Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lol. California.....go figure.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 816

Lol. California.....go figure.

Sep 12, 2019, 11:24 AM

https://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-threatens-boot-whole-state-california-bill-becomes-law/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know how it works with

Sep 12, 2019, 11:43 AM

a state passing a law that contradicts an NCAA rule, but I definitely have no problem allowing athletes to market themselves. Everyone else on the planet gets to market them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep.

Sep 12, 2019, 12:14 PM

1 step closer to having NCAA football games again

They don't, though. They market the school's teams.***

Sep 12, 2019, 12:39 PM [ in reply to I don't know how it works with ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, you're telling me that ESPN is showing

Sep 12, 2019, 1:07 PM

generic Clemson helmets, and not Trevor Lawrence, when advertising Clemson games?

Liberal California and their free market ideas.***

Sep 12, 2019, 12:07 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're right. It is a free market.

Sep 12, 2019, 12:36 PM

And if I wanted to go watch paid football players play football, I'd have Panthers season tickets and be a huge Panther's fan. There's no loyalty in pro sports. The players are not loyal to the team, or the coaches. The coaches are not loyal to the players. Heck, the team isn't loyal to the city even. They all chase the money. Just not a fan of that rat race. Heck, you wouldn't even have student athletes anymore. They'd be athletes currently enrolled at that school as a student. And if they transfer for better endorsement deals or compensation packages, then you will have a true cluster ####.

But yeah, that's a free market. If they really want to make it a free market, then colleges will quit hosting sports teams. The purpose of Clemson University is to provide a college education and degree. The NCAA fights mightily to make sure that REMAINS what happens. Pay athletes, and colleges might as well quit the sports business. They will too. Or start a new NCAA. Whatever.

Heck, if not for the NCAA, Harvard could buy the best players in the country (and sell out the value of their degree in the process). Which they won't. And neither will Clemson. Or any other school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, players not marketing themselves

Sep 12, 2019, 1:09 PM

Is the linchpin upon which the entirety of collegiate athletics rests.

What would actually happen is everything stays the same, except some players make a little money.

For a man who wields naïveté like Picasso wields paint...

Sep 12, 2019, 2:14 PM

...that post was a masterpiece.

null

People have been saying various sports will be ruined

Sep 12, 2019, 3:35 PM

for a hundred years. They never are, and the reason is that a whole lot of people like them, so they keep on being sports.

If every Clemson athlete was paid big money every year, pretty much every fan would be just as big a fan as they always were. We don't know how to quit our teams, and we aren't going to.

Well, I imagine we will be able to test your theory soon.

Sep 12, 2019, 4:29 PM

Honestly, if the flood gates open I think it will destroy the sport. And so be it. We reap what we sow. Hopefully I’ll get to watch a little more of this special program Dabo has developed before that happens...or, as you predict, maybe I won’t even notice.

null

You do realize this bill has nothing to do with

Sep 12, 2019, 1:11 PM [ in reply to You're right. It is a free market. ]

schools paying players, right?

Re: Liberal California and their free market ideas.***

Sep 12, 2019, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Liberal California and their free market ideas.*** ]

they hate the sport and realize this could eventually end college football. Smaller schools, like Clemson, won't be able to compete.

Assuming you’ve never been to a Niners-Raiders game.***

Sep 12, 2019, 1:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Assuming you’ve never been to a Niners-Raiders game.***

Sep 12, 2019, 1:09 PM

assuming you want Texas A&M to rule college football for the next century

I’m not in favor of the CA law, just saying football

Sep 12, 2019, 1:27 PM

is important there.

I went to see Raiders (when in LA) Niners play in the mid-80s and witnessed about 10 fights in the stands.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hardly think a game from 35 years ago

Sep 12, 2019, 4:23 PM

where a bunch of drunk fans found an excuse to be morons means that they are passionate fans in 2019, right?

null

Re: I’m not in favor of the CA law, just saying football

Sep 13, 2019, 10:15 PM [ in reply to I’m not in favor of the CA law, just saying football ]

Sorry for my snarky remark. I do think that Texas, Texas A&M, Michigan and the like will buy all the 4 and 5 stars if this practice goes nationwide. I feel like it will be the end of college football as we know it. I like Dabo’s model of making sure his players get a good education, graduate, and get internships that will lead to successful careers.

Again, I felt bad after making that comment. I have been to San Fran a couple of times and went to a Giants game. The locals are friendly.

I see Harvard and Yale replacing Clemson and Alabama

Sep 12, 2019, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Liberal California and their free market ideas.*** ]

They got plenty of cash on hand.

No, really colleges will just quit having sports teams. Guarantee you that will happen. They're not going to get into a money race with sponsors, etc. paying students there to earn a degree.

Most people don't know the whole reason the NCAA exists is to allow colleges to HAVE TEAMS with student athletes. The schools get the benefit of the sports programs, and the athletes get the benefit of the degree. But it's still a school first and foremost. Introduce paid players and the colleges will back out of sports. Just my guess.

Then you'll have the NFL kinda like MLB. There would be a minor league of semi-professionals, and no school involvement.

You do know the bill has nothing to do with schools paying players right?***

Sep 12, 2019, 4:12 PM

The more responses I see in this thread, I wonder if

Sep 13, 2019, 6:58 AM

anyone realizes this.

***This is about athletes making money for themselves, nothing to do with the school doing paying players anything***

I don't see how it's different from athletes getting a job at the Chick-fil-A on campus. They should be able to earn money if they have the opportunity and ability.

Re: The more responses I see in this thread, I wonder if

Sep 13, 2019, 10:17 PM

Boosters for those schools will be able to pay athletes.

Sep 12, 2019, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Liberal California and their free market ideas.*** ]

LMAO... California is arguably the biggest football market in America. They have four NFL teams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Sep 13, 2019, 10:22 PM

LMAO. Raiders are moving to Vegas. Chargers attendance looked horrible on tv last year.

It is a free market. The players are free to not participate in NCAA athletics.

Sep 12, 2019, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Liberal California and their free market ideas.*** ]

At which point you are free to pay them whatever you want for their signature.

All day long I do contracts with vendors who are not allowed to use the fact that they work with my company in any of their marketing materials. They aren’t even allowed to tell people they have a contract with us.

I am constantly amazed at the elementary level of this debate.

null

While this doesn't make a non-free market into a free market

Sep 12, 2019, 3:38 PM

You can't argue that it doesn't not increase individual freedom and choices for the athletes. Now whether we want that to happen, we can argue.

I think it obviously is a good thing for players, and I fail to see how it is a negative in any way on schools.

Sorry for the triple negative, I think you know what I mean.***

Sep 12, 2019, 3:39 PM

I wouldn’t say that I can’t understand what you didn’t mean.

Sep 12, 2019, 4:15 PM

The student athlete always had a choice. They could chose to play college sports or not. The only thing this does is take away choice from an independent organization. The member institutions of the NCAA choose, of their own free will, to associate in the Association, and the government is telling them they can’t. Well, effectively. Or they are telling them how they will operate as an association in California.

To say it’s obviously a good thing for the players seems pretty oblivious to the rule of unintended consequences, but perhaps we have to tear down what used to be a great thing to see what will happen. And contrary to your above post, I can quite easily quit my team. I’m hanging on by a thread to spectator sports, having given up on pro sports and college basketball entirely. I pretty-much just watch Clemson football now.

null

Re: Lol. California.....go figure.

Sep 12, 2019, 1:43 PM

I'm ready for cali to secede.
They need too much therapy!

they are always 10 years ahead..

Sep 12, 2019, 8:14 PM

and the state of CA could out spend and out lawyer the NCAA ten fold, assuming this is for realz.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm no lawyer, but is that the dynamic?

Sep 12, 2019, 10:10 PM

Is this really a "CA lawyers vs NCAA lawyers" thing?

How does CA force the NCAA not to kick out California schools who don't follow their rules?

null

Re: I'm no lawyer, but is that the dynamic?

Sep 12, 2019, 10:14 PM

IDK, This would end poorly for all involved now and I expect cooler heads to back away.

10 years from now, who knows.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t know if it would stop them, but I can’t imagine the

Sep 12, 2019, 10:17 PM [ in reply to I'm no lawyer, but is that the dynamic? ]

NCAA doing that. They don’t have the balls, pardon my French. And if they did, they would be kicking out schools like USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford. If they did that, it wouldn’t surprise me to see the dominoes start to fall and other big time programs just quitting the NCAA voluntarily. The NCAA wouldn’t risk it.

Granted the NCAA is a spineless organization but I don’t

Sep 12, 2019, 11:34 PM

see how they don’t kick them out...unless the member institutions want a professional football program attached to their schools, you can’t allow for Csl, Southern Csl, UCLA and Stanford to have an avenue to fill player’s pockets with money and other programs don’t and still allow them to stay in the NCAA.

null

I can see all the other states lining right up behind CA.

Sep 13, 2019, 6:54 AM

I think the NCAA is on the wrong side of this particular thing...they can choose to do the common sense thing and get with the times, or they can be forced to change kicking and screaming.

I think in 5-10 years, college athletes appearing on commercials and cereal boxes will be commonplace, the sports will go on mostly unchanged, and we'll wonder why it wasn't always that way.

NCAA doing that. They don’t have the balls, pardon my French. And if they did, they would be kicking out schools like USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford. If they did that, it wouldn’t surprise me to see the dominoes start to fall and other big time programs just quitting the NCAA voluntarily. The NCAA wouldn’t risk it.

Sep 12, 2019, 11:32 PM

I think the NCAA is going to over reach on this and finally get it's clock cleaned.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i can't wait til the irs taxes the players for the value

Sep 13, 2019, 12:00 AM

of the scholarship

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2019, 8:01 AM

One of my favorite "conservative" hypocrisies is pretending you're for the free market when you're really not. Thus evidenced in this thread.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

it's hilarious, I thought we were a pro-business country***

Sep 13, 2019, 10:26 AM

Whoa! Who would guess S.C. would be the next domino?

Sep 14, 2019, 9:57 AM

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27607396/s-carolina-consider-fair-pay-play-type-bill

null

Replies: 41
| visibility 816
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic