Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kyle Parker talks with the media for first time since signing with Rockies
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,599

Aug 19, 2010, 8:26 PM

Clemson quarterback Kyle Parker met with the media Thursday after practice, and he discussed the process of signing with the Rockies and his future plans. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two words??? Tigernet will be busy with that.

Aug 19, 2010, 8:38 PM

You have a 14-page contract, and there are two words that could really affect my future. I wanted everything to be right.

"not play"

Aug 19, 2010, 8:57 PM

football.

Let's see...
forfeiture and football
released and [another] sport
etc. etc. etc.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Two words??? Tigernet will be busy with that.

Aug 19, 2010, 11:07 PM [ in reply to Two words??? Tigernet will be busy with that. ]

Two words: "motor" and "cycle."

I noticed that too

Aug 20, 2010, 12:30 AM [ in reply to Two words??? Tigernet will be busy with that. ]

My vote is for "Beat SC" in some sort bonus.

"college football" or "football" and "injury"***

Aug 20, 2010, 1:02 AM

Man, I wish I had to make choices like this

Aug 20, 2010, 2:30 AM

Kyle Parker is living the good life. Just remember kids, if you want to be rich and successful, then get born into a family with good genes!

No doubt the kid has God-given talent. But...

Aug 20, 2010, 1:52 PM

Of course, there are plenty of kids out there who are just as talented as Kyle Parker who were lazier or made bad decisions to commit crimes or simply take the easy way out and spend their time partying, doing drugs, and fooling around, rather than working hard on the books and training to do everything possible to maximize their opportunities. The sports headlines are full of those kids. Think Masoli, Cumbie, et al. I realize that your post was meant to be a funny and not taken seriously, so I don't mean this to sound like I'm coming down heavy in disagreement with a good, little joke. I just thought I'd point out the obvious for all those out there who think that the government should have a right to take a larger percentage of Parker's "undeserved" income and redistribute it to all the talented kids who made bad decisions.

NEVER underestimate good genetics and surnames ....

Aug 20, 2010, 8:22 PM

when it comes to being rich or successful or the natural talent some athletes have.

the lucky sperm club is the road to riches.

What the He77 are you talking about:

"I just thought I'd point out the obvious for all those out there who think that the government should have a right to take a larger percentage of Parker's "undeserved" income and redistribute it to all the talented kids who made bad decisions."

what does that have to do with the post?

and don't get me wrong - there is no excuse for not working hard and being successful - I feel like I can do anything if I work hard enough -- but I simply can't be as a good as someone like Parker in football or baseball - it simply isn't genetically possible.

And I sure wish my family had $millions of dollars - I was born a white country preacher's son. But I am not complaining - because I have worked hard and done ok.

ok - that concludes our Friday afternoon ramble.....

null

Re: Man, I wish I had to make choices like this

Aug 20, 2010, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Man, I wish I had to make choices like this ]

you and i both

How much does KP give up if he plays football in 2011, 2012?

Aug 20, 2010, 3:10 PM

It's too bad the reporter didn't ask the BIG questions, even though KP may be bound to confidentiality regarding the negotiations.

1) Did the Rockies really offer $2.25M in July (as was reported by the press)?

2) If so would that contract have prohibited football in 2010?

3) How much money does KP have to give back if he plays football in 2011, and how much if he plays in 2012? News sources close to the Rockies are reporting that KP would have to give up almost half of the $1.4M if he plays football in 2011.

Apparently the Parkers made a risk-reward calculation to leave open the option for an NFL career, and the subjective decision probably depended on things like how much KP loves playing football, versus baseball, versus money, versus whatever else. But if KP was really offered $2.25M in July, and if he will lose almost half of the $1.4M if he plays football in 2011, then from a strict financial standpoint, it would appear that Parker’s parents blew the negotation and should have taken the $2.25M, because the probability of KP getting drafted by the NFL (as a "short" QB) after this season is awfully low (and not so great in future years either).
According to NFL draft analysts, the 2011 NFL-draft class for QBs is reportedly deep, with guys like Locker, Ponder, Mallet, Luck, Brantley, Pryor, Johnson, Stanzi, Dalton, Keenum, et al. But even if it weren’t deep, as a relatively short QB, (6’ or maybe 6'1", depending on which athletic department stat you look at), Parker would be highly unlikely to get drafted by the NFL as a redshirt sophomore. And his chances aren't very good as a junior or senior either.

Over the last 4 years and 50 QBs drafted, only 2 QBs under 6’2" were drafted to play QB. (Though 2 more were drafted to play WR.) Both of those QBs were stellar SENIORS who played on prominent, national championship teams: 6'1" Colt McCoy the all-time-winningest college QB (3rd round), and 6’ Heisman winner, Troy Smith (5th round). So based on the historical draft data, it seems that the chances are awfully small that a "short" QB like Parker would get drafted as a sophomore (or even as a junior or senior) from a team like Clemson which isn't typically in national-title contention with a bevy of proven, NFL-caliber receivers.

Right or wrong the NFL values height in their QBs, despite an occassional success story, like 6’ Drew Brees. So the NFL drafts guys like 6’3" Keith Null of West Texas A&M (who? where?), over shorter stars like 6’ 1" senior Chase Daniel, who went undrafted and landed on an NFL practice squad for $91k/yr, despite his brilliant college career at Missouri.

I sincerely hope that I’m wrong and that Parker wins a Heisman, leads Clemson to a national championship, gets drafted highly by the NFL, and makes gobs of money doing whatever he loves best. I was wrong about Parker returning to play football, so apparently I don't know dip. I'm just wondering what really happened in the negotiation and what the Parkers were thinking.

I know what the 2 words are

Aug 20, 2010, 8:29 PM

My brother-n-law's step son went to camp with someone who's sister is dating a guy who knows the assistant to one of the people who gets to visit practice and he said the words were: Keyser Söze.

null

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,599
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic