Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
More AL media bias BS - Hurd may be next great QB Huh?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

More AL media bias BS - Hurd may be next great QB Huh?

Mar 22, 2017, 9:49 AM

This is a crock. What I dislike about the media. Total supposition, nothing else. The QB we saw in the Natty couldn't throw the ball and everybody saw it. Besides, AL is a RUNNING team not a passing team. How you gonna be the next great QB when you can't/don't throw the ball?

The drive that followed got most of the attention—and rightfully so—because it brought Clemson a national title and cemented Deshaun Watson’s legacy as one of college football’s all-time great quarterbacks. But perhaps we should examine the penultimate touchdown drive of the national title game more closely and consider what it might mean for the quarterback who engineered it.

Remember the circumstances? Clemson had just taken a 28–24 lead thanks to a Wayne Gallman touchdown run. Alabama got the ball back on its own 32-yard line with 4:38 remaining. A true freshman quarterback, who had struggled for weeks to throw the ball with any accuracy, had to drive his team 68 yards for a touchdown. Against one of the most ferocious pass rushes in college football. With a playcaller who had been on the job for eight days. In the national title game.

And he did it.

Forget everything else about Jalen Hurts’ first season as Alabama’s quarterback and just think about that drive. When the Crimson Tide absolutely, positively needed a touchdown against a defense that had shut down the offense for most of the second half on the game’s biggest stage, Hurts delivered that touchdown. That drive ended with him sprinting 30 yards up the middle and into the end zone. And if almost anyone other than Watson had been the other quarterback, Alabama would have another national title.

Hurts, who will begin his first spring practice as an incumbent starter on Tuesday, might be the most intriguing player in college football. At the start of last season, he looked as if he might make Alabama invincible. By season’s end, his throwing was the Crimson Tide’s biggest liability. But even though Hurts only completed one pass on that last drive—remember, ArDarius Stewart hit O.J. Howard for 24 yards on a trick play—the march down the field showed a spark that suggests Hurts can become exactly what we thought he could be when he first took over the starting job.

When Hurts won the starting job with his performance against USC in Alabama’s season opener, he appeared to be the one who would bridge the gap between the pro style offense Alabama ran for years and the spread-out, read option-heavy up-tempo schemes that had taken over the game. An offense that could combine those schemes would be virtually unstoppable—especially when paired with the kind of talent Alabama can collect. But then something strange happened. Either smart defensive coordinators figured out how to make Hurts uncomfortable as a thrower, or Hurts regressed as a passer after hitting a freshman wall or Alabama’s coordinators deliberately played more conservatively with Hurts.

The truth is it probably was a mix of those three factors. Go back and watch Hurts throw in that first game against USC compared to that final game against Clemson. He threw more confidently early in the season than he did late. He also threw for more yards, which would make more sense if Alabama’s schedule included all the cupcakes early. But it didn’t. It was fairly evenly distributed. Through the first seven games, Hurts completed 60% of his passes and averaged 7.9 yards per attempt. While the later results would suggest that Hurts’ accuracy fell off, the truth is he completed a higher percentage of passes (62.1) in Alabama’s final eight games. But his per-attempt average dropped to 6.7 yards.

By that national title game, Alabama had become more of a horizontal passing team. Steve Sarkisian—the offensive coordinator for that game only—took few risks down the field. And given the dominance of Alabama’s defense last year, that wasn’t a terrible game plan. As long as the Crimson Tide didn’t hand Clemson points with a turnover, they had a chance. The only time Sarkisian took the playcalling handcuffs off Hurts was that final possession. He had no other choice. And Hurts put Alabama in the end zone.

With Sarkisian off to run the Atlanta Falcons’ offense and Lane Kiffin cruising Del Boca Vista (Phase Three) as FAU’s head coach, former New England Patriots tight ends coach—and three-time NFL offensive coordinator—Brian Daboll takes over Hurts and the rest of the Crimson Tide offense. It will be curious to see how the NFL transplant handles the parts of Alabama’s offense that were installed as responses to changes in the college game. Hurts is there specifically because coach Nick Saban wanted a quarterback who can run and throw. So is Tua Tagovailoa, the freshman from Hawaii who will try to take the job from Hurts just as Hurts took the job from all of Alabama’s (since transferred) older quarterbacks last year. Presumably, Alabama’s offense will not revert to the AJ McCarron era.

Saban’s plan will likely evolve while still keeping a pro-style foundation. That is crucial to prepare Alabama’s offensive players for the NFL. The list of players drafted is the Crimson Tide’s best recruiting tool, so to keep the superior talent coming, Saban knows the players need to be prepared for the next level. But Saban also wants to take advantage of what the college rules allow, so don’t expect him to scrap the wrinkles Alabama began adding in 2014 when Blake Sims started at quarterback.

If Hurts can use this offseason to develop as a passer, he might ultimately leave college football with the same kind of reputation as Watson. Few people could handle the pressure of starting at quarterback at Alabama as a true freshman. Saban knew that, and that’s why he was cautious last summer to make Hurts the starter even though then-coordinator Kiffin was pushing for it. “You’ve got to make sure they’re ready,” Kiffin said in December. “If you put them in and they play bad, they may be ruined forever. … Alabama is so football everywhere you go. When you do great, you’re going to hear you’re really great all the time. When you do bad, you’re going to hear you’re really bad all the time.”

But Hurts could manage that pressure. He lost a fumble on his first play against USC and still went out and staked his claim to the QB1 spot. “I’m sure many people thought I was done after I fumbled the ball,” Hurts said in December. “My teammates didn’t give up on me, and my coaches didn’t give up on me. That’s all that matters to me.” He proved it again at Ole Miss when he led the Tide on a touchdown drive immediately after coughing up a fumble that was returned for a touchdown that put the Crimson Tide down 21. Hurts wound up throwing for 158 yards and running for 146. Most importantly, Alabama wound up winning 48–43. “There’s this meme somewhere,” Hurts said. “Jalen Hurts when he throws an interception. Jalen Hurts when he throws a touchdown. Jalen Hurts when he fumbles. It’s just a straight face.”

That straight face will help Hurts now. Saban does not like his players to get comfortable. Tagovailoa will get his chances even if Hurts appears to have firm control of the job. Hurts clearly understands Saban’s motivational style, and it doesn’t seem to bother him. “Everybody thinks he’s mean for some reason,” said Hurts, who claims the “### chewings” from his high school coach father Averion Hurts surpassed any Saban has delivered. “I don’t know why. He’s a cool guy.”

That description will get tested if Hurts doesn’t improve as a passer this offseason. But if Hurts stays cool and evolves into the quarterback his last drive suggests he can be, the possibilities for Alabama’s offense may be limitless.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/alabama-crimson-tide-jalen-hurts-032017

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He had a great freshman season and could be a great QB.

Mar 22, 2017, 9:51 AM

I don't understand why this is "media bias."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I agree, why down play our competition. Bama is a great team

Mar 22, 2017, 10:11 AM

and Hurts should have a successful career. yes he's surrounded by great talent but so was Watson and no one denies that he is a great QB.

Hurts is good. This isn't bias.

ObiWan

My only question is did he even throw the ball on the

Mar 22, 2017, 11:06 AM

last drive?

A true freshman quarterback, who had struggled for weeks to throw the ball with any accuracy, had to drive his team 68 yards for a touchdown. Against one of the most ferocious pass rushes in college football. With a playcaller who had been on the job for eight days. In the national title game.

Looked it up - 2/3 for 9 yards

He also has a lot of other great talent around him***

Mar 22, 2017, 10:30 AM [ in reply to He had a great freshman season and could be a great QB. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

So did DW4***

Mar 22, 2017, 11:04 AM

Yes but not nearly as much...

Mar 22, 2017, 1:41 PM

at least based on the recruiting rankings

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

You sure you arnt upset due to your bias?

Mar 22, 2017, 9:54 AM

"Freshman lead his team to the nc game"...has upside written all over it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: You sure you arnt upset due to your bias?

Mar 22, 2017, 10:02 AM

I agree. It doesn't matter if he can't throw it like DW4. He has planty of tools in the bag over there that AL will be a great team again this year. So will we, even though DW4 is gone. It's what elite programs do. They reload, and we have become that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've heard other media members say they believe

Mar 22, 2017, 9:59 AM

Tua Tagovailoa will beat him out for job either this year or next. It might be difficult for Hurts to become the next great QB if he's on the bench.

I don't see any media bias in that....

Mar 22, 2017, 10:06 AM

However, I do find it funny that there was a headline on my phone yesterday insinuating their new freshman tua t. can beat him out for the starting job this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

No. He can't throw the ball. He's got great talent around

Mar 22, 2017, 10:07 AM

him, a great running game and a great defense to take the pressure off him. Can he throw the ball accurately when everybody knows they have to throw it? No.

Good college quarterback, but not a passer and not an NFL QB.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More AL media bias BS - Hurd may be next great QB Huh?

Mar 22, 2017, 10:09 AM

Watson could drop a dime on day 1. If he didn't have the skill in the NCG last year he never will.

Look at jackson...all the talk about him developing his passing in the offseason...he still sucked at passing last year. If it weren't for Bo Scarborough and the defense Hurts would have lost his job last year.

agree with everything in the article.

Mar 22, 2017, 10:33 AM

Especially the part about them winning the game if Watson had not had 2 mins to win the game.
I won't be taking anything away from Alabama.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let us not forget, yeah, Hurts had the long run for the TD

Mar 22, 2017, 12:36 PM

but he by far led ANYTHING downfield. Who made the long downfield throw again? Was that Jalen Hurts? My memory is fuzzy. Dude is Cullen Harper with legs. Let's be honest. He won't finish his career as the starter at Alabama.

Is that really such a stretch? Didn't he get to the

Mar 22, 2017, 10:43 AM

national championship as a freshman?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Hurts is a very good college

Mar 22, 2017, 10:50 AM

Quarterback on an outstanding team. No question about that. As I recall, this great signal caller and supporting cast of super offensive players had a real tough time converting third downs against a team considerably better. The final score is not indicative of how dominant CLEMSON was in this game. Hats off to Bama!
GO TIGERS

But why is it "media bias BS" to suggest Hurts may be

Mar 22, 2017, 10:59 AM

the next great college QB?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

We were dominant in the 4th quarter, but i wouldn't say

Mar 22, 2017, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Hurts is a very good college ]

we were dominant in the game at all.

If DW doesn't lead The Tigers on the most epic drive in all

Mar 22, 2017, 11:28 AM

of human history, then Hurd would have instantly become known as the kid that lead Bama on one of their most excellent drives ever. He would've instantly become the hottest QB this side of Joe Montana.

That said - any article that says of a QB: "If (he can) develop as a passer" is kind of suspect. I'm sure all QBs would like to develop as a passer...most don't because it ain't easy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They had a lot of great things to say about Watson and

Mar 22, 2017, 11:42 AM

Clemson in general. They did have a great drive to retake the lead. Perfect scenario for Clemson's winning drive to make the title game one of the best college games in history.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More AL media bias BS - Hurd may be next great QB Huh?

Mar 22, 2017, 12:04 PM

I would say that, from the little bit I've seen, Kelly Bryant would be just as successful as Hurd in the Bama offense. I would think that KB can run just as well or better, and can throw better. Freshman or not, Hurd has not proved that he can throw, so there is no way I can call him great at this point in his career. If he's great, then so is Bryant. JMO

I agree with the OP on this one.

I thought Hurd was transferring...

Mar 22, 2017, 12:14 PM

from UT

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

.......that can't beat Clemson.***

Mar 22, 2017, 2:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic