Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
LET'S TALK FOOTBALL The Punt Return...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

LET'S TALK FOOTBALL The Punt Return...

Aug 12, 2015, 10:49 AM

I’m not sure why we have failed so miserably at the punt return game for the last several years, especially with the talent and speed we have. I really think the issue is that we have not analyzed what happens on the field well enough nor made the necessary changes to be successful.

OK, I’m going to play coach here.

Most teams, while kicking the ball, have 5 men on the line blocking, 2 men on the line to bull rush downfield, 3 blockers in the backfield, and the punter. Essentially, you have 5 players "late" on getting down field and 4 that are "very late" getting down the field.

Currently, we have 10 men within 5 yards of the line when our opponents kick the ball and a single returner all by himself. On kicking downs, especially those with long yardage (i.e. 4th and 7 or longer), we should try a different approach.

Three men on the line and two covering the bull rushers going down field. Three linebackers 5 yards off the line. Another blocker 15 yards off the line offset to one side of the field outside the left hashmark. The last blocker 25 yards off the line offset to the other side of the field outside the hash mark. The kicking team has to have 9 players involved in the kick, at least for about 3 seconds. Once the ball is kicked, players will start picking up the “first man” to their area and block that player. This “should” give the returner an unimpeded chance to catch the ball and make a good runback.

Whatever we do, DO SOMETHING!!! What we have is not working. We should have 2 or three returns every year for a touchdown with the talent we have.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the conscious decision was made to be

Aug 12, 2015, 10:53 AM

conservative the last couple years for different reasons. A couple years ago it was because our offense was so explosive. Last year it was because we had the #1 defense. Protect the ball on special teams to avoid a costly turnover, and give your offense a chance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Agree with better punt returns; now, how bout UGa's blocking against us for TD!

Aug 12, 2015, 1:27 PM

GeeZ..that was beautiful return (even if a near illegal wedge formation, and we were the Goats)!

GoTiGERS

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree with better punt returns; now, how bout UGa's blocking against us for TD!***

Aug 12, 2015, 1:51 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: I think the conscious decision was made to be

Aug 12, 2015, 2:20 PM [ in reply to I think the conscious decision was made to be ]

"Protect the ball on special teams to avoid a costly turnover"

so many options......

so little time.

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

I don't buy this logic though. Just because you are good at

Aug 12, 2015, 2:36 PM [ in reply to I think the conscious decision was made to be ]

one aspect of the game doesn't mean it is correct to neglect another aspect. I don't think that having a better return game means more risks either.

neglect? how is maximizing ball security neglectful?

Aug 12, 2015, 2:48 PM

it's the most important aspect of football, no?

something to kick around, no mo, no less

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i herd

Aug 12, 2015, 3:04 PM

turnovers on special teams can be costly. im just saying.

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

As costly as a hang nail for a defensive end.***

Aug 12, 2015, 3:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: As costly as a hang nail for a defensive end.***

Aug 12, 2015, 3:11 PM

are you referring to the DE that went 3-0 against the tigers and had 8 sacks and still holds the all time sack record in DV?

drummer boy. i thought we had made such progress and now this.

dont try so hard, just be patient, let the game come to you.

CC, I've been beating on dumb drummer for a while now &

Aug 12, 2015, 4:36 PM

he doesn't learn. Now as far as clownboy, he benifited from terrible scheming by our coaching staff. No way he should have been blocked head up and not double teamed... He's certainly not as good as we made him look. I hope you enjoyed those years cause the coots are headed to the toilet son. It's gettin ugly very soon

Ain't that cute.

Aug 12, 2015, 8:46 PM

Now y'all kiss.

There's something in these hills.

philly brown, osu punt returner says, "werd"...

Aug 12, 2015, 3:13 PM [ in reply to i herd ]

coot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and then, ole philly brown took his game to the pros...

Aug 12, 2015, 3:15 PM

ball on the ground, philly brown

i was happy about this.

Aug 12, 2015, 3:20 PM [ in reply to philly brown, osu punt returner says, "werd"... ]

cause suckeyes.

You are making the assumption that maximizing ball

Aug 13, 2015, 11:16 PM [ in reply to neglect? how is maximizing ball security neglectful? ]

security and actually trying to do something positive on kick returns are mutually exclusive. We've had our share of muffed punts and fumbled returns playing "safe."

no, not remotely, but i am saying one is safer than the other &

Aug 14, 2015, 12:55 AM

having the ball is better than not having the ball especially when you've got an offense that can take it to the house from anywhere or a lock down defense that you don't want to put in a bad situation.

if you believe the risk[putting the ball on the ground] to return is worth the few yards gained in field position that's fine, but anytime the ball is put into play it's security is put at risk and that's a no brainer.

you can fair catch without being molested, tackled or stripped. is it perfect and without flaw? h3ll no and no one suggested it was or that a muff could not happen. the only way to ensure 100% against a muff or fumble on punt return would be to not field the punt at all which is discussed in the link.

Not calling for a fair catch is a good strategty.

Aug 12, 2015, 3:16 PM

Next, I'd expect someone to actually catch the ball. The third important step would be their first step after catching the ball, I strongly encourage that step to be toward the long end of the field.

Another step, hopefully with the foot opposite the first step, would be in my plan. Then it's simple, repeat steps three and four with precision and quickness in somewhat a similar direction until the echo of the whistle ends.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okay, yeah, 3 a year? That is a lot.

Aug 12, 2015, 3:19 PM

What makes you think we have guys who have talent when it comes to fielding punts? I'd say we don't since Humphries has the job last year after totally blue the Scar game the year before. None of the rest of the skill set matters a bit if you don't have a guy back there to catch the thing. You for spoiled in the Ford and Spiller days.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Okay, yeah, 3 a year? That is a lot.

Aug 12, 2015, 5:53 PM

What I'm trying to say is what we do DOES NOT WORK. Most punts last about 4 seconds, and every time we catch the ball, there are 3 to 4 players within 5 to 10 yards of the punt returner.

A punt return needs to be handled like any other play, not "If you can catch the ball, see if you can run it for positive yards". Be creative, design and practice plays where you have different blocking and return schemes. If we have plays like that, I haven't been able to figure them out.

Watch our blockers covering the first 2 to 4 players coming down the field on a punt. The majority of the time, we are running a half-step or more behind them, hence, all we do is "FAIR CATCH" or catch it and immediately get tackled.

Another Tigernetter mentioned earlier we were good on offense two years ago because we were aggressive, and good on defense last year because we were aggressive. What's the common factor there to being good? You can't always be aggressive, but if you create schemes and practice them until you have the confidence, then you can be aggressive and improve the punt return game. If not, then either fair catch the ball or get out the way and let it hit the ground.

Yea, that's a good offensive strategy.

I think Dabo has made it clear to us that he is not

Aug 14, 2015, 1:43 AM

Putting much of an emphasis on KR or PR. Dabo is definitely more conservative in that role and would rather give our offense a chance rather than putting the defense back on the field. Also, putting AH at PR is definite sign of being conservative. I can't argue with Dabo's philosophy but part of me wishes that we did try to return kicks. I miss seeing us return kicks for TDs. Even before CJ and Ford we were pretty good at returning kicks (Stuckey, Miller). I would really love to see Mcloud back there returning kicks this year, seems that we would be crazy not to give him a shot but regardless, i hope we can get back to at least returning the punt even if its just for a few yds. Every inch matters in football and you never know, we could return a few this year if we really try.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic