Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What's the best concert you've been to in the last 5 years?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 79
| visibility 1

What's the best concert you've been to in the last 5 years?

Oct 3, 2019, 8:13 AM

Mine would probably be Chris Stapleton at Daniel Island. Smaller venue and dude is legit. Probably better live than on his albums.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jason Aldean at Colonial Life Arena!!!

Oct 3, 2019, 8:25 AM

place WAS LIT when he sang Hicktown!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In all seriousness, Isbell at Peace Center

Oct 3, 2019, 8:33 AM

was probably my favorite.

Isbell is good stuff

Oct 3, 2019, 8:37 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saw him Fri night for first time

Oct 3, 2019, 8:41 AM

was really really good....I'm a casual listener, but the live performance made me wanna revisit a lot of his stuff

Kid Rock in Charlotte

Oct 3, 2019, 8:28 AM

It's also the only concert I've been to in the last 5 years.

Sunday Panic at Trondossa

Oct 3, 2019, 8:30 AM

Marcus King playing Dear Mr Fantasy

Greenr family plan is to do Trondossa 2020. Not sure why

Oct 3, 2019, 8:31 AM

we didn't do it this year. Rumor has it Billy Strings might be there.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Adidas family already has it penciled in as well.

Oct 3, 2019, 8:38 AM

It's a blast.

Maybe this year Willmo will come down off of his Ivory Tower and rejoin us.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Re: Adidas family already has it penciled in as well.

Oct 3, 2019, 8:39 AM

Cid14's office is about 2 miles from there

My sourcey source said it may not happen

Oct 3, 2019, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Greenr family plan is to do Trondossa 2020. Not sure why ]

Or it may move if it does happen again

Move out of Charleston? I was worried that it may be a

Oct 3, 2019, 9:03 AM

short lived event.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Move out of Charleston? I was worried that it may be a

Oct 3, 2019, 1:42 PM

Move to Cid14's house. It's only a block or two away

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

David Byrne in Charlotte or Panic at Red Rocks***

Oct 3, 2019, 8:30 AM

Still haven’t seen Byrne

Oct 3, 2019, 9:04 AM

Part of me is afraid that it’ll be a “never meet your heroes” type thing for me.

Like I’d go to the show, and he’d decide to bust out some Sting-seque adult alternative set and I’d be soured on the Talking Heads forever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was about 40% Talking Heads, 50% solo, mostly new album,

Oct 3, 2019, 9:12 AM

and 10% covers/collaboration stuff. I had high expectations and it exceeded those.

Setlist

Here

Lazy

I Zimbra
(Talking Heads song)

Slippery People
(Talking Heads song)

I Should Watch TV
(David Byrne & St. Vincent cover)

Dog's Mind

Everybody's Coming to My House

This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)
(Talking Heads song)

Once in a Lifetime
(Talking Heads song)

Doing the Right Thing

Toe Jam
(Brighton Port Authority cover)

Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)
(Talking Heads song)

I Dance Like This

Bullet

Every Day Is a Miracle

Like Humans Do

Blind
(Talking Heads song)

Burning Down the House
(Talking Heads song)

Encore:
Dancing Together

The Great Curve
(Talking Heads song)

Encore 2:
Hell You Talmbout
(Janelle Monáe cover) (with Steve Scales)

That is solid. Reminds me of not going to

Oct 3, 2019, 9:15 AM

Cake/Weezer because I thought it would be new crap only and then 19B® goes and it’s the best greatest hits show ever for both bands.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It did be like that.***

Oct 3, 2019, 9:23 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Except Pixies, not Cake.***

Oct 6, 2024, 7:01 PM [ in reply to That is solid. Reminds me of not going to ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's right, thx.

Oct 3, 2019, 9:51 AM

I was wondering why I'd skip a Cake show....glad to know I didn't.

Re: What's the best concert you've been to in the last 5 years?

Cant think of a concert i've been to in the past 5 years? Maybe Kenny Chesney at Willy Brice?

I lied. I forgot I sat Buffett a few years ago in

North Charleston (and didn't get shot). Although I had always wanted to see Buffett, the KR concert was still better.

Actually, I saw him. I didn't sit on him.

Oct 3, 2019, 8:38 AM

I blame tigermanic's iPhone for all my typos.

You can top both them

Oct 3, 2019, 8:40 AM

ZZ Top plays in charleston next week

Godsmack and Shinedown

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Men at 25 play football. Men at 40 play tennis. Men at 60 play golf. Have you noticed as men get older their balls get smaller.

I've been to a LOT.

It is hard to pick between the time Sturgill opened for Willie then Willie couldn't go so we got a make up date.

Or John Prine at the Ryman with where Sturgill Simpson and Todd Snider showed up.

Or Blackberry Smoke at the Shed this past May.

Or, I saw Staple ton twice in the past 5 years. Once at the Charleston Music Hall and once at the tennis stadium.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

EVERY show at The Shed is fantastic.

Oct 3, 2019, 10:24 AM

That's simply a magic venue. But yeah...that BBS show was phenomenal.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aussie Pink Floyd in Dallas***

Oct 3, 2019, 8:41 AM

Would have to be

Oct 3, 2019, 8:43 AM

The Annual Lesbians Around the Campfire Labor Day Cookout and Sing Along at Camp Croft

This year is the first time in about 6 that we missed it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

U2 Joshua tree 25th at soldier field.

Oct 3, 2019, 8:44 AM

Took my son to his first “real” concert and We were so close to the stage that Bono could have peed on us.

Close second is PJ in Greenville. Set list (vs played start to finish first time evur), band and crowd energy off the chart.....just one of those nights.

Re: U2 Joshua tree 25th at soldier field.

Oct 3, 2019, 8:46 AM

Paul Johnson?***

Oct 3, 2019, 8:46 AM [ in reply to U2 Joshua tree 25th at soldier field. ]

I was so confused 20 some years ago

Oct 3, 2019, 8:47 AM [ in reply to U2 Joshua tree 25th at soldier field. ]

when Pearl Jam was the first concert at the Bi-Lo Center. I was convinced they were going to be playing on a flat bed trailer in front of a grocery store.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Janet Jackson was the first concert at the Bilo Center

Oct 3, 2019, 8:51 AM

Then PJ.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Miss Jackson if you’re nasty.***

Oct 3, 2019, 8:52 AM

I'm sorry,

Oct 3, 2019, 8:53 AM

Miss Jackson.

Are you for real?***

Oct 3, 2019, 9:07 AM

93.3 wasn't talking about her though.***

Oct 3, 2019, 9:00 AM [ in reply to Janet Jackson was the first concert at the Bilo Center ]

Was at that one, too.***

Oct 3, 2019, 9:06 AM [ in reply to I was so confused 20 some years ago ]

That PJ concert was great

Oct 3, 2019, 8:55 AM [ in reply to U2 Joshua tree 25th at soldier field. ]

post-concert and the next day was.....not.

Did you wake up in jail?***

Oct 3, 2019, 9:00 AM

I actually hurled that night when we got home.

Oct 3, 2019, 9:05 AM [ in reply to That PJ concert was great ]

That might be the last time I've thrown up from drinking. It was a pretty even flow though, not too chunky, mostly $11 beer.

Even flow huh? Nice one.

Oct 3, 2019, 9:09 AM

I walked to chicora alley (because owned by high school buddy and only REAL 07 and 05-ers party there and at 2am Uber was still 9x surge so got a ride home with hammered high school classmate I hadn’t seen since 1995.

I tried...(and I think the following day was my last, too)

Oct 3, 2019, 9:42 AM [ in reply to I actually hurled that night when we got home. ]

If you recall, SheGUAR and frands we went with (that were staying at our house) decided to go home afterward the show, instead of previous plan of going out downtown.

I wasn't having any of that,so met up w/ other frand, and would uber home later

Started out @ home w/ liquor....then shots & beer @ dinner....THEN ###### Coors Lite Tallboys (maybe about 8 of'em?) at the concert....then back to RESPECKtable beers at wherever we met up without Obed...

Uber was still in "post-concert-let's-fack'em-over" surge pricing mode, and they wanted $125 to drive me 15 miles....F to the NOPE....so I was ghana crash on his couch instead and uber home in the morning. We decided to go to Waffle House around 2:30am, and that's when it hit...I could hardly even look at the food without starting to feel sick...didn't eat anything, however, by the time we got back to frand's house, the Uber pricing had dropped to $21, so I decided to go home then.

First half of the drive was fine...talking to the driver dude, whatever...next thing I know, we're parked in front of my house and dude's all lik "yeah...soo, you just kinda stopped talking/responding about 10 minutes ago, so I just let you be....but, it's time to get out"

which i did.

I knew I was gonna barf at some point, so I figure 'let's get it over with'...we had a powder room right off the foyer, so i go in there, assume the position, and am 100% ready to go...

...when frand/houseguest who'd passed out on the couch in the next room barges in (because I'd woken him up) and interrupts what was the initial heave of my purging.

It was like when someone messes up a sneeze...it was completely gone. I sat there (after he apologized, and shut the door) for another 15 minutes trying to knock this out before I went to bed....but nada. vanished. (by this point, it was close to 5am)

So I went to bed, and the next morning was horrible, starting around 7...i don't event think i left my bedroom when frands left to say bye...puking til 3pm or so. Bad news all-around. But I'm pretty sure that's the last time I've had alcohol-induced puking

/csb
/tsb

That whole following day would have been different

Oct 3, 2019, 10:02 AM

if you had been allowed to purge the poison. I hope you've been a passive-aggressive dickhead to that frand ever since, until he finally asks you what your deal is, and then you tell him.

He'll understand. Seriously. I would.

Prince

Oct 3, 2019, 8:46 AM

but it may have been 6 or 7 yrs ago...

Revivalists at the Orpheum Theater in New Orleans

Oct 3, 2019, 8:47 AM

was a really good concert. This was the weekend of the Bama Sugar Bowl. Went because wifeof wanted to go, but man, they were good.

LOVE those guys.

Oct 3, 2019, 9:04 AM

Never seen them live, but Men Amongst Mountains is probably top 10 for me in number of listens over the past 3 or 4 years.

Do festivals count?

Oct 3, 2019, 8:52 AM

If so, The Pilgrimage Festival in Franklin TN, think it was 2016...

Saw (in reverse order):

Beck (great)
Cake (GREAT)
Grace Potter (really gud, and legs)
Violent Femmes (was honestly never a big fan, but understand I'm cooler for having seen them)
The Struts (good and very entertaining)
Kaleo (surprisingly good, based on the 1-2 radio singles I'd heard)
The Strumbellas (not bad, but not my jam)

Your post was going well until

Oct 3, 2019, 8:54 AM

You threw shade at the Femmes.

You can’t like Cake and Beck and be lukewarm on VF THATS JUST NOT NATURAL.

I don't dislike them, I think I was just

Oct 3, 2019, 8:57 AM

born a few years too late...no shade thrown. Made a point to see them out of RESPECK

Took son of to see em at Ryman last year with

Oct 3, 2019, 9:01 AM

Echo and the Bunnymen

Just a phenomenal show, but what was extra cool was my son going to get some water during the Echo set, running into Brian Ritchie (VF bass player) in the lobby, and getting bass tips from the guy for 5 minutes like my son was the only dude in the room. ‘Twas a good night.

Oh yeah—Dguar....

Oct 3, 2019, 9:18 AM [ in reply to I don't dislike them, I think I was just ]

Mike Farris is doing house shows now for people who donate to some cause or another that he supports.

Not sure how much but I imagine it’s walking around money for a successful edgy architect in an up and coming metropolis. He will even play cheetah songs for you.

Re: Oh yeah—Dguar....

Oct 3, 2019, 9:44 AM

Holy Mother of Mothra.

Oct 3, 2019, 8:56 AM

I'm not sure I can actually pin that down. I've totally lost count of how many shows I've seen in the last 5 years. Mrs. asked how many we've seen just this summer started, and going back to count that up...I'm sitting at 36 bands/artists since May 1. Still have ZZ Top this coming Sunday night, Elizabeth Cook and Will Hoge in 2 weeks, and pulled the trigger just last night on Tishamingo reunion in Atlanta and Clutch/The Steel Woods/Tyler Bryant & the Shakedown both in December.

I might have a very serious addiction, actually.

So reading between the lines there,

Oct 3, 2019, 8:58 AM

It was the Air Supply Farewell tour at Carowinds?

Pfffffttttt.

Oct 3, 2019, 9:02 AM

We had Air Supply do at house show in our living room, because their innate greatness trumps all other musics. But that Shaun Cassidy show at Carowinds...well, let me just regale you with tales of debauchery from THAT show.

Used to love Will Hoge when he was rock and roll

Oct 3, 2019, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Holy Mother of Mothra. ]

saw him many times at the Handlebar.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tyler Childers at Charleston Music Hall***

Oct 3, 2019, 9:07 AM

How is that venue? Looking at possibly trying to get to

Oct 3, 2019, 9:14 AM

this show.

https://www.charlestonmusichall.com/event/todd-snider/

Re: How is that venue? Looking at possibly trying to get to

Oct 3, 2019, 9:22 AM

The venue is really good. It's small or intimate as they would probably try to market it. There isn't really a bad seat. I was in the balcony for TC and could see everything. Acoustics were awesome.

They also usually have a special release beer from Edmunds Oast for the venue that changes occasionally.

It is pretty good. I had balcony for Stapleton and

Oct 3, 2019, 9:23 AM [ in reply to How is that venue? Looking at possibly trying to get to ]

floor seats for Warren Haynes. I liked both equally. You may even have Bill Murry threaten to burn the building down.

it's a good venue

Oct 3, 2019, 11:43 AM [ in reply to How is that venue? Looking at possibly trying to get to ]

the guy that runs it is younger than us and is pretty cool.

i did see 311 there and that was weird with the fixed seats.

i'll be seeing the christmas spectacular there with the outlaws in a couple of months.

Gary Clark Jr. in 2017 in Buffalo on the water:

Oct 3, 2019, 9:35 AM

https://youtube.com/watch?v=spa8CVylup8

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/gary-clark-jr/2017/canalside-buffalo-ny-73e4a2b5.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Grateful Dead at Soldier Field, 2015

Oct 3, 2019, 9:37 AM

that's a toughie though, seen lot of good shows, WSMFP NYE last year was incredible

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

You get Fox tickets for this year?***

Oct 3, 2019, 9:42 AM

yep, all tree nights!***

Oct 3, 2019, 9:47 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's funny...I'm sure that was cool, but

Oct 3, 2019, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Grateful Dead at Soldier Field, 2015 ]

I saw em that November (also 2015 right after they'd stopped playing together forever) and that show didn't even pop in my head when thinking about this question.

Could be because the lineup wasn't incredibly tight yet with Mayer just being added, or it could be that Bridgestone arena is just a horrible, horrible place to see a show.

it was an awesome feel

Oct 3, 2019, 10:01 AM

actually felt like a Dead show even without Jerry, the fans were into it, the band was into it, the GA passes got us close to the stage, Trey rocked, Phil was playing with the band, Bruce Hornsby was there, and the music was awesome, and it was a very tough ticket to get

Wouldn't trade the experience for the world and it was amazing

Oct 3, 2019, 9:42 AM

Prince in Greenville (bit longer than 5 years ago)- just an unreal performer and musician. 3 hour non-stop on your feet party.

Pearl Jam Greenville- great set list and energy

Tedeschi Trucks Band Augusta and Simpsonville- one of the best touring bands today in my opinion. True professionals and all are great musicians.

Jimmy Buffett also on Daniel Island***

Oct 3, 2019, 9:44 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2019, 9:50 AM

No concert per se, but listened to a local bluegrass band on several occasions

tough call - here are the legends I’ve seen in the past 5 years:

Oct 3, 2019, 10:01 AM

GnR
Brian Wilson performing Pet Sounds
Dylan (twice)
Ringo Starr
The Who

I’ll give the slightest of nods to The Who with GnR and Brian Wilson very close behind.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Naked and Famous

Oct 3, 2019, 10:05 AM

May be the only band I've seen in the last 5 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAkvDbYWqc

Oct 3, 2019, 10:18 AM

The Who with Joan Jett.
Raleigh
( Don't remember the date)

Luke Bryan on Y Beach

Oct 3, 2019, 10:20 AM

Only because we went by boat and got plastered. Don't really remember much of the actual concert, other than he turned the stage around like a d-bag to dissuade people from coming by boat. I also don't really enjoy concerts, hate the crowds.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

REK's xmas show at the Peace Center

Oct 3, 2019, 12:28 PM

going again this year. Papa G's ears have been affected by all the loud music he has listened to - so concerts are few and far between these days.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

futurebirds at Queen Park social***

Oct 3, 2019, 12:48 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

they played on a secondary stage at the thang I was at on

Oct 3, 2019, 12:57 PM

Friday....didn't see them tho - was in the beer line. Also, never heard of them.

The Last Waltz at Atl Symphony Hall***

Oct 3, 2019, 12:56 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 79
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic