Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Let's review Brownell's horrible late coaching moves tonight
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 1

Let's review Brownell's horrible late coaching moves tonight

Feb 11, 2014, 9:45 PM

Goes to 1-3- trap: wait, that turned the game around
Designs brilliant play for KJ at end of first OT: miss
Puts Nnoko on the ball at end of first OT: Steal, 2 FT's

This is not to mention the countless wide open shots out of our offense the whole game we simply don't have the shooters to knock down this year. To bad we have 3 elite shooters coming in next year for all those calling for his head because next year this program takes off. Anyone who thinks this team would be remotely close to where it is without him this year either has feathers flying or is brain dead

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's review Brownell's horrible late coaching moves tonight

Feb 11, 2014, 9:46 PM

Keep making excuses

Keep making a fool of yourself chicken little

Feb 11, 2014, 9:48 PM

when your coach punches someone, get back with us

Keep posting about games you clearly don't watch***

Feb 11, 2014, 9:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Let's review Brownell's horrible late coaching moves tonight ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lukeb81

Feb 11, 2014, 9:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Let's review Brownell's horrible late coaching moves tonight ]

Send this idiotic coot packing. He should be banned immediately!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has been by me----------------

Feb 12, 2014, 9:17 AM

Use your ignore button

it is a beautiful thing

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Explanation != excuse

Feb 11, 2014, 9:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Let's review Brownell's horrible late coaching moves tonight ]

But you know that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uh, no, Thom, he doesn't.***

Feb 11, 2014, 9:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I'm more and more getting the idea he does get it

Feb 11, 2014, 9:53 PM

I just really think it's almost coming across as TOO obtuse to be accidental.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

some of these same fans said last year, wait til next year

Feb 11, 2014, 9:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Let's review Brownell's horrible late coaching moves tonight ]

when Coleman and Blossingame get on the team it will all turn around

well, now they are waiting on RS FR and 2 High Schoolers to come in and now they will turn it around

I'll bet we'll be sitting here next year and these same fans will be saying wait til next year when those High Schoolers get here

Perhaps

Feb 11, 2014, 9:56 PM

But here's the thing. Anyone who has watched has seen we are a MUCH better TEAM than last year. We don't have the skill to put us even higher, but the the way we play is much better than years past.

That said, my real question is "what is the alternative?"

We can either try and accentuate the positive, look to the future, and hope for better days ahead, or we can enter despair and think it'll never happen. There is no magic bullet for CLemson Basketball. We have no real choice but to be patient and take note of the progress we are making.

Have we improved or not??

Feb 11, 2014, 9:57 PM [ in reply to some of these same fans said last year, wait til next year ]

The clear answer is yes.

Whose saying "wait till next year". The team was picked to

Feb 11, 2014, 9:58 PM [ in reply to some of these same fans said last year, wait til next year ]

finished next to last in the ACC so they are exceeding anyone who knows anyting about basketball's expectations this year.

You make good points; I too cautioned that counting on young

Feb 11, 2014, 10:49 PM [ in reply to some of these same fans said last year, wait til next year ]

and unproven players to contribute significantly on offense may be expecting too much, but a lot of people did not want to hear it. The same goes for next year. Rooks is by all accounts a good shooter. Devoe looks to me like the best, most polished, complete offensive recruit we've signed in many, many years. Grantham looks like a real, honest to goodness 4-star, big-time 6'8" basketball player. But all of those guys are in high school, and how all of that will translate to the next level is a big question mark - like it or not. We've seen it before. Like everybody else, I'm really hopeful; but unlike many, I'm not counting on it. Besides, we still won't have a real inside presence, so that's gonna continue to plague us.

I do agree with others - that Brownell is doing a heck of a job with what he's got. This team has exceeded everyone's expectations by quite a bit, including my own. This team is a much better team than last year's; and there has been significant improvement. Still, in spite of the improvement, we've still got a ways to go, which shows just how far we had fallen.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

If KJ stays...

Feb 11, 2014, 10:59 PM

Do you think we can be better next year?

Yes - since we don't lose anybody, it would only stand to

Feb 11, 2014, 11:10 PM

reason that we would be some better.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Ok, sooo...

Feb 11, 2014, 11:39 PM

I think that's what most reasonable people said between last year and this year, and I think another step will be taken next year. I think that's a realistic goal.

Just how big that step will be is the question and will

Feb 12, 2014, 12:12 AM

depend in large part on how much and how soon the new guys can contribute.

- H. L. Mencken

What all 3 will give us is what we truly lack-shooters

Feb 11, 2014, 11:11 PM [ in reply to You make good points; I too cautioned that counting on young ]

they won't have to carry the load and we'll be able to ride the hot hand. You factor in improvement from our returning guys, especially I believe Nnoko and Blossomgame next season, and we should have an inside guys who have to be accounted for and multiple shooters who can make you pay. That's what Brownell has been shhoting for sine he got here. Next season will be Brownell's first season his best players have returned

I understand that they are "shooters" - in high school.

Feb 12, 2014, 12:02 AM

Now, don't misunderstand me - I'm not saying that they won't be good shooters at Clemson, and give us exactly what we need; I'm saying that we don't know whether they will or not. They may not. We've seen highly rated players and guys that scored a gazillion points in high school get to Clemson and just never be able to make the ball go in the basket.

I also don't count on guys like Nnoko and Blossomgame improving to the degree that they go from not being offensive threats to suddenly being that. Sure it happens, and I will say Brownell and his staff do seem to be good at developing players, but again a lot of times it just doesn't happen.

I really don't disagree with you, but I will remain cautiously hopeful instead of confidently expectant.

- H. L. Mencken

Best thing about the 3 new guys next year is

Feb 12, 2014, 7:35 AM

that their are 3 of them. Can't remember when we've brought in 3 guys who have the rep as "great" shooters. Last great shooter we had was TO, and these guys rank with him. I think Nnoko takes a major step forward next season with another year of work. For JB, just being healthy and being able to work will be a tremendous help. I'm really excited about our future, and very pleased with this teams grit and performance this year. Really laying a sound foundation focused on the right things

I think all of that is very possible. One great thing,

Feb 12, 2014, 8:43 AM

talking about laying a foundation, the focus on defense the last few years will pay huge dividends going forward if we do indeed get some shooters. Sound, smart, tenacious defense is probably the hardest thing to get young players to buy into; Brownell has already cleared that hurdle with amazing success.

- H. L. Mencken

And everyone he recruits knows that mindset coming in

Feb 12, 2014, 8:48 AM

when this thing does get going, I just hope we can keep Brownell. Hopefully the upgrades will show him a commitment and he'll want to really establish a program for a long duration. That's what we have never had. No doubt he'll get some serious Big 10 suitors if this thing gets established

My thoughts exactly. Brownell can coach, no doubt. With

Feb 12, 2014, 10:02 AM

some stability and continuity in the program, plus new facilities and an ongoing commitment to the program, I'm hoping Brownell can attract better recruits. If so, our only problem will be keeping him at Clemson.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: some of these same fans said last year, wait til next year

Feb 11, 2014, 10:50 PM [ in reply to some of these same fans said last year, wait til next year ]

This year isnt a sign of turning around?

null

Mods - this guy has gotta go.***

Feb 11, 2014, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Let's review Brownell's horrible late coaching moves tonight ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

But he's my stalker Valentine!***

Feb 11, 2014, 10:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I DID hear you 2 were going out on a date. Lucky you !!!!***

Feb 12, 2014, 6:55 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Feb 11, 2014, 10:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Let's review Brownell's horrible late coaching moves tonight ]

I dont think you know what that word means.

null

I'm going to fail the test on this materiel for sure

Feb 11, 2014, 9:46 PM

*raises hand* so you are saying BB is a good coach?

Excellent coach, give him Duke's talent and he would be

Feb 11, 2014, 9:53 PM

top 10.

Re: Excellent coach, give him Duke's talent and he would be

Feb 11, 2014, 9:56 PM

Yea that's why everybody is knocking the door down to get him lol

I not in the know like you of who is and is not checking out

Feb 11, 2014, 10:00 PM

coaches. What coaches do you think will be moving and where after the season? Thanks.

Don't challenge this guy's knowledge - he played

Feb 11, 2014, 10:32 PM

on a state championship team as a freshman and can spell the word "basketball".

He once scored 4 TD's in a game as well***

Feb 11, 2014, 10:38 PM

Re: He once scored 4 TD's in a game as well***

Feb 11, 2014, 10:39 PM

Holy #### how did someone with his knowledge and athletic ability not make the league out of high school?

Must be his lack of a brain.

null

He has scored a bazillion TD's tonight alone. :)***

Feb 11, 2014, 10:42 PM [ in reply to He once scored 4 TD's in a game as well*** ]

lol, TU 4 u***

Feb 11, 2014, 10:43 PM

From me too.***

Feb 11, 2014, 10:57 PM

Re: He has scored a bazillion TD's tonight alone. :)***

Feb 11, 2014, 10:45 PM [ in reply to He has scored a bazillion TD's tonight alone. :)*** ]

I think he graduated Class of March from Phoenix Online.

null

Whoops, sorry. Just wanted to get the inside info.***

Feb 11, 2014, 10:51 PM [ in reply to Don't challenge this guy's knowledge - he played ]

BUT HE DID NOT CALL A TIMEOUT DARN IT***

Feb 11, 2014, 9:47 PM

You'd think he's Roy Williams or something

Feb 11, 2014, 9:49 PM

;)

Feb 11, 2014, 9:48 PM

I did not understand why Hall was out so much is he hurt/ sick? Seemed there was a long period he wasn't in. He also needs to take a few more shots

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because we were making a run with Filer in

Feb 11, 2014, 9:50 PM

Filer's quickness on D really helped set up the effectiveness of the 1-3-1 trap

What a difference a couple of days make. Check the posts

Feb 11, 2014, 9:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Let's review Brownell's horrible late coaching moves tonight ]

after the Syracuse game and people were wondering why he was playing. Go figure. I think that he has really improved this year.

I thought he coached a decent game. I'm more concerned about

Feb 11, 2014, 9:50 PM

the lack of talent on this team beyond KJ.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

It's really just a lack of shooters, and we have 3 coming in

next season. He gets guys quick enough to guard who can shoot, his system finally will be in place

I think we are making obvious progess, but we MUST find

Feb 11, 2014, 9:56 PM [ in reply to I thought he coached a decent game. I'm more concerned about ]

..some people who can score. I don't know if Blossingame, Roper, Harrison, Hall, Filer..heck, anyone, can step up as a reliable scoring threat, or if we need to wait until next season with Devoe, Rooks, etc., but we absolutely need a few guys who can score 10-15 a game.

And the team played with ONE DAYS rest(and traveled no less)

Feb 11, 2014, 9:51 PM

Great effort by the team and coaches. Has any other team in the ACC had this type of 7 game series this year? Probably not, especially Carolina and Duke. Go Tigers!!

The schedule doomed us tonight. Thanks ACC !

I can't fault BB on this one

Feb 11, 2014, 9:59 PM

Offensive schemes were pretty good overall. I would have preferred getting the ball inside a bit more, but not sure he has much confidence in the inside shooting. Some uncharacteristic missed free throws also hurt us. FG % has to improve as well.

That KJ play was pretty. Basically perfect except for the

Feb 11, 2014, 9:59 PM

Miss

Our boys played their hearts out-gotta be proud of them.***

Feb 11, 2014, 10:04 PM

Just wondering - do you naysayers ever count banners when/if you come to LJ?

Feb 11, 2014, 10:15 PM

Yes, there are a few.....a very few. BB is doing the very best he can with the VERY limited resources and lineage he inherited here. To expect UCLA or Kentucky-like success here is asking to be always disappointed. Instead, look for the steady improvement each year and see if the University responds with sincere investment in our hoops program.

The Brilliant play would have been shot closer to our bench

Feb 11, 2014, 10:52 PM

and it would have gone in the basket..

the only would a could a moment I saw***

Feb 11, 2014, 11:11 PM

opps would a coulda

Feb 11, 2014, 11:13 PM

Was the to after rod missed 1st free throw. I wishes he would have called it to let rod settle before he went to the line.

Looking back even if rod misses... Clemson would have known what to do and ND would not have been able to set a play.

But it did not matter.

1-3-1 was brilliant. I would like to see more of it.***

Feb 11, 2014, 11:20 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It pushed them completely out of their offense

Feb 12, 2014, 7:38 AM

and Atkins is no slouch at PG. KJ at the point was incredible. Wouldn't mind seeing some of it in a full court version at times as well to try to get some easy baskets. Not OP all out, but 4-6 times a game, after a made free throw could be disruptive

Put us back in the game!***

Feb 12, 2014, 8:49 AM [ in reply to 1-3-1 was brilliant. I would like to see more of it.*** ]

It was a great move but

Feb 12, 2014, 10:08 AM [ in reply to 1-3-1 was brilliant. I would like to see more of it.*** ]

Notre Dame finally figure it out in the 2nd OT, by getting it to the guy in the corner, or attacking the hole KJ leaves when he tries to jump the cross court pass. All in all though, used sparingly, the 1-3-1 can really disrupt teams.

Replies: 61
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic