Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lungineers, please help!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 433

Lungineers, please help!

Nov 28, 2018, 12:08 PM

Mcjr is getting this swing or similar from his grandparents:

https://www.amazon.com/b4Adventure-B4A-108S-Dreamcatcher-Swing-Royal/dp/B01FBA7RVS

I just helped FIL install one at his house. We bolted a 14 ft 4X6 into two oaks to hold the swing. It works, but 200 lbs is a decent load on it.

Anyways, I pretty much only have pines. What if I installed 5/16 galvanized aircraft cable (zip line cable) between two pines? Worried it might sag or slip but seems like a good idea in my head.

Is there a better or cheaper solution to hanging that swing without a nice oak branch?

thx

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I beam***

Nov 28, 2018, 12:10 PM

Skyhooks

Nov 28, 2018, 12:11 PM

actually, you'd only need one, so that's good

BRB, going to find one***

Nov 28, 2018, 12:19 PM

What kind of hippie dream catcher swing is that?***

Nov 28, 2018, 12:12 PM

Bend over and I'll show ya***

Nov 28, 2018, 12:20 PM

OK, now what?***

Nov 28, 2018, 12:22 PM

Just stay there***

Nov 28, 2018, 12:23 PM

My daughter has one of those. They're great.

Nov 28, 2018, 12:16 PM

Then week two comes and they never use it again.

I think you're going the correct route with this elaborate rigging system you're devising.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cheapest & easiest on the tree(s) is a Tetherball setup

Nov 28, 2018, 12:17 PM

just gotta invest in a decent helmet or two, too...possibly with facemasks

what happened to an old tire and piece of rope?***

Nov 28, 2018, 12:20 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kayden has sensitive skin and a rubber allergy

Nov 28, 2018, 12:23 PM

Please try to be more Woke and empathetic towards others.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LMAO. one of my friends from Clemson said today that she is

Nov 28, 2018, 12:28 PM

repulsed by gender reveal parties because they "conflate anatomy with gender" and "force binary boxes" which are harmful to a child.

These people vote.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm repulsed by gender reveal parties too, but

Nov 28, 2018, 12:30 PM

only because they weren't a thing for gen X and earlier, and I never thought it possible that those expecting could find a way to monopolize and monetize even more attention than they were already getting by having a kid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed***

Nov 28, 2018, 12:32 PM

### is a gender reveal party anyway?

Nov 28, 2018, 12:35 PM [ in reply to I'm repulsed by gender reveal parties too, but ]

I mean, just strip naked and I'm 100% sure I can figure it out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^your cisgendered white male privilege is showing^^^^^***

Nov 28, 2018, 12:39 PM

### is a gender?

Nov 28, 2018, 12:40 PM [ in reply to ### is a gender reveal party anyway? ]

The presence or absence of a Y chromosome

Nov 28, 2018, 12:50 PM

Which results in the presence of a ##### or ######.

Which results in one gender making sperm and one making eggs. Which results in one gender giving birth to another human with or without a Y chromosome. Which results in a set of unique internal organs.

That results in having testosterone or estrogen hormones present, and a deep voice, breasts after puberty, and a host of other natural ####. Side note - the absence of a Y chromosome makes it extremely difficult to be an effective defensive lineman in football. The presence of a Y chromosome makes it impossible to breast feed an infant.

I mean, seriously, how do these people believe this stuff, then pass BIOL 1010?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whale you see when a man loves a woman

Nov 28, 2018, 12:43 PM [ in reply to ### is a gender reveal party anyway? ]

he makes ##### to her. If she really loves him, she lets him make ##### to her without a rubber. Sometimes a woman is in heat and when the man ejaculates into her while making #####, this causes a baby reaction in her lower intestines. It grows and grows for 9 weeks before being born. But at about the 1.5 week mark the medicine man can rub KY jellies on her stomack and get a magic picture of the unborn baby body to see if it has a case of the peanuses or not. Some people want to know right away whether their baby to be will have a case of the peanuses, or if it's gonna be a non-boy. Others want to wait and gather round all their jealous hoefriends who aren't knocked up and are babyhongry to reveal to them just how much peanus their baby will have. They reveal this based on their social class. Rednecks shoot shotguns that have peanus colored smoke that comes out. Obeds make up a mystery batch of KoolAid and the color it turns after 15 seconds reveals wether it' s a boy or non-boy. So on and so forth.

And that's how it works.

I've got one of those frands. Pretty sure I keep her franded

Nov 28, 2018, 12:40 PM [ in reply to LMAO. one of my friends from Clemson said today that she is ]

just to pi$$ myself off sometimes

They might not vote, but I don’t want them to drive or...

Nov 28, 2018, 4:34 PM [ in reply to LMAO. one of my friends from Clemson said today that she is ]

reproduce.

^^^gets it***

Nov 28, 2018, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Kayden has sensitive skin and a rubber allergy ]

I ain't buying it

Nov 28, 2018, 12:26 PM [ in reply to what happened to an old tire and piece of rope?*** ]

but dang, I prolly will have $50 in hanging it

That thing looks weird and I wouldn't have it.

Nov 28, 2018, 12:25 PM

I also don't reckon I'd be bolting into trees too much.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lungineers, please help!

Nov 28, 2018, 12:35 PM

rigging cable would be good, you just gotta make sure you get enough tension on the line so it doesn't sag and make sure the ends are clamped down good

What if he doesn't like McJr? How loose should the

Nov 28, 2018, 12:37 PM

clamps be then?

Tighter than Ms Lovin's neeple clamps

Nov 28, 2018, 12:43 PM

but not too tight where the nips start bleeding

pines move a good bit - doesn't seem like a great idea

Nov 28, 2018, 12:42 PM

so, take vid please!

how far apart are your trees?

Nov 28, 2018, 12:47 PM

McLovin

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

I don't know yet.....I'm going to put it here though

Nov 28, 2018, 12:50 PM
trees.png(119.9 K)

Will prob buy 100 ft and expect to use 50-60

Nevermind. You're on your own: use this calculator

Nov 28, 2018, 12:53 PM [ in reply to how far apart are your trees? ]

https://www.ropelab.com.au/two-point-anchor-calculator/

This is all considering a static load, but if you're swinging, and REALLY swinging, then the dynamic load will be significant. I don't feel like doing the math, but just play it super conservative.

Play around with the allowable sag, and load numbers and keep an eye on the tension number. You'll notice how that tension climbs SIGNIFICANTLY as you decrease the allowable sag (it's all about the angles, bruther). I would go big on the cable. Definitely bigger than 5/16".

I also have some thoughts on anchoring the cable:

If you use eyebolts, be sure to check their rating. Bent eye bolts won't nearly be as strong as forged ones. Also, keep an eye on the thread size. It'll take a decent diameter to have enough "bite" in the tree to keep it from pulling out.

If you use cable clamps to secure the cable, NEVER SADDLE A DEAD HORSE!

Something not right here

Nov 28, 2018, 12:59 PM

Currently have a 90 ft zip line....pt to pt is prolly 80 ft.

I put my 205 lbs on the line and it sags 2 ftish?

According to this that would put a tension of 1877? What are the UOMs here? 1877 lbs? Cuz that def ain't right.

Re: Something not right here

Nov 28, 2018, 1:10 PM

The units should be whatever you entered. If you put pounds, then pounds would be the units of tension.

I didn't double check the math, but I would expect that 2000 pounds-ish would be pretty close.

Thought I used a 500 lb tensile strength ratchet strap to

Nov 28, 2018, 1:14 PM

tighten up the zip line.

I see now "units are not required" so if I used lbs for my weight, the tension should also be lbs.

Just doesn't seem right that I put 2000 lbs tension on it during install, maybe sag is actually 3 ft and I got 1400, idk?

1500 tension, 500 load still tho***

Nov 28, 2018, 1:18 PM

he’s posting a bunch of academic nonsense

Nov 28, 2018, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Something not right here ]

The real world way is to just eyeball it, get everything anchored in a way that your gut says is right, and tug on it a few good times to make sure she holds. Most men will instinctively know that all is secure and ready to go.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HEAR HEAR. I love these fancy boys and their book learnin.

Nov 28, 2018, 1:16 PM

You get the best rope you have lying around, give it a couple double knots, and send the kids out for fun.

Do you think they had all this math crap when they built the Hoover ###? If they didn't need it, I don't either.

Oh, and McLovin, just to give you a quick real answer.

Nov 28, 2018, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Something not right here ]

Just my quick thoughts after giving it a once-over.

The deviation anchor force calculator assumes a stationary load and 100% efficiency, breaking with the assumption of a 0.2 friction coefficient from the Redirection Forces article.

To reproduce the equations used in the deviation anchor force calculator, we set exp(-mu*theta) equal to 1 for 100% efficiency. Theta is the deviation angle, and mu is the friction coefficient. The friction coefficient is therefore zero. The resultant subtends an angle of alpha = atan[(exp(mu*theta) – cos(theta)) / sin(theta)] measured counterclockwise from the horizontal.

Using theta = 75 degrees as an example, we get alpha = 37.5 degrees. Then the magnitude of the resultant is r = [(exp(-mu*theta)*sin(theta)) / cos(alpha)] = 122 % of the load, as reflected by the calculator. The force on the anchor = exp(-mu*theta) = 100% of the load.

If we instead assume a high efficiency pulley (95%), then mu = ln(1/0.95) / pi = 0.016.
alpha = atan[(exp(mu*theta) – cos(theta)) / sin(theta)] = 38.3 degrees.
r = [(exp(-mu*theta)*sin(theta)) / cos(alpha)] = 121% of load
force on anchor = exp(-mu*theta) = 98% of the load

Suppose an 85% efficient pulley. Then mu = 0.052, alpha = 40 degrees, r = 118% of the load and force on anchor = 93% of the load.

If the rope runs through an aluminum biner for 50% efficiency, then mu = 0.221, which is reasonably close to the 0.2 assumed in the Redirection Forces article.
alpha = 48.1 degrees,
r = 108% of the load,
force on the anchor = 75% of the load.

So the calculator is conservative in that it predicts higher forces than we would expect to see in actuality. The force on the anchor is not shown as an output because it is always equal to 100% of the load if we have 100% efficiency, being that mu = 0 and exp(0) = 1. For more information, see Paul Stovall’s article, Calculating Deviation Forces with Friction

Absolutely correct Obed.

Nov 28, 2018, 1:20 PM

I guess one of the most common roped applications of this is in rope access and the rope does not move through the deviation – other than with stretch.
I am happy for the results to be conservative and that those who understand what is truly going on with the physics can do more if they choose.

-Mclovin

Paging Paul Stovall

Nov 28, 2018, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Oh, and McLovin, just to give you a quick real answer. ]

paulSTOVALL7393

SRS, can you assplain the clip stuffs and why?

Nov 28, 2018, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Nevermind. You're on your own: use this calculator ]

I'm genuinely interdasted, and would rather go thru ryanadidas.com than google.com

Best answer: It just be like that.

Nov 28, 2018, 1:20 PM

Alternative answer: That's the way I was taught.

Alternative answer: The saddle side has more surface area than the U-bolt side, so it is less likely to crimp or weaken the cable. Also, it probably has something to do with the "live" aka "load" side of the cable being more important, but my brain is fried from all of this academic talk.

Replies: 42
| visibility 433
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic