Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Petition: Allow Concealed Carry on South Carolina Campuses
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Petition: Allow Concealed Carry on South Carolina Campuses

Nov 30, 2016, 1:48 PM

https://www.change.org/p/nikki-haley-or-future-sc-governor-allow-concealed-carry-on-south-carolina-campuses

College students don't lose their First Amendment rights when they set foot on College Campuses. The same is true of their Second Amendment rights and, in light of recent attacks on campuses across the country, students shouldn't have to choose between pursuing their studies and engaging in personal protection. Please sign the petition above if you agree:

"We, the undersigned, do hereby petition the Governor, Senate, and House of Representatives of the state of South Carolina to amend S.C. Code Ann. § 16-23-420(A) and 16-23-430(B) to allow Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP) holders to carry firearms on public South Carolina post-secondary campuses.

Essentially, it is illegal for non-CWP holders to have any firearm on South Carolina college campuses, while CWP holders are allowed to leave their firearm in their motor vehicle, provided the vehicle is locked and the firearm is secured in a "closed container secured by an integral fastener." What use is a CWP permit to a college student like myself if I cannot regularly carry a firearm?

Why should students like myself be forced to choose between personal protection and the pursuit of a career?

According to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) website, as of December 31, 2015, there are 276,084 active CWP holders in South Carolina. In addition, there are over 14.5 million concealed carry permit holders nationwide. Publicly available data shows that CWP holders are a potent force for good.

A 2016 report by the Crime Prevention Research Center suggests that concealed carry permit holders are one of the most law-abiding groups in the country, with a crime rate (misdemeanors and felonies) of less than a sixth (2.4 per 100,000) the rate of police officers (16.5 per 100,000). In addition, while the nationwide concealed carry permit total has risen by as much as 190% from 2007-2015, the violent crime rate declined by 18% in that same period."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not interested. Take your gun to the bar--not to class.***

Nov 30, 2016, 2:08 PM

Done***

Nov 30, 2016, 2:20 PM

Re: Petition: Allow Concealed Carry on South Carolina Campuses

Nov 30, 2016, 2:22 PM

Done

Are you insane? Do you not realize all the violence in this country...

Nov 30, 2016, 2:50 PM

And how many school shootings have happened. Last thing we need is college students, some of which go through emotional ups and downs, packing guns. And a student pulling a gun out in an active shooter situation would leave themselves open to being pinned as the active shooter by police showing up on the scene.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we should ban cars and butcher knives from campuses.***

Nov 30, 2016, 2:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...not until we ban spoons***

Nov 30, 2016, 2:57 PM

DOWN WITH THE FRESHMAN 15!!!

...or for some, FRESHMAN 50!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure...but you'll allow sporks!...??***

Nov 30, 2016, 3:14 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly

Nov 30, 2016, 3:11 PM [ in reply to Are you insane? Do you not realize all the violence in this country... ]

could have a situation with 5 people running around with guns. who's the initial "gunman"?

I wake up and go to my 8am class and see my classmates with guns on them and im supposed to feel more safe? lol

Nov 30, 2016, 3:07 PM

I actually have some fairly leftist views on gun control. I'd be all about the 2nd Amendment - if it matters anymore. The whole idea of the 2nd Amendment was that we didn't trust our governments, and were going to offset the power of the Federal government with armed citizen state militias that could and would supplant the Feds if they got out of control. That no longer applies, since warfare has long-since moved on from willing Minutemen with muskets being able to destabilize an oppressive government...since the government now has tanks, planes, napalm, smart bombs, spy satellites, and almost ubiquitious NSA surveillance over the entire country's communications apparatus. The militias have some, uhm, catch-up to do if they wanna compete with that, and barring that, the only thing guns are really good for anymore is shooting civilians. Especially unarmed civilians.

The problem is that catchword "unarmed civilian". In the era of mass shootings, when any maniac can go buy himself a stock-standard AR-15 off the rack at Bass Pro Shop and then go take out fifty people on a campus or a movie theatre, what these yahoos are counting on is that the civilians they intend to massacre are indeed unarmed (and thus unable to fight back) and so it's just so incredibly appealing for them to roll up to a school...since there's just a whole bunch of unarmed civvies for them to kill there. Given how hostile the Internetz and social media can be I'm almost amazed it doesn't happen every day, nowadays.

So my thinking is: make up your mind. If you're going to allow yahoos to purchase overpowered semi-auto weapons, you'd durn well better have a bunch of people carrying concealed in public spaces to allow them to protect themselves.

Personally I'd favor banning everything except slow-firing hunting rifles and shotguns for home defense, but since the NRA and the public are never going to let that happen anytime soon and the AR-15 and its ilk are going to be a part of American society for the foreseeable future, all you're doing by banning concealed is creating public spaces where people can't protect themselves. Because the maniacs just keep coming, and why not, since there's nobody to stop them right now?

about the dumbest thing possible

Nov 30, 2016, 3:10 PM

this idea that a vigilant sharpshooter could stop a school shooting is beyond preposterous.

Nov 30, 2016, 3:43 PM

This is stupid. Creates confusion for cops and students. Creates dangerous situations on campus with arming stressed and emotional students, not to mention accidental firings may occur. Creates unnecessary distractions during in the learning environment. Does not necessarily stop shooters. Issuing bulletproof vests may actually be a less moronic "solution". We get it, you like your guns. But I'm going to be thinking about the .45 on your hip going off while I'm taking an exam.

Nov 30, 2016, 3:43 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=948-2Vzgi3w

Oh yes, perfect

Nov 30, 2016, 5:00 PM

Let's encourage a bunch of underage, immature, and quick-to-react kids to carry firearms around AT SCHOOL.

This should absolutely put an end to violence and shootings on college campuses.

LOL, what a joke

Re: Oh yes, perfect

Nov 30, 2016, 5:32 PM

Oh, I agree it's a ludicrous solution. Totally freaking Wild West.

The problem we have now is, these massacres don't look like they're going to stop anytime soon. And if you've got a public space where you know there's a bunch of vulnerable, unarmed civilians, you're going to continue to see massacres at these public places.

If you won't ban the semi-auto assault rifles and even handguns like the one the VT shooter used - he had just a 9mm Glock 19 and a Walther P22 and still killed 33 people, just going room-to-room - you kind of have to let everybody carry them or you create these vacuums where crazies can go off like that. Maybe the population of schools has changed since I was there but I went to school with more than a few guys (and girls) on GI scholarships, people with thorough weapons training, and if there's even a handful of those guys floating around on a college campus carrying concealed it's going to be a lot harder for a lone shooter to go on that kind of rampage.

An ideal solution? Hardly. I agree with all the people who say it's just about the worst idea ever and will likely create far more problems than it solves but until the maniacs realize that there's goats mixed in with the sheep these massacres are going to keep happening, too.

Just saying, either we're an armed society, or we're not. And decide.

Good point

Dec 1, 2016, 10:46 AM

If it boils down to that, then I choose unarmed

you'd still have to be 21 and have a CWP permit

Dec 1, 2016, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Oh yes, perfect ]

that would apply to only several hundred students, not 25,000.

I do believe professors and other qualified administrators having the ability to carry, or have a weapon in their offices would be a good thing overall. Would prevent many more tragedies than it would cause, despite what some think.

Just ONE qualified person in the building at VT could have prevented dozens of victims from being shot. May not have prevented one classroom from being attacked, but the coward would not have made it to four different classrooms, that's for sure.

Nov 30, 2016, 5:32 PM

The amount of people that don't realize you have to be 21 to carry that you have to pay for a license and take a course (which 95% or more of the emotional fragile youth of our days will never do beside the cost of owning a concealable gun) the good statistics that back up private carry and how often they brush shoulders with someone carrying without incident or undue fear of death is amazing. Also most don't understand that CWP holders don't want to be heros and would gladly "assume the position" post incident and endure arrest and questioning if they thought that their firearm could protect or save human lives.

Nope. I'm all for gun ownership, but not this...***

Dec 1, 2016, 8:55 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Crime Prevention Research Center????

Dec 1, 2016, 9:18 AM

Sorry, although I have no problem with CWP holders carrying on campus, or with them not being allowed to, I have a problem with anyone using Crime Prevention Research Center, aka John Lott, aka Mary Rosh(the sock puppet he used to write favorable reviews of his books and defend himself from critics), as a source for any valid research. That cat has been caught in so many LIES and so much questionable research that can't be duplicated or even proven by him, that I can't value anything he says.

A great idea! Think of how many people would have a chance

Dec 1, 2016, 9:22 AM

to be heroes!

Dec 1, 2016, 9:50 AM

We have this in Utah and there have been ZERO problems with it.

Since CWP holders must be 21 anyway there are lots of college students that this doesn't apply to anyway. From what I've been able to deduce, most of the CWP holders that carry on college campuses here are 1). Faculty and Staff and 2). Law enforcement officers taking continuing education courses. The actual number of students that carry is low.

FWIW, this posting is coming from a registered democrat that is a firearm owner and strong supporter of the 2nd amendment.

Good luck getting this passed.

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Here's a little history on it from this state.

Dec 1, 2016, 9:52 AM

http://abcnews.go.com/US/LegalCenter/story?id=2469016

http://idahoreporter.com/33557/concealed-carry-caused-much-problem-utah-campuses/

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

I have a CWP but this is dumb IMO***

Dec 1, 2016, 11:05 AM

Let me get this straight...

Dec 1, 2016, 11:15 AM

With all school shootings in our country... Let's allow students to openly carry guns? No, just no.

There's some fires in Tennessee, why don't you just go start another fire in the neighboring towns? No.

I don't understand the "this is dumb" posts

Dec 1, 2016, 11:20 AM

First of all, there's a reason campuses are targets for gun violence - only the attackers have guns.
Secondly, a CWP proves you are not a criminal (you must pass a background check). So there are zero new criminals with weapons.
Finally, depriving someone of the right to protect themselves is in and of itself criminal.

A bill allowing this has passed the Florida House and hopefully becomes law. Let's put an end to campus gun shootings.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic