Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Run Defense .......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Run Defense .......

Aug 19, 2014, 11:42 AM

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140818/PC20/140819389/1032/clemson-run-stuffers-talk-tough-ready-for-georgias-gurley

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Run Defense .......

Aug 19, 2014, 11:44 AM

And I would expect no less from a defensive line that will boast 4-6 future NFL players, even without Crawford.

Gurley got most his yards on one play....

Aug 19, 2014, 11:47 AM

take that one play away, and we did a good job considering we were still in rebuild mode from the Kevin Steele era.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not really, Gurley ran basically at will on Clemson defense

Aug 19, 2014, 12:20 PM

Take away that one long TD run and I believe the average is still over 6 or 7 ypc. He had 12 for 155 and 2 TD's Take away the 75 yder and its still 11 for 80 and 1 TD. Still pretty good. Marshall was the one we stuffed all game.

32% and he's saying we

Aug 19, 2014, 12:21 PM

That's just adorable.

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Re: Not really, Gurley ran basically at will on Clemson defense

Aug 19, 2014, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Not really, Gurley ran basically at will on Clemson defense ]

wrong.....totally wrong....

he got most of his in 3-4 plays...a 75 yarder, a 22 yard, a 23 yard, and a 12 yard (total of 132 yards in those 4)...the remaining 8 carries totaled much less than 6 yrd/carry. Unless I am doing my math wrong, 154-132 is 22 yards...divided by 8 carries = 2.75 yards per carry.

LOL .....

Aug 19, 2014, 12:43 PM

I love the "if you take away so-and-so" line of reasoning. It's the epitome of cherry picking stats to fit whatever predetermined conclusion you want.

There are three kinds of lies: lies, ###### lies, and statistics.

Benjamin Disraeli

Your right

Aug 19, 2014, 12:52 PM

you can bend stats any way you want, just like the article is basically saying Clemson's run defense is garbage because a few RB's had a big day.

Gurley did in fact get half of his yards on one single play. Not that that should take anything away from him. But its not like every time he touched the ball he was going 40 yards

Re: Your right

Aug 19, 2014, 2:13 PM

> But its not like every time he
> touched the ball he was going 40 yards

Correct.

And, it's not like Gurley averaged 2 something yards everytime he touched the ball like the previous poster was trying to imply with his statistical manipulations.

We're on the same page.

See if you can cherry pick this reasoning.

Aug 19, 2014, 12:53 PM [ in reply to LOL ..... ]

We won the freaking game.

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Impressive retort .....

Aug 19, 2014, 2:16 PM

It only indirectly, at best, relates to my post, and doesn't really add anything to the conversation, alas it is still true.

Alas, it is still true.

Aug 19, 2014, 2:21 PM

I just wanted to throw some facts out that you wouldn't consider cherry picked, that's all.

hth

Re: Alas, it is still true.

Aug 19, 2014, 2:24 PM

Typically, one does change the subject when no other, more reasonable, context appropriate replies are available.

Is talking about Clemson winning the game not

Aug 19, 2014, 2:34 PM

context appropriate for a discussion about Georgia's success running the ball in said game?

Seems appropriate to me, but we can agree to disagree if you like.

SO..

Aug 19, 2014, 3:17 PM

My fuel pump went out on my truck today. So glad chevy has a great warranty and is fixing it for free.

Thats changing the subject there ole soco

Actually ....

Aug 19, 2014, 3:54 PM [ in reply to Is talking about Clemson winning the game not ]

My post was about statistics and the use thereof, therefore changing the subject to the winner of the game only very distantly relates to the point I was making.

Very distantly. Ok, I'll take it.

Aug 19, 2014, 4:03 PM

Haha, hope it's a good game.

Re: LOL .....

Aug 19, 2014, 2:16 PM [ in reply to LOL ..... ]

It's far from a "take away so and so" reasoning..it is the real facts...saying "he ran all over Clemson" is farther from teh truth, when in fact, he only had plays worth a first down or more for only 4 touches (25%), and looking beyond the big plays, which was 75% of his touches, he was only averaging 2.75 yards per carry. That's not running all over our D at will, sorry to take the UGA pumper side out of it. Did he eat Clemson when he got a big play...yes...did he get them often...no.

Re: LOL .....

Aug 19, 2014, 2:21 PM

I would argue that a RB who gains 10 yards or more on 1 out of every 4 carries, is having a really good day.

I don't have time to do so now, but I'd bet having 25% of one's rushing attempts go for more than 10 yards would put a RB at the top of the nation percentage wise in 10+ yard carries. Not a bad place to be if you ask me.

Exactly, Mr. 'Five Yards from the Natty'***

Aug 19, 2014, 3:51 PM [ in reply to LOL ..... ]

Aug 19, 2014, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Not really, Gurley ran basically at will on Clemson defense ]

> wrong.....totally wrong....
>
> he got most of his in 3-4 plays...a 75 yarder, a 22
> yard, a 23 yard, and a 12 yard (total of 132 yards in
> those 4)...the remaining 8 carries totaled much less
> than 6 yrd/carry. Unless I am doing my math wrong,
> 154-132 is 22 yards...divided by 8 carries = 2.75
> yards per carry.

Lol what? You want to take out 1/4ths of his touches?

Aug 19, 2014, 2:53 PM

Would you like to wager that any four of Gurley's carries will add up to 132 yards in the 2014 game?

Aug 19, 2014, 3:03 PM

Wait, I'm not sure I understand ... You want me to wager that he will have 4 carries for 132 yards? lol If he only nets 100 yards on his top 4 carries does that mean I lose? Because I sure as h ell won't be sad.

Aug 19, 2014, 3:22 PM

We aren't trying to discount anything he did. We are only trying to predict what he will do in 2014. Seems logical to discount the 75 yard career long run in UGA's first rush attempt of the season that was caused by a defensive gaff. Any RB should have taken that to the house so it is hard to attribute that specifically to Gurley. Also late in the game we were in a bend don't break defense. Up 10+ Gurley rushed for 23 and 5 yards. I would also probably discount those runs as well due to the circumstance late in the game.

Gurley also had two rushes erased due to blocking penalties committed by UGA that could have stood if Clemson declined to accept the penalty. To me those runs appeared to go for 1 and -2 yards respectively. I would include those in a statistical analysis of Gurley's success against Clemson. I'm sure most dawgs wouldn't. Agree to disagree.

11 rushes for 50 yards in the meat of the game. 4.54 yards per carry. Not bad but not running all over us. Hot Rod averaged 6 ypc in that game. Considering Gurley averages 16 carries per game he has played in that would put his estimated total around. 72 yards in the 2014 game. I'll assume they lean on him more with the new QB and that he breaks a longer run or two. He will hit 100 but just barely and the dawgs will still lose.

Aug 19, 2014, 5:11 PM

a defensive gaff.......Gurley outran your entire defense. Hicks takes out two defenders....where exactly is this"gaff?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DhkdDl41WU

Aug 19, 2014, 5:58 PM

Shuey ran right into that block and out of his gap. Gurley outran our slowest DB who had to come from the far hash mark. There are dozens of RBs in the NCAA that could have done that.

Aug 19, 2014, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Not really, Gurley ran basically at will on Clemson defense ]

No ones taking out anything. It's simply showing that the big plays (which were only 4 plays) were a large chunk of the yardage. You can't act like he was getting those the entire game and Clemson wasn't finding ways to stop him too. He got the equivalent to one a quarter. You act like we're supposed to say 4 plays means we didn't stop him at all, and he ran "at will" as some are saying....3 of 4 stopped to make an average of 2.75 yards is not "at will" (and I'm not even counting the 2 plays that were negated which he went 1 yard and -2 yards...I'm only counting the 12 recorded down).

Aug 19, 2014, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Not really, Gurley ran basically at will on Clemson defense ]

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15654924#15654924

Clemson

Aug 19, 2014, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Not really, Gurley ran basically at will on Clemson defense ]

You are a #### fan.

null

Aug 19, 2014, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Not really, Gurley ran basically at will on Clemson defense ]

> Take away that one long TD run and I believe the
> average is still over 6 or 7 ypc. He had 12 for 155
> and 2 TD's Take away the 75 yder and its still 11
> for 80 and 1 TD. Still pretty good. Marshall was
> the one we stuffed all game.

And Gurley got dinged up, missed a chunk of that game. But yeah, he ran for 155 on a dozen carries.

Aug 19, 2014, 9:13 PM [ in reply to Not really, Gurley ran basically at will on Clemson defense ]

Marshall did run over one of our guys to score one T/D

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gurley got most his yards on one play....

Aug 19, 2014, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Gurley got most his yards on one play.... ]

He also played with a hamstring injury and only had 12 snaps in the game. Give him a little credit, however I do believe you have a very stout defense and look forward to the match up this year in Athens! good luck and may the best team win

Aug 19, 2014, 2:18 PM

If you want to count that, then what happened to the other side of the tandem (Marshall)? Thought they went into the season (and still today) talk like they are a 2 man wrecking ball....the name Gurshall didn't come from nowhere. Interesting to look at it counting an "injury" (which didn't seem to stop two plays over 22 yards), but not counting the other half of the tandem also got stopped a lot.

Aug 19, 2014, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Gurley got most his yards on one play.... ]

He did not only play 12 snaps in the game. He rushed the ball 14 times and was targeted at least twice in the passing game.

Aug 19, 2014, 10:28 PM

12 154 12.8 75 2

Official ESPN stat sheet. 12 is the number of carries he was given, I was incorrect saying snaps. Also, in response to the other guy that posted... Marshall is not on the same level as Gurley, but he is a decent back. Trust me, I am not downplaying Clemson's defense, just saying Gurley deserves a little more respect. I think you have an outstanding team and look forward to meeting again next week in Athens.

Aug 19, 2014, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Gurley got most his yards on one play.... ]

yes... about 75 yds on that one play..he did show more speed than I thought he had but?????

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The headline is very misleading....

Aug 19, 2014, 11:47 AM

Sounds to me like the Clemson defenders have nothing but praise and respect for Gurley.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

If we hold Gurley to under 100, it will be unbelievable....

Aug 19, 2014, 11:50 AM

He reminds me of Adrian Peterson...

We don't need to hold him to under 100 to win by any means, but if we did, I think we win by 2 scores.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Absolutely. If we hold him under 100, Clemson wins pretty

Aug 19, 2014, 12:21 PM

easily.

Re: Absolutely. If we hold him under 100, Clemson wins pretty

Aug 19, 2014, 2:10 PM

i agree with this... we Georgia fans need gurley to run for over 100... No doubt in my mind. Good luck! hoping all our athletes stay healthy and classy in this early season match up

To where?

Aug 19, 2014, 12:13 PM

he he

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well yea, cause Georgia's soft

Aug 19, 2014, 12:14 PM

and we skrong

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Don't need to read, already know Georgia's girly***

Aug 19, 2014, 12:15 PM

Looking at stats and not watching games leads to stupid

Aug 19, 2014, 12:20 PM

statements like this:

Well, it happened four times last fall, when Syracuse tailback Jerome Smith (18 carries for 125 yards and one touchdown), Georgia Tech A-back Robert Godhigh (12-126, 2 TD) and Ohio State tailback Carlos Hyde (25-113, TD) each ran over the Clemson defense. South Carolina quarterback Connor Shaw also scrambled for 94 critical yards.

Syracuse did nothing to Clemson.
GT did a little, when they hit a few option plays.
Ohio St rb had a few runs, but got stuffed a lot more.
And qb draw plays is hardly "running over" a defense.

All of this was mostly safeties being out of position, a constant theme in last years defense.

UGa;s OL couldn't move our DL, and aren't likely to this yr, either. Gurley will find it tough running when we bring down a safety b/c the deep passing threat isn't there.

ALthough Gurley is the best RB in the country, imo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even if UGA fans want to say Gurley ran all over us

Aug 19, 2014, 12:24 PM

last season, I don't see how that helps their case at all. That was with one of the SEC's all-time leading passers under center.

And they still lost.

Now they got Heather Mason.

Good luck with that.

Re: Even if UGA fans want to say Gurley ran all over us

Aug 19, 2014, 3:20 PM

> last season, I don't see how that helps their case at
> all. That was with one of the SEC's all-time leading
> passers under center.
>
> And they still lost.
>
> Now they got Heather Mason.
>
> Good luck with that.

To be fair, the game was at DV. This year it is in Athens.

True, but I'm not sure how that prepares Hutson

Aug 19, 2014, 5:14 PM

to stand and deliver against our front 7.

Just sayin'.

Well he rushed for 157 yards last year and you still lost!!!

Aug 19, 2014, 12:35 PM

I say if he rushes for that again you lose again. With your statue at QB we will get 5 to 7 sacks, and from what I've read on here he's the only QB in America that enjoys being sacked bye Micheal Sams....... ;}

Stoudt is faster than Tajh was

Aug 19, 2014, 1:46 PM

Not exactly a "statue".

I fully expect the Clemson Defensive Line vs. UGa RB's to

Aug 19, 2014, 1:42 PM

be worth the price of admission.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2014, 1:54 PM

Are we sure this isn't an article from the state newspaper?

Aug 19, 2014, 4:05 PM

I hate the P&C and am disappointed in myself for actually reading that article. Not only is the headline misleading, but the writer totally put a negative spin on our defense. And I didn't see a lot of "tough" talk from the players who were interviewed.

smh

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2014, 4:16 PM

Okay - enough of the BS about how great the Gurley machine is and how porous our D is and how we can't tackle or contain anyone. SO here is the TRUTH - if you can handle the truth.

CLEMSON is going to dominate this game DEFENSIVELY and OFFENSIVELY, and probably ST's too (but I won't argue that). Our D is going to be tougher at almost EVERY position, and UGA does NOT have Murray to bail them out on those 3rd-and-long situations. Gurley's strength will be negated when they have to resort to the PASS when they can't move the ball on the 1st and 2nd down. PICK-6 Heaven. UGA fans will cry in their beer.

THE TRUTH IS REVEALED. :)

Articles and Sapakov's (Overrated D) ought to be pinned on

Aug 19, 2014, 5:26 PM

the bulletin board - as motivation! GO TIGERS ALL IN! personally I think this year we stuff the runners and make the Qb look like OSU's! Tigers 34 Dawgs 10

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic