Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lemme drop a little restaurant knowledge on you.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 531

Lemme drop a little restaurant knowledge on you.

Oct 9, 2018, 9:12 PM

You ready? Here it is: I make better shrimps and grits than any restaurant in Charleston. I've had most of the flavors at Acme. I've crushed Hominy Grill's. Had Early Bird Diner's last weekend.

But here we are.

Next door neighbor pulled a 5 gallon bucket full from a coupla creeks this weekend. He's set for the winter. Mebbe he'll share more. I should have taken him a plate.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Village Grill pics look more tasty.***

Oct 9, 2018, 9:15 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My dinner invitation must have gotten lost in the mail.***

Oct 9, 2018, 9:15 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you ship?***

Oct 9, 2018, 9:16 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

mercy miss percy, make a puppy pull a freight train....

Oct 9, 2018, 9:19 PM

looking good son, looking good. yumola.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Fuçk shrimp!!!

Oct 9, 2018, 9:30 PM

Good grits just need a little butter and salt.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How much you had to drink 7spots?

Oct 9, 2018, 9:35 PM

Bc saying F shrimp... not cool

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s cool if you say it with an accent!

Oct 9, 2018, 10:01 PM

Plus I had a couple.

Here's a confession.

Oct 9, 2018, 9:42 PM [ in reply to Fuçk shrimp!!! ]

I never really learned how to make grits, because I didn't really like them as a kid. My dad liked them, but my mom didn't, so we never had them unless we were at my grandmother's house. So I just never picked it up. And to this day, what should be the simplest part of shrimp and grits, the GRITS...I have to look up how to make them, and even then, it's a crapshoot.

I used Nebraska stone ground grits from the YDFM in 2015 (label always tells you how old your shit is--it'd be better not knowing sometimes). Recipe called for a cup of grits and 4.5 cups of water. I did two cups of chicken stock and 2 cups of milk, and had to add a little milk. Recipe said they'd be done in 40-50 minutes (that can't be right), and these were quite good in less than 10 minutes. I don't know. Grits are mysterious. I'm just going for "edible" on that part of the dish.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Take away the milk, add a cup of shredded white cheddar

Oct 9, 2018, 9:56 PM

A cup of butter and pepper. Then, you have grits

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Funny story, but I did add around half a stick of butter at

Oct 9, 2018, 10:08 PM

the beginning, and some slightly-better-than-Kraft parmesan cheese at the end. The grits turned out pretty good, actually, but that part is generally blind luck. The rest is unadulterated skill.

Usually cook mine for about an hour for shrimp ‘n’ grits.

Oct 9, 2018, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Here's a confession. ]

Lotta butter (1 stick), whole milk, heavy cream, maybe water. I can’t remeber if i use water. I make it only about once or twice a year. I have the recipe stored in about three different places to be safe. Yours look good. Is the bacon your only pork? I use andouille.

The recipe I've used for the past 5 years or so calls for

Oct 9, 2018, 10:12 PM

tasso ham, which isn't easy to find in SC. You can substitute pancetta, prociutto, bacon, or whatever, but you have to supplement the spices/flavor you're losing in the tasso. I used some Spanish serrano ham that Lidl carries. Works well in shrumps and gruts.

Edit: Andoulle would be really good, need to make it a point to try that next time.

Andouille is what I do-ee.***

Oct 10, 2018, 8:20 AM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd eat that....

Oct 10, 2018, 6:36 AM

I made a similar dish Sunday, grits with grilled chicken and roasted mushrooms (baby bella, oyster and shitake). Turned out great.

The receipe called for polenta, which is Yankee for grits.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

very nice...is that bacon?....

Oct 10, 2018, 8:04 AM

I'm a tasso ham purist myself for shrimp and grits

As for the grits, I go with chick stock and half&half. If yours cooked in 10 min, did the grits get "swole". Grits are funny...some good quality grits will cook a lot faster than directions and some won't. I normally use Lakeside White stoneground grits...they seem to be consistent in how they cook.

Now I'm hungry for shrimp and grits at 8am.

We need to have a shrimp and grits competition as an (unneeded) excuse to drink a lot and eat a lot.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

please to be invited to said competition

Oct 10, 2018, 8:45 AM

...and excuse to drink and eat a lot.

It's Serrano. I've made it with prosciutto before, too.

Oct 10, 2018, 10:52 AM [ in reply to very nice...is that bacon?.... ]

All are good, but tasso is the best, obviously.

sometimes make with tasso AND andooooee....

Oct 10, 2018, 12:16 PM

cause more pork is better in my book

Also, I've done it with reg ham before, but hard to get the exact spice mix to compensate.

Did you at least post the pic on social media?***

Oct 10, 2018, 8:14 AM

looking good

Oct 10, 2018, 8:42 AM

What are your thoughts on grace and grit?

You no sausage in yours?***

Oct 10, 2018, 8:46 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lemme drop a little restaurant knowledge on you.

Oct 10, 2018, 10:16 AM

I always thought Fleet Landing, tourist trap that it is, had much better S&G than Hominy. Their roux is off the chain.

Oddly, I don't think I've ever been to Fleet Landing.

Oct 10, 2018, 10:43 AM

So maybe I don't have the best shrimps and grits in Chas. 19She has taken her parents there, so the tourist trap story checks out. She's also taken them to Hyman's, another place I've never been.

Its pretty meh

Oct 10, 2018, 10:44 AM

I mean its not bad but its touristy.

Think the owners or whatever restaurant group that owns

Oct 10, 2018, 10:47 AM

Fleet bought Cypress, which I hate because that was a legit spot on E. Bay. I thought I heard they're putting in another Fleet Landing type place there. Lame.

I probably haven't been since 2012 or so.

Oct 10, 2018, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Oddly, I don't think I've ever been to Fleet Landing. ]

When it opened, it wasn't quite as touristy as it is now. The food was always pretty solid. And at the time, I was going to Peninsula Grill, Grill 225, SNOB, Magnolia's etc a good bit since I got the hookup for being a tour guide. Might not be as good as it used to be, but I always enjoy the shrimp and grits there above all the others I tried.

Looks good. I hate ordering shrimp and grits at a

Oct 10, 2018, 11:15 AM

resteraunt. Because I hate having a delicious looking plate in front of me, and then can't eat it because I have to spend my time taking the cotdam tails off the shrimp. Now I know, I know, leaving the tails on is supposed to enhance flavor and such. But #### that. If I want to pull tails off of shrimp, I'll just order a pound of steamed and go to town. But if they are in my grits, I want them ready-made to eat. I don't want extra work, or get grits all over my fingers pulling the tails off.

/rant. Eat up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 531
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic