Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Departing the ACC.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 764

Departing the ACC.

Nov 20, 2012, 9:04 AM

Only two schools have ever left the ACC, and they are bar none the two trashiest programs ever to be in the ACC.

I see a lot of gnashing of teeth, etc, and I don't really get it. Before I continue, just a reminder that this missive is brought to you by Senator Ben Tillman - Tillman's Pitchforks...there's always one around when you need one. Anyway, replacing Maryland with a UConn or a Louisville is really an even swap. It's unnerving a bit to see a Maryland program leave - but they are leaving in desperation. They have no football program. They have no basketball program. They have no money. They have had to close sports. In short, they suck.

They are leaving for the promise of money, just like SEC recruits. They're gonna have to pay some to get some.

We are losing a mediocre program and the sleaziest fanbase in the ACC. That in and of itself is no great loss - no loss at all, actually. Their fans (the 3 or 4 really good Maryland fans) are the losers in this. The rest of them always have been.

All this does is return us to the days of conference uncertainty. If FSU finds a home, we need to go too. And we will. If FSU stays, we'll be fine. This isn't any different than what we had before.

I'm VERY GLAD that Clemson so far has chosen to stay out of the musical chairs of convenience. I am convinced that all of these marriages will end in divorce, and then we may well be glad we stayed where we are. Georgia Tech won't suck forever. Virginia Tech won't either. The ACC is going through some tough football times, but nothing lasts forever.

And if it does, then we will have options. Many of you think that Clemson is just sitting on the sidelines totally unconcerned. I see so much trashing of President Barker and in the past TDP by those of you that have no idea what you're talking about. I have no doubt that our administration has a plan going forward (just like the Russians, Tiger TC) and probably two or three backup plans. I have no doubt that there have been conversations with other conferences and possibly even other schools. You just don't do that sort of thing publicly.

Enough of this crap. I don't like Gamecocks, I am sick of Gamecocks, and I am ready for us to beat them silly. In case you are wondering about how I think that game will go, reference the 2006 GT @ Clemson game.

Carolina Gamecocks, the hell with you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like it or not, the ACC is finished

Nov 20, 2012, 9:07 AM

FSU is leaving, period. Its just a matter of when. And once they do, the ACC is irrelevant in college football. So for Clemson to stay in that situation is to essentially commit athletic program suicide. Its going to happen, get on board or dont, doesnt really matter what you want to have happen, this is the way it is now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When the rats jump ship first, the pirates should know there

Nov 20, 2012, 9:10 AM

is a major issue in the ship's hull...

^^^^^^^^^^this***

Nov 20, 2012, 9:22 AM

Thanks chicken little. Are we not longsighted enough

Nov 20, 2012, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Like it or not, the ACC is finished ]

to realize that Miami, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, and possibly NC State or UNC could be relavant in college football?

Are we not historicly minded enough to realize we won a national championship from a "weak" ACC in 1981?

Is it easier to go undefeated in the ACC and have a shot at the national title and be able to drive to away games and support the Tigers, or end up in the Big XXII like West Va and lose two or three games and never get to drive to away games and not see them on regional tv either?

THINK a little bit.

Look at these teams' immediate futures...

Nov 20, 2012, 9:15 AM

Miami - Two bowl bans...have not even been served with probation yet...still coming.

VaTech - Beamer's end is drawing near...years of rebuilding ahead.

GaTech - Johnson' end is drawing near...years of rebuilding when a normal offense is put in place by new coach.

NCSt - New coach in the very near future...rebuilding.

UNC - Probation. Probably will rise before the teams listed above.

ALL will face ACC reputation in recruiting...and will not be relevant.

Bingo! Annnnnnnnnnnnd not to mention, thats all irrelevant

Nov 20, 2012, 9:21 AM

Beacause this is about money and the schools in the ACC make significantly less than schools in these other conferneces and that is a HUGE advantage - take Maryland for instance, they stand to make an extra 100 million over the next 10 years. You cant sit back and hang your hat on what schools that MIGHT be good SOMETIME - that is absurd and meaningless.

did you read his post? he says its not about what you

Nov 20, 2012, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Thanks chicken little. Are we not longsighted enough ]

Want, its about the reality of the situation. If the conference starts to crumble you gotta be proactive. If could devolve into big east part 2 in a hurry. There is no similarity to 1981, its a $$$ arms race now, it wasn't then. But even if it were, you would still be wrong because the concern is does the league even survive?

Thank you sir, some people just still dont get it.***

Nov 20, 2012, 9:22 AM

That is certainly the other side of it.

Nov 20, 2012, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Thanks chicken little. Are we not longsighted enough ]

Look at Boise State. They've been in about 4 conferences in the last 5 years, and now they are talking about going right back where they started from.

You don't want to get left behind for sure - and I respect that point of view and totally agree with it - but it's a balancing act, not a sure-fire decision.

Look at Big 12-2. How close was this conference to extinction? Now we want to be a part of it? I'm just saying, things are changing quickly and taking the long view is the only option.

Just don't get suckered in to thinking that Clemson's administration is being complacent. I really don't believe that. I just think there is a way you go about these sorts of things, and it's not in the media.

Maryland, those ######## of the 21st century - actually did this right. When they left, it was a surprise to everyone. As it should be, until it's a done deal.

No reason to think we won't be doing the same thing if it becomes time for us to go.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is a problem with your theory

Nov 20, 2012, 9:28 AM

Clemson APPROVED the 50 million buyout - Maryland and FSU did not. You never heard the Maryland camp throwing love and support to the ACC as Clemson has done.

maryland's move has been rumored for years because of their

Nov 20, 2012, 9:32 AM [ in reply to That is certainly the other side of it. ]

membership in aau.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK smart guy, so answer this question for us, then.....

Nov 20, 2012, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Thanks chicken little. Are we not longsighted enough ]

If FSU jumps for the SEC, are you saying we shouldn't follow them?

Or should we follow FSU to the SEC (assuming an invite comes)?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

I don't think FSU will leave...

Nov 20, 2012, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Like it or not, the ACC is finished ]

if the ACC forces Maryland to pay the $50 million, and the courts uphold that.

I really don't see how Maryland is able to do it, unless of course the Big 10 is pitching in. I mean they've already cut 7 or 8 sports from their athletic department.

If Maryland gets a reduced buyout, then I think you'll see FSU leave (assuming they get an invite from someone). Otherwise I think they stay put (unless the wooing conference is willing to pay the buyout).

Reduced buyout will happen.***

Nov 20, 2012, 9:18 AM

They probably have leverage because they voted against

Nov 20, 2012, 9:36 AM

the buyout in the first place, as did FSU. Clemson on the otherhand APPROVED it.

Replies: 15
| visibility 764
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic