Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell's call in show last night
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 3,303

Brownell's call in show last night

Jan 6, 2015, 6:20 AM

I hope many of you "fans" had a chance to listen. Brad took many poignant questions ranging from recruiting to style of play to individual struggles of certain players. And he had a high level answer ready for them all. He was very direct in stating that we have to shoot better and that KJ leaving early caught them pretty much off guard. So no we have guys who are role players, much like KJ was his soph year, having to be " the man". They just aren't quite ready. It's part of player development. We do not, for the most part, get kids who can step in and be the guy right away. Grantham has done that. BB expect him to be 35% 3 pt guy, but he's sitting at 24 right now. He simply is still trying to find his legs.....all part of adjusting to the pace of the college game.

Anyways, I thought coach did a very good job on some very tough questions last night. Hope you got to listen. Made me relax a little as far as where the program is and is headed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This basketball program is in good hands

Jan 6, 2015, 6:37 AM

some people just don't understand the challenges involved, or they just don't like BB's style of basketball.

It's undeniable that his style, with the right players, is a nightmare for opponents.

He just needs the right kids who can consistently perform at the level they are capable of.

Let me know when he wins...you know...like our last coach.***

Jan 6, 2015, 7:10 AM

Re: Let me know when he wins...you know...like our last coach.***

Jan 6, 2015, 7:24 AM

Sure thing as you are one of those "fans".

A fan who likes fun basketball and winning? Guilty.***

Jan 6, 2015, 10:03 AM

I've always found him to be very level headed and

Jan 6, 2015, 6:43 AM

well spoken. I really hope he can improve on this year and give us some steam into next year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: I've always found him to be very level headed and

Jan 6, 2015, 7:08 AM

So what he is saying is, we were going to be a one man team, but our one man went to the NBA, so we have no body and maybe in 2 or 3 years somebody will start scoring? If this is true, he is telling the fans we wont win but a couple of ACC games if we are lucky and help might be on the way in 2017. Gonna be a lot of empty seats in Greenville next year.

Jan 6, 2015, 7:09 AM [ in reply to I've always found him to be very level headed and ]

I remember thinking the same thing about Larry Shyatt on his call in show and his weekly segment with Dan Scott when he was on WCCP. Everything sounded great in theory.

Jan 6, 2015, 7:29 AM

If you seriously think of Coach BB as same as Shyatt then there is no help for you.

Jan 6, 2015, 8:34 AM

Agree.

I listened, as well. He had good answers.

Jan 6, 2015, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Re: I've always found him to be very level headed and ]

Shyatt's 13-2 at Wyoming this season and was highly sought after as an assistant and even turned down other head coaching opportunities. The parallels between him and Brownell are actually growing. Both struggled with recruiting. And both consented to off campus seasons to improve facilities. But those seasons away even more adversely affect recruiting and by the time you try and capitalize on the new facilities the tide is so far turned against you it is insurmountable. I hope otherwise and like Brownell but will be surprised if we win 4 ACC games in the next two years based on how we have looked so far this season. He's definitely here next year no matter how bad it gets, but I will be very surprised if he survives to coach the 2016-17 season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2015, 9:56 AM

While I must confess from a W/L point of view, Shyatt wasn't considered successful, he loved Clemson University. I always appreciated that about him, he was"All In" before the phrase was coined. I sort of feel the same about Brownell, he represents our University very well and I hope his season turns the corner and makes a run at a winning record.

He's a better coach than Shyatt, but it's not working here.***

Jan 6, 2015, 10:04 AM [ in reply to Re: I've always found him to be very level headed and ]

I enjoyed the part where he said he really had to convince

Jan 6, 2015, 7:09 AM

Roper that "yes, we'd like you to drive and shoot" when the occasion warrants it.

Re: Brownell's call in show last night

Jan 6, 2015, 7:14 AM

The only part that bothers me is the statement that he didn't expect KJ to leave early. I saw that coming about half way through the season. I think that he wanted him to stay so badly that it blurred his vision.

Please, PLEASE

Jan 6, 2015, 7:21 AM

I am not a dumper and truly am a Tiger fan so I'm NOT looking for an online argument but want to talk about the basketball program.
The worst thing we could do right now is FIRE ANYONE! That said I am concerned about the program.
Brad had a very good first year then slipped until last year but is undoubtedly headed for a poor record again this year. We lost an outstanding player in KJ but other programs lose players and don't suffer as badly.
How many years will it take to have "his" players in place so we can enjoy good, consistent seasons?
I appreciate his recruiting quality young men, players that show character. And I'm told he's a great Xs & Os coach.
But I think Clemson shouldn't settle for a basketball (or any other) program simply because the university doesn't have a strong history in that sport.
If it were easy, many, many others would be happy to did it for less money.
Again, I'm a Tiger and look forward to our improving everything about the university for Clemson is THE UNIVERSITY IN SOUTH CAROLINA!
Go Tigers!!

Re: Please, PLEASE

Jan 6, 2015, 8:20 AM

I think w his extension it will be a while before anyone else coches our tigers

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2015, 7:26 AM

While that is all well and good, our starting guards are seniors and Roper is a junior. They should be ready to carry this team while the big guys develop. I don't think any of us have grandiose expectations of being a top tier ACC team this season, but the losses to Gardner Webb and Winthrop and Rutgers remain inexcusable and getting completely destroyed on our home floor Saturday and by SCAR is a cause for concern.
Hoping for progress, but the next 3 games on the road are brutal.

How could KJ leaving early catch him off guard?***

Jan 6, 2015, 8:33 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

maybe bb was focused on signing all the transfer papers?

Jan 6, 2015, 8:36 AM

could happen

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you think prior to last season KJ would leave early?

Jan 6, 2015, 9:22 AM [ in reply to How could KJ leaving early catch him off guard?*** ]

you do your planning the year before, and no one saw the year KJ had coming. No one

Even with KJ's big year we didn't get to the tournament and

Jan 6, 2015, 10:17 AM [ in reply to How could KJ leaving early catch him off guard?*** ]

losing one player shouldn't tank your team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It can if you don't have a proven team leader....

Jan 6, 2015, 10:31 AM

KJ was the team leader and the heeart and soul of the team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

When Blossomgame and Grantham return next year

Jan 6, 2015, 1:47 PM

for the first time in his tenure Brownell will have not only his best player but second best player return. KJ was head and shoulders better than anyone else last season, and his early departure which was completely unforeseen prior to the season, continued the fact Brownell has never returned his best guys. Not once. That's a tough hole to climb out of at Clemson. For the future of the program we need Jaron and Donte to emerge as those leaders you speak of. I can see it coming with Jaron, and Brad is definitely trying to instill that in Grantham as well.

Hall and Harrison are high character guys and good role players, but neither is a demonstrative leader or take charge guy. Rod played off KJ last year and could take control from time to time, but without KJ he has taken a step back

i'm sure coach brownlee is a terrific coach & person, well

Jan 6, 2015, 8:40 AM

deserving of your support, but it's still comical to watch considering how butt hurt you are by dabo.

carry on though, i'm grabbing the trail mix.

Ouch ....***

Jan 6, 2015, 8:56 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2015, 9:04 AM

amazing to me how a certain group always complains no matter what about coaches and players then we get a big recruit and these same idiots draw wood and we get all the welcome to the clemson "family" congratulations. i count this group as homeless clemson fans. a very sad bunch.

do the homeless clemson fans sleep in the alley

Jan 6, 2015, 9:12 AM

behind walmart?

Jan 6, 2015, 9:08 AM

OP is a #### lover and a troll.

null

Every time I listen to coach Brownell I come away

Jan 6, 2015, 10:38 AM

impressed. He is extremely level headed and seems to fully understand the situation he's in and exactly what it will take to get the job done. He "gets it". I like him a lot, and I always feel that he's the guy for the job. Then I look at the record, and the results; 5 years in and we are on a downward trajectory. I want him to succeed in the worst way, and maybe he still can; but he is fast approaching a point, in my mind at least, where the results must come, and must come quickly and resoundingly. No basketball coach, no matter how much I like him or how "good" he is supposed to be, deserves 7-8 years to produce results; to suggest such is simply ludicrous, and is an indication of how low our expectations have fallen.

Under Brownell, we have gone from a team that was consistently in the NCAA tourney (4 years in a row), to a team that for 4 years now can't so much as sniff the NCAA, and is dang lucky to make the NIT. Now, in year 5, we are at a decade-long low. I don't care what other stats you throw out there, that is an undeniable downward trajectory, and we are significantly worse now than when Brownell arrived 5 years ago.

As I've said before, the support and commitment has not been there for Clemson basketball for some time, and that is not Brownell's fault, and in that respect it is unfair and unfortunate for him. That does not mean that at some point a good coach who is failing doesn't need to be replaced in order to breathe new life into the program. Brownell will be back next year no matter what, but if things don't improve dramatically in year 6, then it's silly to keep going down that same path; no other program who is serious about basketball would entertain such a notion, and neither should we.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Every time I listen to coach Brownell I come away

Jan 6, 2015, 10:44 AM

We have not seen eye to eye on a lot of things but nice post agree 100%.

null

Re: Every time I listen to coach Brownell I come away

Jan 6, 2015, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Every time I listen to coach Brownell I come away ]

Since CBB's buyout is $5mm for the next two years, I think he has at least two more years. If the AD fires him next year after giving him an extension and that buyout, then the AD needs to be fired shortly after.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Ok, so BB has a good call in show

Jan 6, 2015, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Every time I listen to coach Brownell I come away ]

and comes across well in person. But what Clemson fans want are some meaningful Ws! Not expecting him to have us in the top 2 or 3 in the league right away, but this very good record in his first year followed by 2 down years, then up and now headed for near disaster, this needs to end. Don't want him fired but do expect results.
Go Tigers!!

Replies: 32
| visibility 3,303
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic