Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You guys are better off without Wade
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

You guys are better off without Wade

Mar 21, 2017, 11:17 AM

Warning: this post comes with an admitted level of saltiness/bitterness.

Will Wade is a pretty good coach. He did not warrant the contract LSU gave him though. You guys might have dodged a bullet with this one (not saying BB is the answer either).

From day one Wade displayed a pattern of berating players in public. His press conferences rubbed many fans the wrong way. I often talked with an uncle of a prominent player on our team (who happens to post on our forum) and he often described wide-spread discontent amongst the team. There were one or two who were going to transfer after this season but will be staying now. Take that for what you will. The way in which he left was even worse: the players and staff found out through ESPN. Our AD had a verbal commitment from Wade and he totally turned his back in the late hours of the night.

Long story short, Will Wade was a robotic and calculating individual. I have no doubt he will use LSU as yet another stepping stone, if he shows any ability to recruit locally and win big games (neither of which he did for us).

VCU and Clemson are better off without him. Good luck in the future and with your potential coaching search next year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I appreciate your post.. thanks!***

Mar 21, 2017, 11:20 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Kelsey with Winthrop should have been contacted as well!!

Mar 22, 2017, 10:10 AM

DRad missed that boat on him as well. BB has been put on notice just like Leggett. At least now, DRad has a year to network and find a guy like Monte for Hoops. Now, we just have to seat thru the agony of defeats next fall/winter. Season Ticketholder #s will drop like 2008 Stock Market.

I never thought he was definitely the answer.

Mar 21, 2017, 11:23 AM

I thought people were getting carried away thinking Wade was so great. He may be, but as of now nobody knows. I don't mind that he went elsewhere. I just wish CBB was gone.

Like most of us*****

Mar 21, 2017, 11:41 AM

I believe in Bb

Mar 22, 2017, 3:51 AM

You people need to get on board and stop whining

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You guys are better off without Wade

Mar 21, 2017, 11:26 AM

Agreed. Clemson needs a tough minded coach that is willing to show some emotion and stick up for the team.

Clemson and VCU alum here. Agree 100%.***

Mar 21, 2017, 11:26 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks, but don't think we ever went after him.

Mar 21, 2017, 11:32 AM

I don't think our AD ever actually considered a move this year. I think Brownell has known for some time he would be back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2017, 11:34 AM

VCU wasn't very impressive with Wade. Took a step back from Smart

Thank you for your post.

Mar 21, 2017, 11:37 AM

A lot of us were very excited at the prospect of hiring him. The fact that he has done very well in his four years as a head coach, coupled with the fact that he is a Clemson graduate, led us to believe that he would be a great fit here.

However, the rumors about him rejecting our offer of $1.75 million plus incentives, and did so in a very rude way ("Clemson is a mid-major job in a major conference, with no upside" according to reports) was a huge turn-off. His agent was reportedly trying to get $2.8 million for him. I personally don't think he is worth anything close to that at this point. He has always won with other players, and has not shown that he can manage a program and sustain success over the long term.

It sounds like we really dodged a bullet here. Thank you again for sharing. Best of luck to VCU in finding a great coach to replace him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

what i find amazing

Mar 21, 2017, 11:39 AM

is if he is such a good coach, and with the myriad of opportunities opened up, and you choose lsu??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

That makes you wonder how interested

Mar 21, 2017, 11:43 AM

NC State and Clemson truly were. I'm also wondering just how seriously we considered him, if at all.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: That makes you wonder how interested

Mar 21, 2017, 12:29 PM

agreed - agent could have rubbed drad the wrong way or drad had no interest from the start. but, there were many other coaches available to interview and drad chose to stand pat. whole situation is strange

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: Thank you for your post.

Mar 21, 2017, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Thank you for your post. ]

of course, the lsu job is much easier than vcu. just have to finish 3rd best behind uk and gators.

Funny enough, there is some level of truth to this statement. The expectations/pressure at VCU are much higher than at LSU right now.

Mar 22, 2017, 1:32 PM

LSWho, the school with the deaf fans??? Ha Ha Ha

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good stuff

Thanks for stopping by.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

That kind of fits with the alleged comments he made

Mar 21, 2017, 11:45 AM

regarding Clemson basketball.

I've watched VCU religiously the past two seasons.

Mar 21, 2017, 12:16 PM

You are 100% correct. I never understood the love for Will Wade. I'm really glad he didn't end up becoming Clemson's coach.

And he berates his players like crazy. Don't want that here.

Re: I've watched VCU religiously the past two seasons.

Mar 22, 2017, 1:43 PM

Exactly, why would we want another Mid Major coach that fears proving that he actually has any upside by coaching in the ACC. The ACC would make him prove his worth constantly day in and day out that could break his spirit of being an "all that coach" that he believes that he is!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

VCU needs a coach, please take Brownell***

Mar 21, 2017, 12:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Berates his players?? I'm thinking we need some of that.

Mar 21, 2017, 12:23 PM

Our football coach berates players on the sideline all the time. I'm thinking that can be a useful teaching tool.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Berates his players?? I'm thinking we need some of that.

Mar 21, 2017, 12:26 PM

In moderation, yes. But WW publicly shamed players during press conferences.

I watched some of his pressers this week and came to the same conclusion

Mar 21, 2017, 12:37 PM

I watched one and thought..geez, this guy is a complete jerk. Thinking maybe it was just a bad one day, I watched a few more. Same reaction, major a**hole. He's aloof, negative, condescending, and overall unlikable. I have the feeling that he's another Mike Rice. Glad he's not coming here.

Mar 21, 2017, 12:43 PM

Keep watching Chris Holtmann and Butler for the remainder of the NCAA's.........

Thank you for your thoughts...just wondering

Mar 21, 2017, 1:15 PM

what was the general feeling on Smart as a headcoach? Have heard nothing but good things.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thank you for your thoughts...just wondering

Mar 21, 2017, 1:23 PM

Smart was adored by fans and the community in general. He had a great personality and was the face of sports in Richmond. His recruiting skills were incredible and he is responsible for much of the PR/branding efforts within our program.

Some criticized his unwavering dedication to "Havoc" style of play and his game management skills, especially on the offensive end. I think overall though you'd find that many around the program still view him in a good light.

Mar 21, 2017, 1:19 PM

Great post thanks for sharing. He wanted to cash in while he could. I'm not sold yet on Wade either - everyone has won at VCU not many have won once they left.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2017, 1:35 PM

I keep telling youall to keep your eyes on Chris Holtmann of Butler...He's got it all going.....

I'd love to have him

Mar 21, 2017, 1:48 PM

but why would he leave Butler? Already plays in a great basketball league. They have a brand. Sweet 16 this year and back to back championship games in the recent past. Last coach left for the NBA.

Just don't see the fit

It would probably take at least $2 and probably $3 million

Mar 21, 2017, 9:53 PM [ in reply to Re: You guys are better off without Wade ]

per year to get a coach like that. Unfortunately, I don't see Clemson ponying up that much money for a basketball coach anytime soon.

Never had understood why we take the

Mar 21, 2017, 11:13 PM

penny wise, pound foolish approach to hiring basketball coaches. If we get a great coach that makes us a great program, the revenue would way outweigh the salary difference.

I'm with ya....

Mar 22, 2017, 4:10 PM

You want a solid basketball program. Hire a BIG time coach who has proven that they can 1) coach, 2) Recruit and 3) connect with our overall athletic culture.

Don't come on here attacking a Clemson man like that

Mar 21, 2017, 2:10 PM

coot!

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I guess it's better to be in the frying pan

Mar 21, 2017, 10:11 PM

than out in the fire.

Mar 22, 2017, 1:22 PM

LMAO, this guy has gotten more TU's in one post than a lot of claim to be Tiger fans that has been on T-net for a year. Good post, and thanks!!! If Wade would have been hired at Clemson, and he was found to be as arrogant as you say that he is, Tiger fans would have blown up the administration with faxes and E-Mails. Our fans are really partial and one sided when it comes to our players that has chosen to come and play for Clemson. Like our coaches, we will stand up tall for our players that wear our Paw with pride!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

Mar 22, 2017, 1:58 PM

We will open up the check book and get someone good when the time comes. Our new facilities demonstrate we are taking this serious and will be a helpful selling point. He wasn't going to take 2 from use when he got 2.8 at lsu.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic