Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kegorator
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,412

Kegorator

Nov 19, 2016, 5:07 PM

Anyone here have a kegorator and care to share whether you found you could have done without it OR you don't know how you lived your life without it?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kegorator

Nov 19, 2016, 5:20 PM

Everybody need a kegorator. Get one with two faucets. Or if you find a deal on a single-faucet one, make sure it has room for two sixtels and modify it.

Nov 19, 2016, 6:18 PM

Even if all you drink is one beer?

Nov 19, 2016, 5:24 PM

If its not commercial grade - save your money

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Nov 19, 2016, 6:17 PM

What is special about commercial grade and why is that better than a non commercial grade?

Nov 20, 2016, 8:55 AM

Here are some of the issues, you can search "kegarator problems" to learn of others, and "kegarator mods" to learn of fixes.

Biggest two problems-
1. Lack of airflow in the cabinet. Cool air sinks, warm air rises, making the bottom much cooler than the top. Very hard to regulate beer temp, which needs to stay around 38 degrees and not freeze. Solution- install a fan in the cabinet. I did this, huge improvement.

2. Poor thermostats on cheap models. Replace it with a digital higher grade thermostat. I did this as well.

3. Cheap kegarators use cheap cold plate technology to cool the cabinet. If you get humidity in the cabinet (and you will), it is going to get covered in ice. This creates two problems. First is that it just doesn't cool well when covered in ice. Second is that they put the thermostat probe behind or close to the cold plate, so your thermostat thinks the cabinet is colder than it really is. Solution is to keep humidity very low in the cabinet (google how) and to move your thermostat probe to a better location.

Other problems include poor insulation, lack of a true drain for spills, using the kegarator to cool the tower is not an efficient method, cheap beer lines,etc...

Message was edited by: ClemTig®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that you, hank hill?

Nov 19, 2016, 5:24 PM
IMG_1803.PNG(704.9 K)

My brother in law has one. Bell's Two Hearted Ale on tap

Nov 19, 2016, 5:26 PM

tonight. That may be better than having one yourself. Love it! :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have one.

Nov 19, 2016, 6:22 PM

Would not want to live without it.
If you're handy, make your own out of a freezer. Keezer.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zHWy_Vlw3J4

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Have one.

Nov 19, 2016, 6:59 PM

Keezers are good advice and awesome when using a temp control. I'm a home brewer and made a keezer myself. Three perlick faucets. Very nice to have, and very fun to make. However, moderation is your friend. Excess can hurt you .....like all vices. Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WNCTiger11

Nov 19, 2016, 7:00 PM [ in reply to Have one. ]

That's awesome!!!

Nov 20, 2016, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Have one. ]

This is HIGHLY recommended. Old fridge with a tap set in the door works too, but isn't as pretty.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2016, 6:57 PM

Don't buy a $500 kegarator unless you want to spend a lot of time and some $ making it right. I did that. After telling the wife we should buy the $1000 kegarator first, which she vetoed. If you don't want to spend the 1k, just get an old fridge and put a tap in the door. Far better at the job than any cheap kegarator.

Nov 20, 2016, 8:59 AM

I drunkenly bought a conversion kit for my mini fridge that I have from my time at Clemson. I haven't gotten around to getting it together though.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Nov 20, 2016, 9:41 AM

Have one, but I don't drink but 2 beers a night prob 5 days a week. It perfect a nice frothy beer on demand and I don't have to change it but maybe every 4-5 months. Great for guests during football games. I could do without it but I don't mind not buying beer and draught just tastes so much better.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,412
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic