Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Levon Kirkland says loss to USC was painful to watch
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Levon Kirkland says loss to USC was painful to watch

Nov 29, 2011, 12:45 AM

Levon Kirkland says loss to USC was painful to watch

The former Clemson linebacker said that watching the Gamecocks run the ball on his former team was hard to take. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We need to bring these former players into talk to the...

Nov 29, 2011, 12:51 AM

current players about what it means to play hard nosed Clemson Football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they do that fairly often.***

Nov 29, 2011, 1:08 AM

We don't do it enough on a consistent basis, we need to do..

Nov 29, 2011, 1:17 AM

what Miami and the USC Trojans do. There needs to be much more contact and communication between former players and current players, to show the importance of wearing a helmet with a Tiger Paw on it.

I've been screaming that for years and years

Nov 29, 2011, 9:48 AM

what Levon talked about here is exactly what we've been seeing for years on the defensive side of the ball...can you imagine what Keith Adams, Leroy Hill, Gaines (RIP), Ricky Sapp, Jarvis Jenkins, Kavell Conner, Nick Eason, Charles Bennett, DaQuan, etc. could have been like had they played in a defensive scheme that was sound but included a MINDSET of "if you cross the 50 yard line" you are going to get @#$%$#@ punished?? anyone who thinks that our talent on D back in the '80s and early '90's was far ahead of now is crazy....we've got better athletes now than we've ever had. What our D lacks is a pack of wild dogs mentality and that's EXACTLY what Levon is talking about. These former players (Dawk would be great along with Jeff Bryant, Levon, Ed McDaniel, Terry Kinard and any LB from the late '80's)need to be around these guys, not so much at practice but at least more in touch with the program. I am stationed in California and had the opportunity to go to a USC Trojan practice earlier this year with a Marine officer in my command who is a Trojan grad. At that practice was Keyshawn Johnson, Curtis Conway, Sam Cunningham, Ronnie Lott and Rob Johnson. After the practice was over (it was before the season started) each player spoke to them about wearing the Trojan on the helmet and what it meant to them to wear that uniform and how every one of them wished they could go back and walk the field again as a Trojan. They also spoke about how nobody should care about the sanctions that were coming because they ARE Trojans and play in the "here and now" because you only get to wear that uniform for 4 years. I don't like SC, never will root for them but the pride former players have in that uniform was so obvious that it gave me chills. Curtis Conway got choked up talking about it to the players. you can say what you want about the U, SC, ND and all of the others but their alumni are around the programs there and they love their school. Our former players do too but there is not enough involvement in my opinion. Some may flame me for this but @#$%$# we've got some beasts who've worn the Paw in the past and reading Levon's words made me want to yell because everyone knows what he's saying is true. My wife went to HS with Dawk and he told me in an email when i was in Iraq several years ago that he wears a Paw t-shirt under his pads in the NFL because he's a "Tiger for life". That folks is what's missing in our psyche these days, i don't care what anyone says. That mentality is what will make a defense destroy a ball carrier, not some Star Wars scheme.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Star wars scheme LOL******

Nov 29, 2011, 9:45 PM

Re:Forget that, Bring them back to coach

Nov 29, 2011, 3:27 AM [ in reply to We need to bring these former players into talk to the... ]

Yeah I am sure it helps bringing the players back to talk to the team. Can only help. But heck, I wish we would bring a few of them back as coaches.

Re:Forget that, throw a jersey on em.***

Nov 29, 2011, 9:13 AM

What we need is for a senior defensive player to call a

Nov 29, 2011, 8:37 AM [ in reply to We need to bring these former players into talk to the... ]

closed-door meeting and to chew the fat off the backside of some freshmen and sophomores. The problem is that we just don't have that this year. What is the difference between this year and last? We had upperclassmen last year.

Re: What we need is for a senior defensive player to call a

Nov 29, 2011, 9:18 AM

but it doesn't work.

I remember team leaders holding "closed door player meetings" after any type of meltdown since the West era.

Amen! We need someone to step up and show some leadership

Nov 29, 2011, 10:35 AM [ in reply to What we need is for a senior defensive player to call a ]

This team cannot just get by on talent alone.

Who's job to recruit & instill such toughness & attitude?***

Nov 29, 2011, 2:09 AM

Re: Who's job to recruit & instill such toughness & attitude?***

Nov 29, 2011, 2:17 AM

Has anyone put any thought into hiring Kirkland as a coach. I like what he stands for.

Levon should have already been a coach on our staff.........

Nov 29, 2011, 7:40 AM

Promise you he would not put up with LB play like we have right now.

Re: Levon should have already been a coach on our staff.........

Nov 29, 2011, 9:15 AM

yep, I totally agree.

Looked like he wasn't part of

Nov 29, 2011, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Levon should have already been a coach on our staff......... ]

good ole boy network. That starts at the top. I'm tired of Clemson turning their heads on our legends (Ford). pathetic

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Believe he would if he had started his coaching caree.......

Nov 29, 2011, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Levon should have already been a coach on our staff......... ]

career earlier. He was employed by Clemson in a different capacity. He is now building a coaching resume --hopefully not too late to help the Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who's job to recruit & instill such toughness & attitude?***

Nov 29, 2011, 10:05 PM [ in reply to Who's job to recruit & instill such toughness & attitude?*** ]

Well Mickey said both Dabo and Tajh (and Kyle Parker) great leaders....so I assume it is their jobs?

Can't argue with #44. Would love to see him as our LB coach.***

Nov 29, 2011, 7:39 AM

Re: Front Page Story: Levon Kirkland says loss to USC was painful to watch

Nov 29, 2011, 7:57 AM

He pretty much questions the heart of the players and the quality of the coaching.

I believe that our 5-Star linebackers

Nov 29, 2011, 8:20 AM

would love to have Levon as their coach. Nothing like an NFL star as your coach.

What is painful is reading that the sc game is "just another

Nov 29, 2011, 8:47 AM

game".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is painful is reading that the sc game is "just another

Nov 29, 2011, 9:01 AM

Your team is made up mostly of freshmen. They won eight straight before dropping their first game, These freshmen still beat Auburn, FSU, and VT and won their division. These freshmen still have a shot at the Orange Bowl. Yet some of the alumni and fan base goes into meltdown mode over their losses this year. This is a team that was down 14 to Auburn, 18 to Maryland, and 14 to Wake Forest. Have you looked at the final records of those teams? Has it ever occurred to anyone that maybe next year will be THE great year for this team? Your coach can recruit 5 star guys from multiple states. You don't go from high school to college without some growing pains. Clemson's best years are ahead of them so take a deep breath and relax. As for all the flamers and haters, jab/flame/hate away as I will not respond in kind.

Those comments came from upper-classmen.***

Nov 29, 2011, 9:03 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is painful is reading that the sc game is "just another

Nov 29, 2011, 9:20 PM [ in reply to What is painful is reading that the sc game is "just another ]

it is MUCH MORE than just another game!!!!! it is THE GAME!!!and everyone with the Clemson program needs to understand that right now!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What we need is for a senior defensive player to call a

Nov 29, 2011, 8:49 AM

I don't know what team you were watching last season but this team was dreadful last season. There was NO leadership last year, Spillers class created a vacuum effect that left this team with no one to guide this team.

glad to know Levon felt the same way I did while watching.***

Nov 29, 2011, 9:05 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LK knows football.. and he definetly knew how to tackle!!***

Nov 29, 2011, 9:19 AM

Nov 29, 2011, 9:29 AM

An all-time GREAT Tiger. He needs to be involved with the program.
But sadly Dat Boy and Steele didn't want him.

Very telling that he would give puplic comments and glad he

Nov 29, 2011, 9:44 AM

is.

Re: Very telling that he would give puplic comments and glad he

Nov 29, 2011, 9:52 AM

LK should have been working on the staff a long time ago.

Re: Very telling that he would give puplic comments and glad he

Nov 29, 2011, 10:36 AM

Was he offered/did he offer to coach?

Very telling that TNet posts anything critical. Axings soon?

Nov 29, 2011, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Very telling that he would give puplic comments and glad he ]

T-Net usually ONLY posts very pro-administration, pro-coach, sunshiny articles, many of which come directly from the AD's PR department. This is only about the third T-Net article that I ever recall reading that expressed any negativity. The other two (one of which casted doubts about about Andre Powell and one about Tommy Bowden) came right before a coach was fired.

I'd say that either TigerNet has gone off the rails and has decided to give up their press-access to the players, coaches, and AD staff, or this story was sanctioned by the AD and portends a coaching change.

Re: Very telling that TNet posts anything critical. Axings soon?

Nov 29, 2011, 1:08 PM

Razz, you are right-on with this assessment. This is the 1st article I can remember on T-Net that allowed an ex player to give his opinion on the program. With all the great pros that came from this program, I know most if not all would welcome to opportunity to come back to mentor the young guys. This is bold from T-Net, and it goes against the "pumper" articles. Even David Hood has been very critical of the play displayed this season. Enough is enough!

Re: Very telling that TNet posts anything critical. Axings soon?

Nov 29, 2011, 10:03 PM

More than telling. I got banned from posting on Mickeys Blog for saying the fake punt in the Wofford game was not a good idea.
I hope so. 4.5 years too late. Winning SC game in first first year was worst thing that could have happened. We could have had experienced coach from getgo instead of excuse maker.

It has been smoke and mirrors since September. Next year is the tougher road schedule and we all know how Clemson typically plays on the road. I guess next year I can hear about the next great recruiting class and to be patient for Dabo.

Can we please just get someone in here to add a bit of discipline to team.

Btw did Tajh boyd tweet after the game that the 4 defensive lineman got better of him for 60 minutes like he taunted them before the game? Ridiculous.

Yeah, Levon, no kidding.***

Nov 29, 2011, 11:01 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Steele out as LB coach - Levon ALL IN!!!!!!!!!!!***

Nov 29, 2011, 12:48 PM

I agree Levon, but tell Swinney & Steele, not Tigernet.***

Nov 29, 2011, 1:16 PM

Re: Maybe he did, but did Dabo even listen?

Nov 29, 2011, 2:03 PM

He did not even listen to Ford, so he went "on the record" before Levon did.

Re: Re: Who's job to recruit & instill such toughness & attitude?***

Nov 29, 2011, 2:13 PM

It appears like he is advertising himself as a dc.

Nov 29, 2011, 2:45 PM

He needs a Job NOW COACH LBS.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic