Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ken Hatfield recruited and signed Brian Dawkins.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Ken Hatfield recruited and signed Brian Dawkins.

Feb 4, 2018, 2:51 PM

He is the only head coach in Clemson football history to have signed an NFL Hall of Famer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Ken Hatfield recruited and signed Brian Dawkins.

Feb 4, 2018, 2:56 PM

OK..... cool. I don’t get it though. Was someone saying he didn’t or something???

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You didn't miss anything. I just thought it was funny

Feb 4, 2018, 3:07 PM

since he is so hated by some Clemson fans, yet did something that Danny Ford, Frank Howard, etc. didn't do. For someone who supposedly can't recruit, he sure got it right with Dawkins.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: You didn't miss anything. I just thought it was funny

Feb 4, 2018, 3:18 PM

Who hates him? I dunno, I wasn’t a fan until I started there in the late 90’s so I have no dog in the fight, but just curious.

Lots of people here. Just wait until more people see my post

Feb 4, 2018, 3:21 PM

The mere mention of his name a few weeks ago, when he was named to the College Football Playoff Committee, resulted in several days' worth of posts about how horrible he was and how he ruined Clemson football. Some people still aren't over it, 25 years later.

LOL. Look at you.***

Feb 4, 2018, 5:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

1 HOF or 1 national championship***

Feb 4, 2018, 3:20 PM [ in reply to You didn't miss anything. I just thought it was funny ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You didn't miss anything. I just thought it was funny

Feb 4, 2018, 3:53 PM [ in reply to You didn't miss anything. I just thought it was funny ]

Blind nut eats a squirrel or something something

DB23

I knew we were in trouble when Hatfield stated

Feb 4, 2018, 4:25 PM [ in reply to You didn't miss anything. I just thought it was funny ]

after the Spring game in 1990 that "Our second team offensive line is better than my last Arkansas team's first team offensive line."

He tried to still recruit Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas while at Clemson. Got a few guys, but not many. Two years later we finished 5-6, and lost to a bad Wake team at home. It was our first losing season since 1976.

Bobby Robinson was trying to find someone with an impeccable record with the NCAA. It was an awful hire. I took us almost 20 years to recover because the next hire was Tommy West, who had just finished a 4-7 record in his only year as HC at UT Chattanooga. He was hired simply because he worked for DF. Another bad hire.

The misery began with the Hatfield hire.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should read "It took almost 20 years..."***

Feb 4, 2018, 4:31 PM

Didn't Hatfield bring in Emory Smith too even

Feb 4, 2018, 5:17 PM [ in reply to You didn't miss anything. I just thought it was funny ]

Though he never lived up to some fan's expectations he was a key recruit at the time.

Even a blind squirell finds a nut every once in a while***

Feb 4, 2018, 2:57 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2018, 3:20 PM

Perhaps if you ever get around to taking a break from the Ken Hatfield apology tour, you may find the time to do some historical analysis. The coach who ran Clemson into the ground after only two seasons didn’t find Brian Dawkins.

Clemson lucked into Dawkins because Rick Stockstill allowed him to come as a package deal with the goal of signing Patrick Sapp. While we were losing out on the Tommy Fraziers, ole Hatfield was signing LBs and DBs and turning them into Flexbone QBs.

The simple fact remains that nobody was after Dawkins and your boy Ken lucked into him by sheer chance. Had not Sapp and Dawkins been at the same high school, rest assured Hatfield would have filled that spot with another Ford twin clone. Try again.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL, Hatfield isn't "my boy."

Feb 4, 2018, 3:23 PM

It's sad that my objective look at his tenure as our coach - both good and bad - results in him being "my boy." Ha ha.

It is time to be a grown up and bury the hate for Hatfield. He wasn't the right coach for us, but he did something that other coaches at Clemson didn't do. I think it's funny that it bothers some of you so much!

Re: LOL, Hatfield isn't "my boy."

Feb 4, 2018, 3:29 PM

I think you knew exactly what you were doing bringing this up. Took a week for the crap to die last time so let’s just get it going again. Things must have been too civil

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

I’m not doing anything.

Feb 4, 2018, 3:49 PM

With the news this weekend that Dawkins is an NFL Hall of Famer, our first in school history, I was curious as to who recruited him and who he played for. I was surprised it was Hatfield.

Feb 4, 2018, 3:30 PM [ in reply to LOL, Hatfield isn't "my boy." ]

Judge Keller has spoken so you must listen. I learned that a few weeks ago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m not really sure what you mean.

Feb 4, 2018, 3:50 PM

I don’t expect most people here to care what I have to say.

Feb 4, 2018, 4:03 PM [ in reply to LOL, Hatfield isn't "my boy." ]

Yep. Your boy did do things no other coach at Clemson has ever done:

He ran an elite program into the ground.

He lost to Virginia.

He took an elite program and killed it.

He left his successor with a roster so depleted the 1994 tad a whole backfield comprised of true freshman with the burden of operating behind an abysmally thin offensive line.

He killed what Ford built.

He alienated many in-state and NC connections and instead went out to TX and LA and brought in duds nobody wanted from out there.

He destroyed a machine.

He took a program that had gone into FSU and mopped the floor in 1989 and went back into Tallahassee in 1993 and left with a 57-0 shellacking that revealed just how much he had decimated what had been.

Keep tooting your boy’s horn if you enjoy looking foolish.

I don’t disagree with any of those things.

Feb 4, 2018, 4:08 PM

I have no problem acknowledging all of the things he did poorly. You listed some of them. As I’ve said many times, he wasn’t the right coach for us.

But we also weren’t the right school for him, based on the fact that he wasn’t fully supported and even undermined by some fans at times.

Even with perfect conditions, I don’t think Hatfield would’ve kept us quite to the level Ford had us.

Regardless, I find it humorous if not sad that some of our fans can’t get over it. It was 25 years ago. The man did his best, and it wasn’t good enough. Move on.

Re: I don’t disagree with any of those things.

Feb 4, 2018, 4:15 PM

I don’t hate the man. Just don’t paint him as a victim. There were powers in place whose goal was taking the football team down a few notches or killing it altogether .

They succeeded. He surely helped their cause......intentional or not.

Re: I don’t disagree with any of those things.

Feb 4, 2018, 4:36 PM [ in reply to I don’t disagree with any of those things. ]

Then why your need to keep bringing him up? You know the response yet it comes up again to be drug out for a week

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Feb 4, 2018, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Ken Hatfield recruited and signed Brian Dawkins. ]

Part of the reason we missed on Frazier is that we got Sapp and Dexter Mcleon, who were both highly rated qbs.

Hatfield's recruiting suffered in part due to sabotage efforts by others. In part.

I definitely agree that was part of the problem.

Feb 4, 2018, 3:56 PM

I don’t believe Hatfield would’ve recruited quite as well as Ford did, but he would’ve probably recruited a lot better than he did if some of our “fans” didn’t sabotage his efforts.

A part of that could have been Hatfield's faith and Dawkins'***

Feb 4, 2018, 3:41 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2018, 3:42 PM

Even a broken clock shows the correct time twice a day.

Feb 4, 2018, 4:12 PM

Can anyone who responded in this thread recall the # that Dawkins wore in his freshman season? I am a walking encyclopedia of useless knowledge just want to know if their are others like me.

Yes, he recruited him, but Danny's reputation and

Feb 4, 2018, 4:14 PM

the program he had built signed him.

LOL, okay.***

Feb 4, 2018, 4:17 PM

Was NewSpring involved?

Feb 4, 2018, 4:24 PM

or Bitcoin?

You say don't bring this up, but, why would you bring this up?

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Thanks for pointing this out. He did wonders for our football program.***

Feb 4, 2018, 4:34 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for pointing this out. He did wonders for our football program.***

Feb 4, 2018, 7:35 PM

Don't be so hard on Judge Keller he's also a big fan of Robert Thorne McRae.

he had zero ncaa violations

Feb 4, 2018, 5:36 PM

And we didn’t get the death penalty. Mission accomplished

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic