Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
UNCheat, Dean Smith, the scandal and TigrJim
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1,796

UNCheat, Dean Smith, the scandal and TigrJim

Feb 23, 2016, 2:29 PM

Dear TigrJim,

While I empathize with your hatred for the Holes - and believe me I do empathize - I do not believe that yesterday's post about Dean Smith was your best moment here on the Board.

First off, you slant perception in your title to the post, giving off the idea that one doesn't have to read the details to know what is being said - that one can read only the title and get the gist of the matter. That is a very dangerous thing when one is dealing with the very real attack on the image of a person who can no longer defend himself. I am no big fan of Dean Smith in any way. Like most men, he had his good points and his bad points. One of his best was his treatment of African-American student/athletes as far back as the 1960's. Bad on this alone, I think the man deserves some consideration that at least includes a detailed investigation prior to coming to any conclusions.

Second, in your post you notably have the temerity to link a blog from a NC State fan site. Seriously, this isn't even meaningful relative the real damage to a person's legacy after their passing. To suggest that the reputation of any internet fan site - and especially one from an affirmed "hated rival" of the TarHoles - is more trustworthy than a long-standing newspaper is frightening in its implications for what people read and believe these days.

Third, even the article states that "no one knows" how far back the issues go in the courses noted. If no one knows, then why the rush to believe what is clearly not provable? In my view, accusations and innuendo are only a step away from lies, and this link - because it offers only speculation and no actual proof or evidence - is barely a breath away from being nothing but gossip.

Finally, I call to you only to remember all the scandal and disinformation that has been offered on the issue of our once-Coach, Mr. Danny Ford, during his time at Clemson. Can there be any doubt that those in power in the ACC and other universities have gone out of their way to overstate and misstate Mr. Ford's participation, or lack thereof, in practices that ultimately led to NCAA probation? Can there be any question that Clemson as a school was "prompted" to deal with Mr. Ford in a manner that more closely reflected his "reputation" than his actual "actions"? Could there be any doubt that fans and rivals continue to slander Mr. Ford's name with myth and diatribe instead of honest appraisal?

I don't ask you to unduly uphold Mr. Smith - I only ask you not to unduly burden him - or anyone else for that matter - with unproven speculation.

We do not have to celebrate Mr. Smith to respect his true nature as a man. Neither do we have to promote his "legacy" in any way. We simply have to hold dear those principles of temperance, fairness, and transparency that Mr. Ford would have wanted for himself.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think TigrJim is doing a fine job and I think if Dean

Feb 23, 2016, 2:34 PM

didn't want people poking into his underhanded tactics, he should have conducted himself with a little more humility and a lot more HONESTY

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UNCheat, Dean Smith, the scandal and TigrJim***

Feb 23, 2016, 2:37 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sport....if you have a problem with the article linked

Feb 23, 2016, 2:40 PM

I'd recommend you contact the author and dispute away....and incidentally, I've seen nearly everything in that short blog elsewhere.....

and please make some small effort to get my handle correct---I've used it on Tnet for many, many years

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and congratulations on somehow working racism and Coach Ford

Feb 23, 2016, 3:08 PM

into your bs post.....NONE of which was mentioned in the few words used to intro the link

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Danny had helped to create a fraudulent major and then

Feb 23, 2016, 3:15 PM

steered the majority of his players through it, I would certainly want it to come to light

therein lies the point....

Feb 23, 2016, 3:29 PM

neither the NC State blog site nor Tigrjm present any evidence at all

that Dean Smith participated in that particular lie.

No evidence....

at all...

you might as well say it was Joe Paterno that turned on those boys in the showers at PSU.

same sort of undocumented exaggeration...

I make no points about racism....

Feb 23, 2016, 3:25 PM [ in reply to and congratulations on somehow working racism and Coach Ford ]

only that Dean Smith rose above it, and I as a white man, applaud him for it.

I think you jump to way too may presumptions, pumpkin...

as to your handle, earn the respect and I'll give it.

you mean "respect" as in...

Feb 23, 2016, 3:31 PM

be a member for 10 years longer than you... and have a pulse 22% points higher than yours?

that kind of respect?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you know, Snowjob

Feb 23, 2016, 3:56 PM

Mel Gibson had a truly great line in the movie "The Patriot":

in speaking of the King of England he said, "Why should I give up 1 tyrant 3000 miles away,

for 3000 tyrants 1 mile away."

You're both too stoopid and arrogant to know that he was talking about the pitiful likes of you.....

Don't be so hard on Snowblowjob

Feb 23, 2016, 9:23 PM

He joined Tigernet less than 4 weeks ago and decided the best way to be liked around here is get into The Reach Around Gang.

Over 800 posts of drivel to proof...

-Tesla

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

why not respect an unpopular opinion?

Feb 23, 2016, 4:13 PM [ in reply to you mean "respect" as in... ]

especially as one as well-stated as in the original post?

Lmao----funny YOU should make a plea for

Feb 23, 2016, 4:23 PM

"Respecting unpopular opinions".... Maybe you and EPIFART can get together over coffee and discuss what noble human beings Smith & Swofford are/were

we'd probably have a laugh or two

Feb 23, 2016, 6:25 PM

at your expense

:)

Like we're laughing at your pitiful excuses right now?***

Feb 23, 2016, 7:03 PM

Re: why not respect an unpopular opinion?

Feb 23, 2016, 5:24 PM [ in reply to why not respect an unpopular opinion? ]

Screw each and every one of those cheating ######## from Dean Smith to Bill Guthridge to Crybaby Roy Williams. The "holier than thou" bull#### that they have always tried to project just makes their hypocritical bull#### that much smellier. Any other school would have had the book thrown at them for their academic fraud and lying coverup. Don't forget that blue-bellied pos "Swoffie". Somebody needs to stand up to him like Rick Barnes did to Dean.

Try explaining to all of us

Feb 23, 2016, 3:41 PM [ in reply to I make no points about racism.... ]

Why any mention of racism or Coach Ford was warranted from those few words introducing the link???? And be precise as to what "presumptions" were gleaned in those same few words????? And why does someone need to "earn your respect" to simply ask you to spell the handle correctly???? EPIFART

racism - Dean Smith integrated UNC's

Feb 23, 2016, 3:49 PM

athletic teams with the addition of Charles Scott in 1966. I bring this up as a point of suggesting to you

that the man had some good points, and that he deserved to be respected for those good points.

and since we have no "evidence" as to Smith's direct involvement in NCAA infractions

it goes beyond bad taste to try to denigrate Mr. Smith with pure gossip after his death.

bring some real evidence, and things are different. it's easy.

Then I simply suggested that our own Danny Ford had had his reputation tarnished in exactly the same way -

people willing to spread rumor, innuendo, and gossip, relying all the while on little if no evidence,

when speaking of Mr. Ford's involvement in supposed NCAA infractions.

Mr. Ford deserved to be treated better, and so does Mr. Smith - so does anyone.

If you can't get that, I can't help you.

Still curious as to why you feel the need to

Feb 23, 2016, 4:16 PM

to illustrate Smith's redeeming qualities when I made absolutely no statement about him personally...Did you ever have occasion to meet him?? Perhaps you can shed some light on the wonderful traits of his personality.....but, regardless, your accusations and conclusions about what I posted or implied are completely false and baseless....one can only surmise you've received a less than adequate education or possibly had gaps in your upbringing that have resulted in some integrity shortcomings

Calling it pure gossip is a stretch. Are people jumping to

Feb 23, 2016, 4:19 PM [ in reply to racism - Dean Smith integrated UNC's ]

conclusions? Perhaps, but it's not unfounded. When did the major and paper classes begin? When was Dean's last year at UNC? How many of Dean's players participate in the fraudulent classes?

I'm not aware of any direct evidence of Dean's involvement, but there certainly is a lot of circumstantial evidence. Enough that it shouldn't be dismissed as "pure gossip."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Dean gave us the "4 corners offense"

Feb 23, 2016, 2:49 PM

that's all I need to know about his sportsmanship and integrity.

BTW ... was the original post a cut and paste from Tarheel Times ??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What does the four corners offense have to do with

Feb 23, 2016, 3:26 PM

sportsmanship and integrity?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you read the article the NCSU fan site linked?***

Feb 23, 2016, 3:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

You have a lot of gall

Feb 23, 2016, 3:40 PM

to use the word "temerity" on the boreds. ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

I stand properly chastised...

Feb 23, 2016, 3:51 PM

thank you sir for your kind destruction.

;)

a 'voice in the wilderness'

Feb 23, 2016, 3:54 PM

:)

always glad to see another open mind around here...

but it can be fun to push the haters' buttons

I'm as open minded as you are when it comes to unCHEAT***

Feb 23, 2016, 5:00 PM

LOL, a tar hole apologist does not equal open minded.

Feb 23, 2016, 8:40 PM [ in reply to a 'voice in the wilderness' ]

You are at least as biased as those you accuse of the same.

Re: UNCheat, Dean Smith, the scandal and TigrJim

Feb 23, 2016, 8:55 PM

Get a life

so he dies and everything he has done wrong...

Feb 23, 2016, 9:31 PM

just simply goes away??

Hope people think like that when I die...I could be crowned a saint

Replies: 29
| visibility 1,796
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic