Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I talked with the parent of a UNC athlete the other day
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

I talked with the parent of a UNC athlete the other day

Sep 17, 2020, 12:28 PM

They spoke of how nice UNC's football stadium is now. I'm sure they've never been to Clemson's DV. I didnt have the heart to tell them we probably sell more season tix that they have total seats. Not that it matters this year

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure it is nice an clean.

Sep 17, 2020, 12:31 PM

And "airy."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm sure it is nice an clean.

Sep 17, 2020, 12:36 PM

No doubt it’s been “airy” in the past. I remember being able to have 3 or 4 seats to stretch out. It has changed though. Last year all games were sold out.

UNC does have a nice stadium

Sep 17, 2020, 12:34 PM

It's not DV but it's a fine place to see a game

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: UNC does have a nice stadium

Sep 17, 2020, 12:36 PM

Its ok but I havent been there since the latest expansion

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Keenan stadium sucks. Any FOOTBALL stadium that is best

Sep 17, 2020, 1:50 PM [ in reply to UNC does have a nice stadium ]

described as "beautiful", "pristine nestled in below the heights of the pine trees as originally willed by the regal Horatio "Keenan" Chardonnay" or "natural splendor" is a craphole of an excuse for a football stadium that is befitting for the likes of Jim Lampley, Roy Williams, et al. They are freaking, crap PINE TREES . . . . not sequoias or anything decent - crap, weed trees.

AND

The air of superiority and arrogance is ABUNDANTLY natural - they don't have to pump it in or anything. It naturally occurs as provided by the 30K or so that are in attendance for the football game, as they pass the time before the blue / white basketball game.

Campus sucks, too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I've never understood how UNC got the reputation on TNET

Sep 17, 2020, 4:41 PM

for being arrogant and elitist. Based on the comments I read here, their fans are portrayed as super snobby. I can't figure out why.

The UNC fans I've mentioned are pretty similar to fans of any other large public university. Some are alums, but many aren't. Some are well off, but many aren't. I definitely get more of a beer drinking vibe than a wine sipping vibe from the ones I've known.

What am I missing?

Do fans of other schools view UNC fans as snobby and elitist? I've only seen that mentioned here (ad nauseum).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I've never understood how UNC got the reputation on TNET

Sep 17, 2020, 4:51 PM

Judge I can’t really say why. I am a UNC grad. Grew up on a dairy farm. I now have a good business but I get up early and come home dirty every day. Back porch swing and glass of tea is how my evenings are spent. My college roommate also came from a farm family.
I’m sure there’s plenty of snooty UNC people but most of us are people who attended a state school.

Sep 17, 2020, 4:54 PM [ in reply to I've never understood how UNC got the reputation on TNET ]

Obviously not all of them are like that Judge but having spent a lot of time there, I definitely ran across my fair share. I heard enough disparaging remarks about the state of South Carolina while living there to know it exists. I do have quite few UNC friends that are good people though so I hesitate to paint them all with a broad stroke...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2020, 6:51 PM

This. But in recent years not so much. It does not hurt that both Charleston and Greenville are regarded by many to be better places to live than anywhere in NC. SC is also much less of a good ole boy state now, is not viewed nearly as backward as 30-40 years back, and our universities have risen in stature dramatically in recent decades. I suspect almost no knowledgeable person would consider living in Greenville or Charleston inferior to living anywhere in NC (unless you happened to want to live in an NFL city) and many would consider it superior.

Sep 17, 2020, 5:02 PM [ in reply to I've never understood how UNC got the reputation on TNET ]

I’m 54. Class of 88. BS in finance from Clemson. The 70s and 80s there was always this just insane arrogance by UNC. I’ve met some Carolina grads over the years and most of them are pretty arrogant. And they all look down their nose at Clemson and the state of South Carolina. Now this is limited, but consistent!

Sep 17, 2020, 5:11 PM

I get that. I graduated in 87 so I understand the arrogant ones are around. Coming from a farm family it always pissed me off when people referred to NC State or Clemson as “cow college”. I know most are just playing but to me it sends a message that they don’t value agriculture as a career compared to banking, education, law or whatever. Yes, believe it or not even as a UNC student I would always correct people when I heard that.

Sep 17, 2020, 11:14 PM

Most places have those types. Some locations more than others. They think food comes from grocery stores and electricity from little holes in the wall.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2020, 5:18 PM [ in reply to I've never understood how UNC got the reputation on TNET ]

I've always had a good time when I went there. Love the campus and downtown. Would have probably been my second choice for attending college.

Mine comes from spending 25 or so years within 45 minutes

Sep 17, 2020, 5:22 PM [ in reply to I've never understood how UNC got the reputation on TNET ]

of that craphole place or associating with folks that were full-blown crybaby blue kool-aid drinkers within that time frame.

I grew up as the outsider in my orange everything wear - from the time I was 5 or 6 on.

I was looked down on & treated with "loving" pats on the head and "ohhhhh, look - isn't he cute - a lil Clemson guy" kinda crap.

and 98% of the time it was a condescending tarhole.

It worked to my advantage in elementary school as I was given the "greatest gift" of being invited to go to that crap stadium with a buddy (who was an arrogant toad even in elementary school) and his ram's club Dad & Uncle and watch a pretty decent football game - something like 10-8 Good Guys . . . . it was maybe in 1981 or something.

Continued all through high school & into Clemson days . . . would go up to that tree hugging hell-hole and party like crazy at He's Not Here and Franklin Street hoity-toity places. Had some interactions with some co-eds that one would think might change my overall opinion.

Didn't - not one little bit.

So to summarize - lots & lots of personal interactions have lead me to the "stereotype" (that has to come from somewhere) that tarholes are VERY VERY proud of themselves.

Tardog swears he is the exception - I have run across a very, VERY few others that would be exceptions. I believe Tardog. But it isn't about farming or getting dirty or anything like that. It is about how you carry yourself.

So JK - just cause you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it isn't a thing. And just because I say they are ALL like that - clearly they aren't . . . . by a least 2 or 3 co-eds and MAYBE Tardog . Maybe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Mine comes from spending 25 or so years within 45 minutes

Sep 17, 2020, 5:35 PM

Rocky I got you to the “maybe” stage. Lol. I promise if you met me you could say “well, there’s one that’s not arrogant”. My honest opinion of myself is that I am nothing. In Christ I boast and in Him only.

Amen - meeeeeeee, too ! ! !

Sep 17, 2020, 5:42 PM

I'll buy you several adult beverages or bottomless sweet tea when we meet.

G O T I G E R S ! ! !

Re: Amen - meeeeeeee, too ! ! !

Sep 17, 2020, 5:57 PM

Bottomless sweet tea sounds awesome brother!!

Sep 17, 2020, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Mine comes from spending 25 or so years within 45 minutes ]

Most UNC folks are quite tolerable now, but that is largely because they have been humiliated and humbled as severely as any university, alumni base, and fan base in the country (with the possible exception of SMU and Miami) in the past half century due to their prolonged and very public academic fraud scandal that bled over from athletics to the core academic integrity of the university as a whole.

Before that, it was saintly Dean Smith, "The Carolina Way," and "public ivy - until it was all revealed to be one of the biggest frauds in college sports history. No Clemson fan (or any fan of any other university, for that matter) will ever again suffer the sanctimoniousness, smugness, and arrogance that previously prevailed with that university and its alumni and fan base. It also does not hurt that Clemson's football program is now the all around most elite in the country (with clearly higher non-athletic standards than UNC in addition to higher athletic standards), that Clemson is now highly respected as an academic institution, and the state of SC has advanced dramatically in the past 30 years. Charleston and Greenville are better places to live than anywhere in NC now in my opinion (and the opinion of many other folks).

Sep 17, 2020, 6:35 PM [ in reply to Mine comes from spending 25 or so years within 45 minutes ]

Most UNC folks are quite tolerable now, but that is largely because they have been humiliated and humbled as severely as any university, alumni base, and fan base in the country (with the possible exception of SMU and Miami) in the past half century due to their prolonged and very public academic fraud scandal that bled over from athletics to the core academic integrity of the university as a whole.

Before that, it was saintly Dean Smith, "The Carolina Way," and "public ivy - until it was all revealed to be one of the biggest frauds in college sports history. No Clemson fan (or any fan of any other university, for that matter) will ever again suffer the sanctimoniousness, smugness, and arrogance that previously prevailed with that university and its alumni and fan base. It also does not hurt that Clemson's football program is now the all around most elite in the country (with clearly higher non-athletic standards than UNC in addition to higher athletic standards), that Clemson is now highly respected as an academic institution, and the state of SC has advanced dramatically in the past 30 years. Charleston and Greenville are better places to live than anywhere in NC now in my opinion (and the opinion of many other folks).

wow Randy! 13 posts in 17 years!

Sep 17, 2020, 7:03 PM

you should post more often. We could use a little sanity around here.

Sep 17, 2020, 6:17 PM [ in reply to I've never understood how UNC got the reputation on TNET ]

For me, it's been the treatment of opponents' fans over the years. And, of course, Dean Smith and Swoffie also add to the situation. Still, they are better than NCSU fans.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Sep 17, 2020, 6:23 PM

But honestly I just can’t hate on State. But dook??? Different story.

Sep 17, 2020, 6:25 PM [ in reply to Re: I've never understood how UNC got the reputation on TNET ]

I have to ask: what hostile or ill treatment of opponents’ fans are you referring to? UNC is known as a “wine and cheese” crowd. I’ve never seen our home crowds ever verbally or physically abuse opposing fans. NCSU is a different matter altogether.

Opposing fans make fun of our Chardonnay sipping fans so I’m confused.

Sep 17, 2020, 6:43 PM

I would agree with this. And now their fans are some of the more enjoyable. They have never been abusive or overtly obnoxious like NCSU fans, but they were often snide, condescending, and pretentious - until their very public humbling as I note in my post above. Since their prolonged and very public humiliation, I have no issues with them and in fact enjoy them. They are well mannered and in fact quite deferential to Clemson. It does not hurt that they well know we are the bell (and cash) cow largely carrying the entire conference the past half decade.

Sep 17, 2020, 6:45 PM [ in reply to I've never understood how UNC got the reputation on TNET ]

They are not now, but many of them were almost insufferable 2-3 decades back for the reasons in my posts above.

Should it be called a"scrimmage facility" instead of stadium

Sep 17, 2020, 5:28 PM [ in reply to UNC does have a nice stadium ]

since it doesn't have any fans?

Re: I talked with the parent of a UNC athlete the other day

Sep 17, 2020, 12:37 PM

Was in Chapel Hill last year for our game. The stadium is beautiful, all seats are wider and nicer than ours and the campus is very nice as well. I'll take Clemson's gameday atmosphere, fan base and love for the Tigers any day, but their venue is top shelf.

Sep 17, 2020, 12:40 PM

I agree. It’s a beautiful stadium and campus. But yes, Clemson is a much better game day experience. I hope the game day experience will continue to improve.

Sep 17, 2020, 4:05 PM

The hardest thing UNC has to overcome to become a better gameday experience IMHO is the parking situation. The parking on campus quite frankly sucks and you either have to park and tailgate in a parking garage, or take one of the shuttles from off campus parking and then wait for what seem like forever after the game to ride one back, or find one of the few actual parking lots and then walk for what seems like forever. Then once you finally make it back to your spot you have to sit in terrible traffic again. There are a few spots that are decent but not enough to really transform the current gameday experience. And with the hospital and University basically competing for more room to expand I only see this problem getting worse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2020, 4:14 PM

Parking is a challenge given the stadium is surrounded by the campus and trees. No wide open areas surrounding the stadium which inhibits tailgating. You can either tailgate at one of the parking decks or enjoy drinks and food on Franklin Street or at the Carolina Inn and have a picturesque stroll to Kenan.

We like it but recognize it’s not your typical big time football experience.

Sep 17, 2020, 4:46 PM

That’s accurate. We like it but it’s not the typical big time football experience. True statement.
Yes, parking sucks. When I was a student I would pull into the woods by the baseball stadium each day. I made it to my last semester until campus security found me and started writing tickets. Had to pay a small fortune in parking tickets to be able to graduate. Of course those woods are long gone now.

UNC gane was the hottest game I've seen in a long time

Sep 17, 2020, 12:49 PM [ in reply to Re: I talked with the parent of a UNC athlete the other day ]

And so happy the Tigers Won!

GO TIGERS KICK DAT DOG!

Chapel Hill one of my fav venues (Dad attended 1 yr) with beautiful campus..

Sep 17, 2020, 1:09 PM

Franklin main street being blocks long with cute restaurants, a planetarium, churches, shops, etc..

and campus being one of the earliest in U.S. (100 yrs older than Clemson) has not only great traditional architecture but modern buildings so much prettier & better designed than Clemson’s.

Stadium is sweet right in middle of campus with a running track around playing field that you can walk on (keep moving though) before game so to go to other side of stadium, if you’d like.

Oh, as in 2019 game the Orange clothing of Clemson’s fans stands out beautifully against that fabled Baby Blue.

And, Chapel Hill is in ORANGE County!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Chapel Hill one of my fav venues (Dad attended 1 yr) with beautiful campus..

Sep 17, 2020, 1:24 PM

Very kind words. I also like the old buildings. It’s actually the oldest state university. 1796

Re: Chapel Hill one of my fav venues (Dad attended 1 yr) with beautiful campus..

Sep 17, 2020, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Chapel Hill one of my fav venues (Dad attended 1 yr) with beautiful campus.. ]

What makes a restaurant "cute"? Are there any "cute" restaurants in Clemson, Easley, Anderson, or Greenville that are comparable to the ones in CH? I think I'd rather have a review of the cuisine than whatever"cute" is to determine whether I want to eat there?

Sep 17, 2020, 9:51 PM

Is the Black Angus restaurant in Raleigh cute? That's my type of restaurant.

Sep 18, 2020, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Chapel Hill one of my fav venues (Dad attended 1 yr) with beautiful campus.. ]

Who could forget the sticky floors in Trolls?

Worse than the back room at TTT on it's worst day

Sep 17, 2020, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Re: I talked with the parent of a UNC athlete the other day ]

Last year was just so freaking hot. I liked their idea of the free ice-cold towels in the coolers for personal use, and the refillable water stations.

Sep 17, 2020, 4:58 PM [ in reply to Re: I talked with the parent of a UNC athlete the other day ]

Let the football team finish in the top 10 a few years in a row and see a bigger demand for season tickets and you’ll see those seats get narrower!

Did their child HAVE to go to class at UNCheat ?

Sep 17, 2020, 1:18 PM

Best of All, It's In Orange County...

Sep 17, 2020, 1:21 PM

Billy Goat U, that is ;)

Were they drinking

Sep 17, 2020, 1:32 PM

white Zinfandel and eating brie cheese while wearing Carolina blue and white ascot socks?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2020, 1:34 PM

####, way to make us look even more pretentious than we are already starting to look.

UNC just spent tons on renovations and I'm sure they look great. Their basketball team sells more tickets to one game than we do in 5

UNCheat was dead last in basketball last year ?

Sep 17, 2020, 2:15 PM

Re: UNCheat was dead last in basketball last year ?

Sep 17, 2020, 2:28 PM

True but what’s your point?

Just a reminder....UNCheat was dead last in basketball

Sep 18, 2020, 7:55 AM

2019-2020

+1 for not trying to say UNC "Student" Athlete. I always

Sep 17, 2020, 6:03 PM

appreciate honesty in a poaster. (And a toaster, but that's another burnt piece of bread altogether.)

Sep 17, 2020, 11:21 PM

Should have asked them how their kid’s “studies” are going. ??

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic