Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC academics? Who cares?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

ACC academics? Who cares?

May 22, 2012, 4:30 PM

Can someone please tell me why being associated with an athletic conference with high academic standard schools matters? The athletes are not rhodes scholars, they have gimme majors and tutors so they can have a passing gpa. Does being in a more competive less regarded academic conference make my Clemson degree less valuable? Seriously academics are so loosely tied to athletics these days, no one is going to tell me my Engineering Degree from Clemson is worthless due to the fact that Clemson left the acc for the less intelligent Big 12.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC academics? Who cares?

May 22, 2012, 4:32 PM

No idea, but it is one of the dumbest arguments made by the anti athletics crowd.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Totally agree - makes no d@MN sense...

May 22, 2012, 4:35 PM

The only argument I can see against the big 12 is if sec comes calling or if swofford somehow pulls in ND and another football school and get rid of equity sharing of football revenue.

May 22, 2012, 4:44 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC academics? Who cares? ]

The "anti-athletics" crowd stereotype cracks me up. I'm a student who cares about academics but I also go into month long depression spells due to athletic results.

I get upset for a day or so if we lose a big game and my

May 22, 2012, 4:49 PM

degrees from Clemson mean very little for my professional career. Your degree and GPA get you your first job. After the first day on the job, where you went to school doesn't matter much any more. It is now all up to you.

Of course, you are just a kid so I understand.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can be a great academic school

May 22, 2012, 4:51 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC academics? Who cares? ]

in a conference focused more on sports.

Look at Vandy, Stanford, UC Berkley (Cal), half of the B1G, etc.

Its a perception thing ....

May 22, 2012, 4:36 PM

Jeeez ... looking at the team photos of some of the Big Time Football schools, looks like many of them are on some sort of work-release program. At least the ACC seems to care .... ACC is 'kinda classy compared to others.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Its a perception thing ....

May 22, 2012, 4:39 PM

Come on its a farce look at UNC's latest academic debacle with their athletes. Im sure similar things happen everywhere in the ACC. Its a sad day when college football is no more about student athlets and is essentially a minor league NFL where the athletes get hosed.

"Kinda Classy" = Losses and Less Money ***

May 22, 2012, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Its a perception thing .... ]

NM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ivy League teams

May 22, 2012, 4:44 PM [ in reply to Its a perception thing .... ]

look way classier than us. Maybe we should try to join them

May 22, 2012, 4:42 PM

Myron Rolle, former CB at FSU, was in fact a Rhodes Scholar.

Facts hurt.

LOL - there is always an exception or two...***

May 22, 2012, 4:44 PM

And FSU

May 22, 2012, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC academics? Who cares? ]

is supposedly one of the worst academic schools in the ACC

And that makes our athletes seem so much smarter. And me.

May 22, 2012, 4:53 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC academics? Who cares? ]

Its a really big deal to my future employer that a team we play in football has a rhodes scholar on it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2012, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC academics? Who cares? ]

rule =/= exception

null

You realize that conference schools partner academically

May 22, 2012, 4:46 PM

and help each other with research and getting multi-school grants?

I'm glad my Clemson Electrical Engineering degree came from an ACC school, where one of my professors was working on a joint grant with Georgia Tech.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Yes I realize I have an BS and MS in EE from Clemson.

May 22, 2012, 4:49 PM

Do you seriously thing the grants and partnerships would stop?

I'm sure Texas would be able to provide decent grants, but

May 22, 2012, 4:50 PM

the locale is not ideal and will not be beneficial to either school regarding travel.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: I'm sure Texas would be able to provide decent grants, but

May 22, 2012, 5:29 PM

So just cause athletically were not linked with gt...all of a sudden the grant stuff would stop...ridiculous

Bingo. That's why it matters.*

May 22, 2012, 4:56 PM [ in reply to You realize that conference schools partner academically ]

So come to the Big 12 with us to raise the academic

May 22, 2012, 4:58 PM

reputation of the Big 12 and partner some grants

Well, we might have no choice but to do that...

May 22, 2012, 5:04 PM

This is one Tech fan that doesn't want to leave the ACC. But if FSU & Clemson leave, then I'd prefer we go with you guys or the SEC/big10...basically, anywhere but a watered-down ACC/BE.

Personally, I don't think the situation with Clemson/FSU is nearly as far along with York is making it out to be. But that's just my opinion. I think there's some informal exploration that's going on, and some interest. But that's about it at this point.

But I hope Tech is reviewing its own situation and making contingency plans in case the nuclear option is exercised.

Clemson and FSU are #11 and 12 in the Big 12....

May 22, 2012, 5:07 PM

and for your sake I hope Tech has warmed more to talks than a week ago.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: Well, we might have no choice but to do that...

May 22, 2012, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Well, we might have no choice but to do that... ]

I'd be calling Big 12 offices now and I hear y'all are in touch.

You never know...

May 22, 2012, 5:17 PM

If I had to handicap our situation during the post-nuclear age:

1) SEC - Not happening. We don't add TV markets.

2) B1G - Less than 50/50 chance of that. If it came about, we'd jump on it in a second. The B1G is a conference that no one ever leaves.

3) Big 12 - Less desirable than the B1G to most Tech fans. But we might have a better shot of getting in here. And for me personally, if we can maintain our relationship with Clemson football and FSU, then I'd be very happy.

As a side-note: Tech/Clemson is my favorite rivalry. It's very even. The games are often very close. Lots of weird endings. Homefield doesn't mean all that much on either side. The fans usually get along reasonably well. So, if we can keep you guys in the ACC, that would be best. But if we can't, maybe we'll see you on the other side.

Re: You never know...

May 22, 2012, 5:24 PM

I think the B1G would definitely look at GT but I think the Big 12 wants you. I think Unuc uva Md or dook or some combo of those end up in the B1G. JMO

Re: You never know...

May 22, 2012, 5:36 PM [ in reply to You never know... ]

I hope yallcome with us because Id hate to lose that game

Therein lies the real heart of the issue....

May 22, 2012, 6:39 PM [ in reply to Well, we might have no choice but to do that... ]

No one really wants to leave the ACC, but under the circumstances, I'm not sure we have any other choice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I have said it before and I will say it again.....

May 22, 2012, 4:54 PM

the athletic conference in which a school competes should have no bearing on a schools academic mission.

If Harvard left the Ivy League (which is nothing more than athletic conference whose members are also very prestigeous academic institutions) and started playing in the Big East, Harvard would still be very highly regarded academically and their academic reputation would not be diminished in nay way, shape, or form.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duke manages to do fine with Clemson, FSU, and State

May 22, 2012, 5:01 PM

in their conference.

As does Vandy....

May 22, 2012, 6:08 PM

with Ole Miss, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Alabam, Auburn, LSU, Arkansas, and South Carolina in their conference.

A famous Bear Bryant quote sums it up best.....

May 22, 2012, 4:58 PM

A chemistry experiment doesn't draw 80,000 people.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: A famous Bear Bryant quote sums it up best.....

May 22, 2012, 5:15 PM

This might be why the great Frank Howard referred to the SEC as the Dumb Dumb Conference. He knew they could recruit players based on athletics and not academics.

Vandy does well in the SEC. Any more questions?***

May 22, 2012, 5:37 PM

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic