM

are the actual reason it's called Death Valley. You might as well be playing football in the Desert.

Kidding of course, but not about the heat.

UGA game in 2003 immediately comes to mind (not scoring a single point didnt help).

Troy in 2011 was brutal. I think it was a 3:30 game, but it didnt matter - it was and still is the hottest September 3rd on record for Clemson, SC.

Also i distinctly remember a Week 2 game in 2007 that was absolutely miserable. We were playing ULM, but that was the year we opened against FSU on Labor Day Night, so we were back on the field with only 4 days rest. Everyone was drained - players were cramping and people were passing out in the stands.

What others come to mind?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Little Known Fact: Noon openers in Death Valley

Jul 17, 2017, 10:41 AM

Ball State in 2012 was very hot as well. My first game as a student and I think it was 90+ with the heat index pushing 100. I almost passed out from the heat.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2017, 10:45 AM

Night games take this advantage away from Clemson

I like afternoon contest
Let the fittest survive!

This is an undervalued statement. A team like Kent State

Jul 17, 2017, 11:06 AM

simply can't prepare for this type of heat and humidity. There is nothing you can do to simulate it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: This is an undervalued statement. A team like Kent State

Jul 17, 2017, 1:46 PM

Excellent point. Another reason the Tigers extinguish the Flashes.

Jul 17, 2017, 10:56 AM

Mo Hotta Mo Betta.

Enjoy the steam heat!!! ;)

Go Tigers!!!!!!

Jul 17, 2017, 11:27 AM

On a whim several years ago I took my kids to see the SC State (opener) I think. We got tickets at the gate and had seats in the upper north stands. Felt like burgers at McDonalds up there. It almost ruined my kids for ever wanting to see a Clemson game again it was so miserable up there. Redeemed it a year or two later at the W Forest game where we clinched the ACC Atlantic with a last second field goal. It was a nice, cool 3:30 autumn game. We pretty much stick to those now! Being crazy hot when you're active is one thing, just sitting there under the sun and baking while watching others do something - that's a whole different story!

Jul 18, 2017, 11:12 AM

That Wake Forest game was my first Clemson game as a senior in HS. I was hooked after that.

2011 Troy game was brutal.

Jul 17, 2017, 11:31 AM

My whole family and I almost passed out from heat exhaustion. That still may be the hottest game we went to. Troy game last year wasn't fun either since it lasted over 4 hours I think. The most humid game I've been too was maybe the 2013 UGA game. I was soaked in sweat but it wasn't too hot.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I distinctly remember

Jul 17, 2017, 12:27 PM

Going to a Clemson NCSU game in 2000 between Philip rivers and woody dantzler that was hit as hell. I believe I was in 5th grade at the time. I remember getting a snowcone and it melted completely as soon as I got it lol. We won though so it was worth it. And I got to see two really good QBs go at it

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2017, 12:52 PM

Orange Bowl Jan. 1, 1982

Temp. 77 degrees and relative humidity about 86%.

Sweat running down every body crevice of everyone inside the Orange Bowl

Even the football broke out in a sweat when Donald Igwebuike got ready to kick it. ;)

Tigers took care of business and beat Nebraska 22-15 that evening :)

Jul 17, 2017, 1:44 PM

I watched the 1982 Natty from up north where it was very cold. :)

Homer Jordan had to get fluids by IV at halftime of that

Jul 17, 2017, 6:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Little Known Fact: Noon openers in Death Valley ]

natty

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love it. That Natty. Cuz, ya know, we gots 2!

Jul 18, 2017, 12:02 PM

2 more than the coots will ever have. One more than Georgia has.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The triple overtime against Miami was the worst I have ever

Jul 17, 2017, 1:06 PM

sat through. I was slap worn out when I left the stadium that day.I think it was 117 degrees, IN THE SHADE.

Re: The triple overtime against Miami was the worst I have ever

Jul 17, 2017, 1:48 PM

Not only the temperature and humidity, but the hot sunlight. Take the sunblock along on September 2nd.

October 20th 2001..homecoming drubbing from Peppers and UNC

Jul 17, 2017, 1:54 PM

It was only 75 degrees but the upper deck was catching the sun at an angle that radiated the heat to over 90,..and after getting a bit used to cooler temps that month it seemed to be the hottest game I ever attended. Miserable day.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Jul 18, 2017, 11:31 AM

Wonder if bottled water will come back down to 2 bucks.....Nothing like paying a bar tab on a hot day in the Valley!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 18, 2017, 1:05 PM

Aren't you allowed to bring unopened water bottles into the stadium?

Noon kick-offs in early Sept prepare the Tigers

Jul 18, 2017, 11:58 AM

for those sweat lodge games in The Carrier Dome where Syracuse has such a huge advantage over visiting Southern teams......??

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For some reason I remember the NCSU/Clemson

Jul 18, 2017, 12:49 PM

game back several years when O'Brien was coaching NCSU. It wasn't the opener, but the temps were in the upper 90s. Clemson had a 2 TD lead, at least; Clemson has the ball with about a minute to play in the 4th Quarter. O'Brien commences to use his two remaining timeouts and make us endure just a few more precious moments in the blazing sun.

If I am not mistaken, one of our fans gave him a piece of his mind after the game concerning him calling those TOs with no hope to get the ball back.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jul 18, 2017, 12:55 PM

Citadel 1972. 1:00 kickoff. Brutally hot. I was a teenager and still saw little green men.

Jul 18, 2017, 12:59 PM

UGA in 03 was the hottest day I can remember. And it didn't help that we had to park at the 3 way intersection beside the golf course.

Jul 18, 2017, 3:09 PM

I will never forget how hot it was that UGA game. It was so hot our center Tommy Sharpe vomited on the ball before he snapped it on the first play of the game.

Jul 18, 2017, 6:59 PM

NCST in 2007 or 08 it was miserable

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic