Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did Chad Morris inherit a horrible team or is he just not a good HC?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Did Chad Morris inherit a horrible team or is he just not a good HC?

Nov 23, 2018, 10:00 PM

2 wins at Arky this year. I don't think his SMU teams were any gte1at either. Is he just riding his Clemson coattails?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did Chad Morris inherit a horrible team or is he just not a good HC?

Nov 23, 2018, 10:01 PM

smfh. he inherited a dumpster fire

Ditto - what DER said - in brutal division***

Nov 23, 2018, 10:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2018, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Did Chad Morris inherit a horrible team or is he just not a good HC? ]

Is that really an excuse to lose 38-0 to Missouri though? Talking bout mizzou, not bama

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2018, 11:06 PM

Do any of you negative Nellies have any idea what Coach Morris accomplished in his tenure at SMU which was a total wreck? He got that horrid program to a bowl in three seasons. Has he learned from his experiences? Absolutely.

His first Arkansas team was totally not the type of team he needed to have any degree of success. His initial full class was last in the SEC, but his current class will be the best in the program in perhaps the last decade. He learned quite a bit from Dabo and Arkansas will benefit in the long term. Morris faces a tough challenge, but I believe he will succeed.

Give him an opportunity without judging based upon what he solely did at Clemson.

he runs a no huddle spread

Nov 23, 2018, 10:04 PM

the guys he has are for a team that runs a lot of boring i formation smashmouth style..gonna take a few years to get some guys in there that can run his system

exactly. he had the opposite type of players he needs on off

Nov 23, 2018, 10:22 PM

It's too early to judge him as a HC imo

Believe he got SMU bowl eligible while he was there, no?

Nov 23, 2018, 10:06 PM

He definitely left that program better than he found it...

I think if they give Chad a couple years he could have success there....they've gotta find some weapons though

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes

Nov 23, 2018, 10:27 PM

He did a great job there turning that program around, and he has the best class of recruits coming in that Arlie has had in quite a while.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2018, 10:12 PM

He didn’t inherit the disaster it is now. The Chad runs a gimmicky offense that will beat bad to average teams and struggle mightily against good defenses, as he did at Clemson. Don’t expect him to last long at Arkansas.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2018, 10:20 PM

THIS. Don’t understand the infatuation some Clemson fans have for him. I’m thankful for what he did for our program, reinventing the offense, recruiting Deshaun, etc. but he’s not exactly Gods gift to football and he’s definitely not a proven HC.

Nov 23, 2018, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Did Chad Morris inherit a horrible team or is he just not a good HC? ]

IMO, he often refuses to adjust to different game situations. I'm sure he's way smarter than me but at times his coaching doesn't show it.

Like the Law School mantra--the reasonable man adapts to his environment; the unreasonable man expects the environment to adapt to him; therefore, all progress is based on the unreasonable man. Or coach.

Never understood why folks think a DC or OC translates....

Nov 23, 2018, 10:19 PM

...into a great HC. College football is littered with examples that make my point. And, really it's a terrible waste of a good OC or DC when making them the HC in so many cases.

Re: Never understood why folks think a DC or OC translates....

Nov 23, 2018, 10:33 PM

You got that right judge

a major flaw in the system and choices and flow chart to

Nov 23, 2018, 10:57 PM [ in reply to Never understood why folks think a DC or OC translates.... ]

success

why keep hiring old HC who never got it done or were great ..... ???

null

Re: a major flaw in the system and choices and flow chart to

Nov 24, 2018, 7:43 AM

So they can get to the USC graveyard?

I remember, oh, ten or so years ago,

Nov 24, 2018, 8:27 AM [ in reply to Never understood why folks think a DC or OC translates.... ]

A guy being named interim coach who had never even been a coordinator. Man, oh man, did that school get ridiculed and much of the fan base was apoplectic! I wonder whatever became of that dude?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bielema left a crappy team behind. No good QBs. The sad part is he

Nov 23, 2018, 10:31 PM

Sold himself as having the biggest and best line. A couple of years ago he had the elheaviest line in all of football, yes even more than nfl teams. And they couldn’t block crap. He didn’t recruit players in Arkansas very well which is sad. He truly left the place worse than how he found it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. And probably yes.

Nov 23, 2018, 10:34 PM

Can a big 12 approach work in the SEC? Probably not.

Nov 23, 2018, 10:56 PM

He is a gimmick...We needed a gimmick...He gave us a gimmick...He went to SMU and got them over the hump...He went to Ark. and has made Boo-Koo manyama...The only thing left is how much EGO he has left...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Both.

Nov 23, 2018, 11:22 PM

Nothing he has done as a head coach suggests that he is a good one. He was a pretty good OC, but as others have said it is a gimmick offense and doesn’t regularly work against good defenses.

Also, Arkansas was pretty crappy when Chad arrived.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

he ran the occasional headscratching gimmick.. but to say

Nov 23, 2018, 11:29 PM

that his offense did not regularly "work against good defenses" is just patently stupid

Re: he ran the occasional headscratching gimmick.. but to say

Nov 24, 2018, 1:08 AM

“Patently stupid”? Yet his offenses were consistently stonewalled by good FSU and South Carolina defenses. ??

Nov 23, 2018, 11:58 PM

Riding Clemson's coattails . Really ? Give the man a chance .

Nov 24, 2018, 12:08 AM

Odd how things end up. Les Miles would have been a better hire at Ark and Chad would have been good at KS.

Let's see if I have some poasters' views right

Nov 24, 2018, 7:18 AM

1. Chad did nothing to help Dabo set Clemson on its' current course
2. The OP asked if he was a good or bad HC...some said it's too soon tell, which is probably true.
3. Stonewalled by USC and FSU? Seriously?
4. Apparently, Chad accomplished zilch with SMU
5. Summarizing: the difference from '10 to '11 had nothing to do with Chad
His 'gimmicky' offense contributed zilch to the still-current double-digit win
season, which means Steele and the defense did it...and simply had a bad night in
Miami

I didn't realize how perfect Dabo was right from the start...straight line to the top like a rocket ship to the stars. (I might be a bit sarcastic)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He got a lot of credit because Dabo is awesome

Nov 24, 2018, 7:23 AM

and he happened to work for him. He didn't learn much.

I am not a Chad Morris fan.

Nov 24, 2018, 7:38 AM

Never-the-less, a coach has to be allowed to build a program which takes no less than five years to recruit and develop a full compliment of linemen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 24, 2018, 8:35 AM

My only gripe about Morris is that he does not seem to tailor his game to each player, but each player has to fit his system. Sometimes that works if you can recruit a DW4, but otherwise really good players are not able to reach their potential due to his stubborn approach.

Otherwise, he seems to be pretty good at coaching and can find good QB's to make his system work. He needs help and should hire really good OC/DC's to make things easier. I'm not sure he will be very successful at Arky, but he might make them better in a few years.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic