Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Last Chance U
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,596

Last Chance U

Aug 6, 2016, 7:03 PM

I know a little late to it, but after watching the series I came away with 2 serious questions. How in the world did Wyatt Rodgers not get an offer from at least a group of 5 school? I get that he's not the biggest kid but he could play for sure. He was clearly better than Franklin III. Which leads me to my next question. Why is there so much hype around Franklin? He had ONE good game. I know we couldn't see every throw he made but they surely didn't show many good ones. Didn't Auburn learn their lesson before with judging players off of one game (Jeremy Johnson)?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Last Chance U

Aug 6, 2016, 7:26 PM

Really his only hype is that he's fast and a cannon of an arm (power not accuracy) . If he starts and our front seven contains him (which BV knows how to scheme against) the game will get ugly quickly.The one game he played well in was against a glorified HS team, while his team was stacked with at least FCS talent.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Aug 6, 2016, 7:46 PM

Contain, keep him in the pocket. Not very accurate. Overrated.

Aug 6, 2016, 7:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Last Chance U ]

JF3 will not start. Can almost promise you that. Malzahn will without question have a "package" for him and some trick plays featuring him - Gus almost has to, he's scraping the bottom of the barrel right now trying to field a competent starting 11 - and I think Malzahn is more than aware he's not just going to come out, minus his two starting OT's from last year, minus his top three RB's last year, and minus any semblance of a downfield passing game to keep Clemson honest, and just run the ball against Clemson's front seven. Keep in mind Malzahn's top returning RB, while a former 4-star, has just 52 career carries for 208 yards, and behind that he has two true freshmen.

Tossing JF3 in under those circumstances and asking him to schoolyard them to a victory is asking for a 70-point beatdown, and Franklin would be either in traction or a rubber room dosed to the gills on Thorazine after suffering a nervous breakdown if Auburn tried it. Malzahn (I'm fairly sure) is not an idiot; he won't start a kid who couldn't even start in JUCO. Keep in mind JF3 hadn't even figured out the mesh points in the read-option game (you know, the staple of everything Malzahn does on offense!) this past Spring. You don't go from there to getting thrown to the wolves against the #1 team in the country just one fall camp later.

So we'll get Franklin in small doses, almost certainly in pre-determined situations. 85% of the offense is still going to be carried by either Sean White or Jeremy Johnson, which will not be encouraging to any Auburn fans who watched either guy last year. White is limited athletically and in no way fits the read-option game, and Jeremy Johnson, while physically imposing, makes absolutely befuddling decisions with the ball and for all that he looks like Tarzan getting off the bus, really seems to hate running on account of, you know, a man could get hurt if he does that. Whatever, Malzahn looked like he wanted to sort of beat Johnson with something heavy until his arm was tired on more than a few occasions, last year.

Not really a good solution, and the lack of it is probably going to get Gus fired if he has another stinker of a year.

Franklin is just fast

Aug 6, 2016, 10:24 PM

It would've been great to have TJ Green and his 4.32 40 time playing QB spy in his home state.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,596
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic