Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Keeping the SEC out of the CFB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Keeping the SEC out of the CFB

Oct 28, 2019, 2:33 PM

It could happen though it'd take a little luck. Here's the formula.

B12 needs at least a 1 loss champion.
P12 needs at least a 1 loss champion.
Clemson wins out.
B10 needs at least a 1 loss champion.

SEC

In the East.
UGA beats UF giving UF a second loss.
Auburn (or someone else) beats UGA giving them a second loss.

UGA represents the SEC East.

In the West,
LSU loses to Alabama giving them one loss.
Alabama loses to Auburn giving them one loss.

Alabama represents the SEC West.

UGA beats Alabama and becomes a 2 loss champion.

The SEC will be on the outside looking in.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Keeping the SEC out of the CFB

Oct 28, 2019, 2:36 PM

A 1 loss LSU would get in over a 1 loss Oklahoma or PAC 12 champ 10/10.

Oct 28, 2019, 2:43 PM

A 1 loss conference champions HAS NEVER been left out of the CFB.

Two 1-loss conference co-champs got left out in the 1st

Oct 31, 2019, 11:35 AM

year of the CFP. They were left out in favor of other 1-loss conference champs though.

Oct 31, 2019, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Keeping the SEC out of the CFB ]

Tell that to the B12. Technically they had two 1-loss "champs' left out. In honestly, if the B12 didn't call them co-champs, well... but then again the committee should have considered TCU over Ohio State as their 3 point last minute road loss against #5 Baylor was a lot less of a blemish than the 14 point home loss to an unranked 7-6 VaTech team. Also TCU was absolutely obliterating everyone by a similar margin.

You can kinda point to that TCU would have lost the "tie breaker' to Baylor for the true title but then again, they have picked a non-conference champ too.

0% chance***

Oct 28, 2019, 2:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Keeping the SEC out of the CFB ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If that were to happen,

Oct 28, 2019, 2:37 PM

Then only the weakest P-5 conference in all the land, the ACC, would have participated in every College Football Playoff. There'd be a temblor felt across the SEC! LOL!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

except we weren't in the first CFP, Ohio St won that one***

Oct 28, 2019, 3:51 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: except we weren't in the first CFP, Ohio St won that one***

Oct 28, 2019, 4:21 PM

FSU

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In that scenario...

Oct 28, 2019, 2:37 PM

you would still have a number of talking heads clamouring that both LSU and Bama should still be in the CFP ahead of those one-loss conference champions.

Heck, you have some calling for a two-loss Georgia to be in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: In that scenario...

Oct 28, 2019, 2:45 PM

They can clamor, but they don't vote.

And their clamoring would be beautiful to listen too. It would smack of such desperation. Their "tough SEC schedule" would be to blame.....Cry me a river.

As bad as it is, it has gotten better since the early days..

Oct 28, 2019, 4:04 PM [ in reply to In that scenario... ]

of the playoff when ESPiN talking heads called for four SEC teams to make it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2019, 2:41 PM

:)

Oct 28, 2019, 2:46 PM

Don't bet the farm on any of that happening. The SEC will have at least one team in.eSECpn will see to that.

Oct 28, 2019, 2:52 PM

I hear you. A lot depends on Gus, which is not a good guy to bet on. However, it would still be fun to watch because it'd take'm by surprise.

Oct 28, 2019, 3:07 PM

If Alabama goes into the SEC championship with one loss you can bet the refs will be in the mix on getting them the win so that wont happen - to much at stake. You watch some of those games this year? SEC refs are worse than the ACC!

Oct 28, 2019, 3:49 PM

Do you actually think that both of the two best teams in the SEC as in Bama or LSU could be left out of the playoffs. ESECPN would boycott all college sports if that was to happen. They are not going to sit still and allow that to happen, not in 2019, and not as long as they have their biggest money invested in the Southeastern Conference football, period. I also think that with the Walt Disney company buying out or into ESECPN and ABC sports, their money would speak louder than Thunder and Lightning, and a SEC team will be in the college FB playoffs, and I do believe they would put an SEC team in even if they had 2 losses, even if all others of the power 5 had an undefeated team in their conference. The SEC will never be left out the college FB playoffs even if a undefeated gets left out, that's a FACT!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2019, 11:29 AM

Yes, a two loss SEC Conference Champion will be on the outside looking in. I guarantee those on the CFP committee representing the B10, B12, and P12 prevent it. Disney money doesn't matter.

You are probably not going to like my comment.

Oct 28, 2019, 4:02 PM

I have no doubt the SEC champ belongs in the CFP. Anyone who thinks a B12, B1G or PAC champion can beat the winner of the SECCG is biased.

I hate the SEC conference because ESPiN goes to extraordinary lengths to make the SEC more than it is. That does not blind me from seeing how strong some of the teams are. Imo, LSU and Alabama have seen little competition to this point. So has Clemson.

I'm not comparing LSU of UA to Clemson, imo that's not fair. Clemson is head and shoulders above any and every team in the country. I'm comparing LSU and UA to OSU, OU and what I've seen from the PAC.

What we want is the four teams which can be most competitive in the playoff. It no longer bothers me that two of them may be SEC teams.

I would only hope that if two SEC teams make the cut they play in the first round. There are four payoffs for the CFP. All four teams' conferences get one share for being represented in the first round. The conference of the two teams which make the finals get another share.

That's six total lump sums of money to split according to how the PO goes. When two teams from one conference make the final game that conference earns two shares from the first round then two shares from the final game. That awards that conference 2/3rds of the total playoff.

The payoff is my only contention to having two teams participate from the same conference. That is exactly why ESPiN pushes the SEC so faithfully. That is also why I only watch ESPiN when they are airing a game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You are probably not going to like my comment.

Oct 28, 2019, 4:22 PM

Somebody has been brainwashed too!! SEC only has a couple of good teams just like the rest of the conferences. They schedule all there tough OOC games early in the year so they can have all off season to prepare. Now if you want a talk about revenue, stadium sizes and enthusiasm then you would be correct.

Re: You are probably not going to like my comment.

Oct 31, 2019, 10:26 AM [ in reply to You are probably not going to like my comment. ]

I do not disagree, and my feeling are the exact same about the SEC. We can hate them, but we can't change the facts that they are the strongest conference in college FB even though that conference is top heavy with only a few teams at this time that are better than the rest. But, the SEC fans and media are riding the SEC from 5 to 10 years back!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The SEC has lost 2 out of the last 3 championships.

Oct 28, 2019, 4:31 PM

They've proven they can't hang with the big boys.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: The SEC has lost 2 out of the last 3 championships.

Oct 31, 2019, 10:47 AM

They have shown that only one team in their conference that can play on the same field with present day Clemson on occasion IMO, and that is Bama that we are 2-2 with the past 4 years!!! Fans and media continue to state that if Clemson played an SEC schedule that we wouldn't have won the two NC's that we have won. I don't believe that, I believe the Clemson teams that won those two NC's would have went through an SEC schedule just the same bc we have beaten the best that the SEC has more times than just the two NC wins!!!

We could have beaten an SEC east schedule like Bama goes through the SEC east teams. But, if we were in the present day SEC from 2014-15 to now, we would have gotten the same type players we have been getting, Plus, we would have gotten those players that loved us but wanted to play in the SEC bc they to believe the SEC hype. Put Clemson in the SEC during/under Dabo Swinney, and Clemson is the talk of the SEC, and I truly believe that!!!

UGA has proven...

Oct 31, 2019, 12:20 PM

...that they can lose to just about anyone, even between the hedges.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic