Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Know Thine Enemy: UGA Starting Fullback Retires
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 3,192

Know Thine Enemy: UGA Starting Fullback Retires

Aug 13, 2014, 2:08 PM

Just wanted to pass along the news to the Orange Clad Faithful. Looks like Merrit Hall, UGA's walk-on starting fullback is taking off his helmet for the last time. He's leaving the team due to lingering concussion concerns. I can only imagine how hard of a decision that is for the young man, and I wish him all the best in the future.

As for a replacement, there really isn't one to note. Last year UGA ran around 25% of their plays with a two back set, so either there will be more single back 3 wide, or a true FR LB that was moved to FB a couple of days ago will see some time. Another possibility is giving some FB reps to third string RB Brendan Douglas. Either way, this will certainly hamstring UGA's offensive play-calling.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hate it for Hall.. Like it for Bobo.***

Aug 13, 2014, 2:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Know Thine Enemy: UGA Starting Fullback Retires

Aug 13, 2014, 2:15 PM

Hate to hear that and wish him the best. I'm sure your coaching staff will have a plan in place to mitigate the loss of this player.

Aug 13, 2014, 2:16 PM

The H-back gives you a lot of options. You can line him up as a TE, motion him easily to use as a lead blocker or flex receiver. It kind of replaces the FB. The true FB will still have a role though, especially in short yardage situation.

I like that they're training both Hicks and Blazevich for it. They're different types of players, so the defense not only has to account for the new look of UGA using an H-back, but also which player it is in that specific play and what his tendencies are. That's a lot to deal with pre-snap from just one position.

Merrit Hall was a "#### Good Dawg" wish him the best.

Aug 13, 2014, 4:02 PM

That's right and Cu didn't see that look from Bobo last year. Should be good for a score or two. They had no answer for Hicks anyway. We're fine

The run defense improved greatly by the end of year

Aug 13, 2014, 4:11 PM

QB zone read was just about the only thing getting consistent yards against us on the ground.

I hope the UGA coaching staff comes in thinking they're going to get a "score or two" using an H-Back.

Aug 13, 2014, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Know Thine Enemy: UGA Starting Fullback Retires ]

Wasn't winning the game our answer for Hicks ? Is it difficult for your family and friends to follow your backwards thoughts also or is it just me ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

If we had no answer, how did we win?

Aug 13, 2014, 5:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Know Thine Enemy: UGA Starting Fullback Retires ]

I think BJ Goodson had a pretty good answer:

https://vine.co/v/hJu5nAUTLx0

Clemson

Re: If we had no answer, how did we win?

Aug 13, 2014, 6:22 PM

How could we ever forget that you Tigers won that game? You literally remind us every post. I can't say I blame you though those wins are so few and far between.

You really had no answer for Hicks and his performance proves it.

3 rushes for 38 yards and 1 td
1 reception for 38 yards.

Yes, you may have won the game but it wasn't because Hicks under preformed at the fullback position. The kid took names.

How many wins did you have last year? 8 < 11

Aug 13, 2014, 6:32 PM

Lol, Hick's longest run was for 37 yards where he busted loose from your own goalline. He ran hard, but ran outta gas. That plus his goal-line TD, means he was great for a single play rushing. Don't remember his single catch, but good for him.

Sounds like he did slightly better than Zac Brooks: 3/20 and 1/31 with a TD.

I didn't say Hicks under performed. You were the one saying "You had no answer for him". On a single play, probably his first touch, no, we didn't, other than our DBs speed to go get him. But claiming he was unstoppable is ridiculous, since he gained a whopping 0 yards on one of his other carries

Clemson

And you're on a Clemson message board, a team your team

Aug 13, 2014, 6:35 PM

lost to last year. Are you're sore over when we remind you of that?

Please continue to bring up how we haven't won in Athens in almost 30 years without acknowledging the fact we have only played there 3 times in that span since.

Clemson

Re: If we had no answer, how did we win?

Aug 13, 2014, 6:41 PM [ in reply to If we had no answer, how did we win? ]

Nice. Super dawg also seems to forget we stonewalled him when it mattered inside the 5 yard line for less than 1 yard. Believe it set up that botched FG attempt.

POINT.***

Aug 13, 2014, 6:43 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

63-17

Aug 13, 2014, 2:16 PM

If Brendan Douglas is 3rd string - then UGA be skrong at RB. He is darn good and could probably start for us.

Of course, I think he's better than Marshall - but that's JMO.

Oh, dey skrong at RB for sure.

Aug 13, 2014, 3:05 PM

Hate to hear anyone dealing with concussion issues like Hall is. Wish him the best.

On Douglas

Aug 13, 2014, 4:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Know Thine Enemy: UGA Starting Fullback Retires ]

I, for one, am very glad he switched his commitment to UGA from GT late in the 2013 recruiting cycle. He got some unexpected PT as a true FR due to injury, and really held his own out there. Even had a couple of highlight reel runs.

But the best part is that he won't be a B-Back for GT's offense. I can't even imagine how good he would have been for them in that spot. UGA and the ACC dodged a bullet in this case IMO.

Re: On Douglas

Aug 13, 2014, 5:51 PM

Douglas would have been a beast at GT. Glad we got him though.

Good decisions are hard for UGA players even without the concussions !

Aug 13, 2014, 3:13 PM

Book 'em Dano !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sad news for the player. hope for full recovery.

Aug 13, 2014, 3:28 PM

Also, tell Saban and Brett B that the HUNH is not the only system that causes injuries.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well wishes. Thanks for posting.***

Aug 13, 2014, 6:32 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

63-17

Replies: 19
| visibility 3,192
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic