Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Laffer curve.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 565

Laffer curve.

Jun 19, 2017, 10:15 PM

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2017/apr/19/economist-calls-tennessee-model-nationtenness/423552/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Laffer curve.

Jun 19, 2017, 10:47 PM

Kansas and other states have failed to grow when following Laffer principles.

http://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-tax/kansas-tax-cut-experience-refutes-economic-growth-predictions-of-trump-tax

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okay Libs...what am I not understanding.

Jun 19, 2017, 11:05 PM

The Laffer Curve has been mocked on here a couple times by some resident Lefties. Am I misunderstanding the concept? Doesn't it just say that taxes that are too high or too low get you the same result...that being less taxes (Uncle Sam either takes too small a slice or puts too great a burden on the private sector).

Is this up for argument?

You're not disproving the Laffer Curve every time someone reduces taxes and tax revenue decreases. There are a ton of factors that can go into that.

What don't I understand?

null

If you're going to tax like conservatives you have to

Jun 19, 2017, 11:22 PM

spend like conservatives.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^ this ^^***

Jun 20, 2017, 7:00 AM

I'm with you there 100%. It's pathetic how Pubs recently

Jun 20, 2017, 2:52 PM [ in reply to If you're going to tax like conservatives you have to ]

have spent like drunken sailors when in office.

But does the Laffer Curve address spending? I thought it was replayed to revenue the state gets at different tax levels.

null

Re: Okay Libs...what am I not understanding.

Jun 19, 2017, 11:22 PM [ in reply to Okay Libs...what am I not understanding. ]

I don't know much about Laffer himself, but I do know the basics of supply side economics, which contends if you cut taxes on people who provide venture capital and start businesses you can spur greater economic growth. In the end supply siders seem to argue that if you cut taxes on the wealthy good things happen.

There isn't evidence to support that, though. Mainly I think economics is just more complicated than that. There is no single, easy government formula that always works to create economic growth.

"High" taxes often exist in stares with strong economic growth. Conservatives often point to California as hell on earth when it comes to high taxes, but the fact is California is still a top state when it comes to economic growth.

Found this article:
https://www.brookings.edu/research/the-relationship-between-taxes-and-growth-at-the-state-level-new-evidence/

The reason it's not taken seriously

Jun 20, 2017, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Okay Libs...what am I not understanding. ]

is that there's no evidence we're on the wrong side of the curve. There is evidence that the maximum tax revenue rate is in the 65-70% range (like where it was for rich people before Reagan). I think the bigger problem with an article like that is that growth is a bit of an enigma. Because the US is a rich country, we don't have the same growth potential barring some technological development.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

An interesting short article...

Jun 20, 2017, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Okay Libs...what am I not understanding. ]

http://www.laffercenter.com/the-laffer-center-2/the-laffer-curve/

The Laffer Curve is one of the main theoretical constructs of supply-side economics, and is often used as a shorthand to sum up the entire pro-growth world view of supply-side economics. However, the Laffer Curve itself simply illustrates the tradeoff between tax rates and the total tax revenues actually collected by the government.

As drawn, the Laffer Curve shows that at a tax rate of 0%, the government would collect no tax revenue, just as it would collect no tax revenue at a tax rate of 100% because no one would be willing to work for an after-tax wage of zero. The reason for this is that tax rates have two effects on revenues: one is arithmetic, the other economic. The arithmetic effect is static, meaning that if rates are lowered, the tax revenues per dollar of tax base will be lowered by the amount of the decrease in the rate, and vice versa for increasing tax rates. In other words, this is what happens when a hypothetical 1% tax collects $1 million, so people assume that a 2% tax would collect $2 million… and a 5% tax would collect $5 million. Likewise, under the same scenario people would similarly assume that a .5% tax rate reduction would collect only $500,000.

The economic effect recognizes the positive impact that lower tax rates have on work, output, and employment, which provide incentives to increase these activities. By contrast, raising tax rates penalizes people for engaging in these activities. The Laffer Curve demonstrates what happens when the economic and arithmetic effects collide, explaining why a tax increase may reduce taxed activity and raise less revenue than otherwise predicted, just as a tax cut may increase taxed activity and raise more revenue than otherwise predicted.

Importantly, the Laffer Curve does not say whether a tax cut will raise or lower revenues, nor does it predict that any and all tax rate reductions would necessarily bring in more total revenues. Instead it says that tax rate reductions will always result in a smaller loss in revenues than one would have expected when relying only on the static estimates of the previous tax base. This also means that the higher the starting tax rate, the more dramatic the supply-side stimulus will be from cutting the tax rate. It is possible that this economic effect will swamp the arithmetic effect, causing an actual increase in tax revenue.

However, the Laffer Curve does not say that “all tax cuts pay for themselves” as many people claim. What is true is that tax rate cuts will always lead to more growth, employment, and income for citizens, which are desirable outcomes leading to greater prosperity and opportunity. There is, after all, more to fiscal policy than simply maximizing government revenue.

The Story Behind the Laffer Curve

The Laffer Curve earned its name from a 1978 article by the late Jude Wanniski (then-associate editor of the Wall Street Journal) appearing in The Public Interest entitled, “Taxes, Revenues, and the ‘Laffer Curve.’” Wanniski recounted a 1974 dinner he attended with Arthur Laffer (the professor at The University of Chicago), Donald Rumsfeld (chief of staff to President Gerald Ford), and #### Cheney (Rumsfeld’s deputy and a former classmate of Laffer’s). When the foursome’s dinner discussion turned to President Ford’s “WIN” (Whip Inflation Now) proposal for tax increases, Dr. Laffer is said to have grabbed his napkin to sketch the curve as an illustration of the tradeoff between tax rates and tax revenues. Wanniski dubbed the tradeoff described as the “Laffer Curve.”

As to Wanniski’s recollection of the story, Dr. Laffer has said that he cannot remember the details, but he does recall that the restaurant where they ate used cloth napkins and his mother had taught him not to desecrate nice things. He notes, however, that it could well be true because he used the so-called Laffer Curve all the time in classroom lectures and to anyone else who would listen.

Although the Laffer Curve bears his name, the ideas behind it were not new or his alone. In fact, Dr. Laffer likes to point out that the ideas are so straightforward that people knew about it hundreds of years before. For example, the Muslim philosopher, Ibn Khaldun, wrote in his 14th century work, The Muqaddimah: It should be known that at the beginning of the dynasty, taxation yields a large revenue from small assessments. At the end of the dynasty, taxation yields a small revenue from large assessments.

Yet the significance of the Laffer Curve ought not be minimized. While it is true that the concept preceded Dr. Laffer , that dinner in 1974, and Wanniski’s article some four years later, this view of tax rates and revenues was not widely accepted.

They did a half-### job in Kansas***

Jun 20, 2017, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Laffer curve. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They did a half-### job in Kansas***

Jun 20, 2017, 7:13 PM

There are factors more important than tax policy affecting economic growth. That's the lesson from Kansas.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/opinion/guest-columnists/dont-let-kansas-or-liberals-scare-you-away-from-tax-reform-20170620

Replies: 10
| visibility 565
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic