Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Last 3 games of FB season, we yielded 29 points combined
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,420

Last 3 games of FB season, we yielded 29 points combined

Mar 1, 2019, 10:27 AM

We outscored that amount in each game individually.

Alabama's 'all-world' defense gave up 106 points over last 3 games.

#BestEver

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that better then the number 1 defense?

Mar 1, 2019, 10:33 AM

Michigan as ESPN said? 0.o

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is that better then the number 1 defense?

Mar 1, 2019, 10:43 AM

Michigan gave up 100 points in their last 3 football games of 2018 ...ESPN SUX

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Michigan's defense fell like a stone during that stretch too

Mar 1, 2019, 10:47 AM

Prior to those games they were #1 defensively in all of the advanced metrics that i looked at. Their defense fell all the way to 9th in the final S&P+ ratings, 7th in FPI, and 17th! in FEI.

There were warning signs throughout the season that

Mar 1, 2019, 10:44 AM

their 2018 defense wasn't "all-world" like some of their previous units. Some of the smarter football guys like Bill Connelly pointed this out during the season - that their defense was merely good and not great.

That said, they played 3 of the top 5 offenses in college football during that final 3 game stretch. Per S&P+ Oklahoma was #1, Georgia was #3, and Clemson was #5 offensively last year. And we were actually higher than that if you only include the games Trevor started. In comparison we played Bama (#2), Notre Dame (#33), and Pitt (#71).

Our defense was still better than Bama's last year, don't get me wrong, but the PPG allowed in the final 3 games isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison as Bama's 3 opponents averaged about 10 more adjusted points per game than ours. Of course 29 + 30 is still a lot better than 106 so there's that.

Re: There were warning signs throughout the season that

Mar 1, 2019, 10:50 AM

So it was coaching???

Re: There were warning signs throughout the season that

Mar 1, 2019, 11:10 AM [ in reply to There were warning signs throughout the season that ]

In the last 3 games we also played way more backups than Bama as well. So our backups were better than Bama's first string guys. Our Backups gave up zero points during those three games. Heck the defense only gave up 10 points after the first quarter in all three games combined and shut out all three opponents in the second half.

Message was edited by: bloodrunsorange63®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Last 3 games of FB season, we yielded 29 points combined

Mar 1, 2019, 11:27 AM

Good Stat, but you are looking at it all wrong. Don't look at it from the 'ALL-IN' Orange colored glasses look, but the 'eSECpn' look. You have to take it from the last 'FOUR' games to see my true meaning.
Take Alabama. They didn't have the greatest Quarterback in school history, Joe 'Willie' Namath at the helm that night.
And Notre Dame didn't have the 'GOAT'(Joe Montana) of all time leading them. I can only imagine what Brady would have done. But heck he played at some school in Michigan.
And Pittsburgh wasn't the same team without Dan Marino.
See where I am coming from with this?
We didn't have to face those 'All-Time Greats', but we did have to face the 'Greatest Quarterback' in Coot history, Jake Bentley,who single handily lead the coots from the jaws of defeat to the single greatest 'Moral Victory' ever in college football.
So, in reality, we actually gave up 64 points, which 'averages' out to be 16 points per game, which is what we held Bama to in 'The Natty'.
Now that is what you can call #'Best Ever'.

P.S. Notice my use of the ' ' symbols here.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,420
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic