Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Leonard's Loosers Radio Show was a neat & funny prediction of up-coming college FB games..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Leonard's Loosers Radio Show was a neat & funny prediction of up-coming college FB games..

Jun 24, 2019, 3:32 PM

and Leonard died about 18 yrs ago, was a UGa grad & wrote/broadcasted from Athens.

Anyone here remember him & his funny stuff?

Done in a rural delivery style of Jerry Clower.

Believe retired Coach Frank Howard represented & sold the printed version.

~ ~ ~

College mascot names were made funny, like:

Bama = Pachyderms (Elephants)

UGa = Red Clay Hounds (Dogs)

Tn = The Riflemen (Volunteers)

ND = Pope's Students (Irish)

UFl = Giant Water Lizards (Gators)

CU = Felines (Tigers)

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Leonard's Loosers Radio Show was a neat & funny pick of up-coming college FB games..

Jun 24, 2019, 3:40 PM

Yep, listened as often as I could. He called the coots the poultry from Columbia and us the felines from Pickens co.

Now get me outta here Percy!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Leonard's Loosers Radio Show was a neat & funny pick of up-coming college FB games..

Jun 24, 2019, 3:56 PM

I really enjoyed the show especially listening to it on Armed Forces radio overseas in Europe.

Sometimes, he would call Clemson....those spelling tigers

Leonard's loser in a close one..

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember listening to his predictions of our games and

Jun 25, 2019, 10:32 AM

holding my breath during that pause between the "Leonard's loser..." and whoever his prediction was. That pause was only a half second but seemed like forever. And it sure would take the air out of my sails if he picked us to lose. Thankfully that didn't happen too often.

"The Pickens County Pride paws its way up to College Park this weekend to try and set their claws to the terps from Maryland. But those Tigers are gonna find out that them turtles have a lil more snap than expected. Leonard's loser...in a close one.........Maryland."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Leonard was a fraud

Jun 24, 2019, 3:54 PM

Everyone knows that Percy Peabody was the brains behind that show.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Leonard was a fraud

Jun 24, 2019, 5:34 PM

w/ a name like Peabody he must have had urinary issues. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A name like "Post Toasties" ?***

Jun 25, 2019, 10:43 AM

Jun 24, 2019, 4:02 PM

Leonard's Loser in a close one: Alabama

Leonard's Looser . . . South Carolina

Jun 24, 2019, 4:11 PM

Enjoy a memory:

https://youtu.be/orNSnTzRBW0

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Leonard's Looser . . . South Carolina

Jun 24, 2019, 9:17 PM

Wow .... thanks - Skeeta !! -:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jun 24, 2019, 4:13 PM

Sure do Bill. I listened to his picks every Saturday.

Leonard was awesome. One of the wittiest guys ever.***

Jun 24, 2019, 4:14 PM

I remember hearing him in the parking lot at South Bend***

Jun 24, 2019, 4:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Re: Leonard's Loosers Radio Show was a neat & funny prediction of up-coming college FB games..

Jun 24, 2019, 4:27 PM

Loved his shows! Leonard Post-toastees, or something like that!

The Pigskin Prophet is the closest we have now. Love those posts, too!

Re: Leonard's Loosers Radio Show was a neat & funny prediction of up-coming college FB games..

Jun 24, 2019, 4:35 PM

He always had a little something extra to say about the Georgia vs Clemson game. His shows were very entertaining and didn't take all day to listen to.

Leonard's Looser... South Carolina

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Used to love to listen to him when I was a kid. Couldn't

Jun 24, 2019, 4:46 PM

wait for him to get to the Clemson game. Thanks sho ain't like they used to be. Just a very different time.

Jun 24, 2019, 4:49 PM

I loved to listen to Leonard’s losers. There were also printed versions that you could pick up around town.

Jun 24, 2019, 4:53 PM

Right out of college I bought the distribution rights to his paper publication for Greenville County. I never will forget the first time I met him. Drive to his house in Athens. He put me in his Cadillac and off we went to Athens Country Club to sign the distribution rights paperwork and negotiate the terms. He was driving close to 90 mph while listening to Beethoven turned up as loud as his stereo would play it. Quite the character.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 24, 2019, 5:02 PM

Sure do. It was a Friday before gameday tradition back in late 70’s. Always listened as Friday afternoon regular

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 24, 2019, 5:22 PM

Will always remember riding to games with daddy and listening. Seems like we also picked up a newsletter type thing that had write ups. Great memories.

Jun 24, 2019, 5:39 PM

I certainly do Bill. It was great listening to him on the ride up before the games. He always something spicy or funny to add.

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jun 24, 2019, 6:07 PM

Used to love listening to his program during football season.

Jun 24, 2019, 6:58 PM

“Coach Devine and his flock of bead stringers.”

Jun 24, 2019, 8:44 PM

Yes, good memories!

Jun 24, 2019, 8:52 PM

Absolutely loved the show and everything associated with Leonard. His way of connecting the dots was so unique and humorous. Great program and wonderful memories!

yes I am that old***

Jun 24, 2019, 10:27 PM

hope this works...

Jun 25, 2019, 12:14 AM

<###### async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

Re: yes I am that old***

Jun 25, 2019, 9:05 AM [ in reply to yes I am that old*** ]

Listened to is broadcasts that came on just before the Pregame broadcasts. He always hated picking when UGA and Clemson played. That used to be every year especially from the late 70's through the 80's. It also usually marked some great football.

Jun 25, 2019, 3:59 AM

Great Show! No politics just sports.

Yes I loved listening to Leonard's Losers!

Jun 25, 2019, 6:18 AM

Great radio show so good everyone in the car would quiet down to hear.

“Pickens County Pride”

Jun 25, 2019, 6:31 AM

Is one I remember

Jun 25, 2019, 8:04 AM

His show was an absolute hallmark of my fall Saturdays in Spartanburg. When I hear him now, I am throwing the football again in the front yard waiting for Jim Phillips to call the away game on the radio or I am in the car heading to Death Valley in my orange overalls with my Tiger Rag in hand. Ah the memories, good, good memories.

That was pretty much exactly my experience, too, and in the

Jun 25, 2019, 9:57 AM

same town, no less.

" This is Leonard Post Toastie sayin ....

Jun 25, 2019, 8:52 AM

Get me outa here Percy ... "

cue the banjos

sorry if already posted, but listen to the first one

Jun 25, 2019, 10:38 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orNSnTzRBW0

Jun 25, 2019, 9:12 AM

Unfortunately in those days (mid-70's), Clemson was sometimes listed on " Leonard's list of likely loosers". That das always a disappointment.

He was quite simply, the best. I didn't care if he got the

Jun 25, 2019, 9:42 AM

predictions right or not, just listening to the delivery was worth it. Percy Peabody and his Little Smart Pill Machine. I miss Leonard Post Toasties, and Jim Phillips. (And even Bob Fulton, who will always be the Voice of the Lamecocks to me, Toad Ellis be dayumed!)

Jun 25, 2019, 11:24 AM

Coach Howard had nothing to do with Leonard's Losers. It was a weekly publication called The Kickoff. It featured scores, team records, stats and had a section where they predicted the winner of each game that week. It was in a pamphlet format and was distributed via subscription. Coach Howard usually had a stack nearby to give out and was always trying to get folks to subscribe.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Jun 25, 2019, 12:14 PM

Miami was the Motza Warriors

More accurately "Pickens County Felines"***

Jun 25, 2019, 3:33 PM

Met Leonard once, then knew more about him in Athens.

Jun 25, 2019, 3:57 PM

He came and spoke at my high school in 1981 when we won Natty #1. I asked him about Clemson's chances to win it all and he said he didn't think so, didn't think we'd get past UNC, BUT added "my opinion don't mean a thing". He was actually pretty humble and was saying that it's just a radio show, his opinion did carry any more weight than anyone else's.

Then about a decade later I was living in Athens, GA. Turns out his real name was Leonard Postero and he was a legend around Athens over and above the radio show. He was a businessman who was into a variety of things including real estate. Everybody knew him. Larry Munson just referred to him as "Postero".

My Penn State in laws LOVED them some Leonard's Losers. Leonard was not just a Southern thing. Anywhere people really loved college football they loved Leonard's Losers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

another thing he said was he explained why he only picked

Jun 25, 2019, 5:13 PM

college football.

It was because that was the one sport where all games were on the same day.

LAWWWWD how times have changed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic