Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lawrence #1....Fields #2
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,901

Lawrence #1....Fields #2

Dec 30, 2019, 12:09 PM

Trevor settled that debate on the field.

THE BEST QB in his class!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lawrence #1....Fields #2

Dec 30, 2019, 12:22 PM

Google TL’s & JF’s high school stats. There is no comparison. Anybody can say whatever ridiculous nonsense they’d like.....but that doesn’t make it true.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 12:25 PM

Fields committed to an SEC school. that’s all that #1 ranking meant.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Fields was playing 6A ball... TL was playing 4A...

Dec 12, 2021, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Lawrence #1....Fields #2 ]

different level of competition there, but I really don't care about their HS stats. I'm just glad that we have TL, and they are glad that they have JF. Two dynamic QBs, but this battle was won by TL.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

High schools stats? Really?

Dec 30, 2019, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Lawrence #1....Fields #2 ]

Is that seriously supposed to settle a debate?

In fairness, TL was at a 2A school, Fields was at 6A...there

Dec 30, 2019, 12:28 PM

is a big difference in level of comp. But, TL is the man, there is no question

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In fairness, TL was at a 2A school, Fields was at 6A...there

Dec 30, 2019, 12:46 PM

Carterville High School is a 4A high School not 2A

Re: In fairness, TL was at a 2A school, Fields was at 6A...there

Dec 30, 2019, 12:55 PM

Youre right, my bad, but Harrison might have also been 7A then too...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct, Cartersville is 4A and Harrison is 6A...

Dec 30, 2019, 1:13 PM [ in reply to In fairness, TL was at a 2A school, Fields was at 6A...there ]

6A football in Georgia looks like JUCO's playing each other, that's big boy football. HS stats don't matter now. TL took his team into battle and won this one. Excellent game all the way around.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 1:04 PM

Indeed. We already know the top two 2021 NFL draft order.

Let's walk this through a bit more in this head-2-head...

Dec 30, 2019, 1:06 PM

...matchup.

Fields (65% completion rate) threw the ball 13 more times (46 to 33 passes) and gained 61 more yards than TL16 (55% completion rate).

Fields completed 12 more of those attempts or 5 yards per additional completion. We saw at the end of the game that Fields was picking up those easy completions to Dobbins out of the backfield, but Fields still had some accurate throws over the middle.

We "supposedly" didn't see Fields at full strength running, and he did run the ball 14 times. TL ran the ball 16 times. So, it seems that Fields was not hampered by his knee. In fact, I wouldn't have been able to assert that he held back from his normal running pattern at all, but then again, I only watched the last OSU/Wisc game, so I don;t have a perspective on that Fields running was like during the rest of OSU's season.

So, comparing Clemson & OSU defenses, both similar in ranking, TL16 appears to have made a LOT better decisions with his running and Clemson's offense helped create those better running lanes.

The killer stat here is the stat that kept TL16 away from ANY Heisman talk...wait for it...INTERCEPTIONS.
Fields had TWO in the 2nd half of that game, AND these interceptions came at the MOST crucial part of the game.

TL16 made THREE crucial throws on that last drive, with multiple reads downfield on the Amari Rogers reception. All throws were perfectly executed. The pop-pass to ET9 was a lot harder pass to make than it would appear to be. The pass techniques is akward at best from the perfect passing form that TL16 has to do on every pass. His feet are in an unconventional position for a normal throw. TL16 hit that pass cleanly and ET9 did the rest. That play blows up if that safety drops down on ET9, but the safty didn't, and ET9 made them pay for it.

I can't say that about Fields crucial throws. The interception over the middle to end the game was awful. How much to put that on Olave is a matter of additional debate, but the throw should not have been made despite the fact that Turner was burned on the same play on the 4th down attempt that resulted in a touchdown.

The interception by Simmons on the out pattern throw was Fields not understanding the freakish talent that Simmons posseses. Let's hope that Burrow underestimates Simmons in a similar way. Nonetheless, that throw was also made by TL16 and intercepted in the early part of the season, and TL16 was punished for it visciously in the Heisman rankings.

Head-to-head, this was close between TL16 and Fields, but just trying to look unbiased from my Clemson perspective, I would say that TL16 was the better QB in this game and overall.

The QBR ranking also says the same...73 (TL16) to 54 (JF).

I'll take TL16 as my first pick in the draft, if I had to pick.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Re: Let's walk this through a bit more in this head-2-head...

Dec 30, 2019, 1:24 PM

29 is the only stat that matters.

Dec 30, 2019, 1:25 PM

Between the two Trevor Lawrence is better than Justin fields and it isn’t even close. Physically he is a complete and total freak. He is going to have a really fascinating pro career...

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,901
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic