Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Watching these idgets on the CMAs.... The Possum was right...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Watching these idgets on the CMAs.... The Possum was right...

Nov 13, 2019, 10:35 PM

https://youtu.be/l7GPmsYmEso

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watching these idgets on the CMAs.... The Possum was right...

Nov 13, 2019, 11:13 PM

Hard to believe he's been gone 30 years. I remember when he died

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember it very well

Nov 14, 2019, 5:06 PM

I was on a C-130 headed to Bangor Maine when I heard the news. Sad day for me.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 11:16 PM

You do know "The Possum" was George Jones don't ya?:)

I was expecting the link to go to "Who's gonna fill their shoes?"

Cause there sure ain't nobody filling anybody's shoes in that genre! Closest I've heard has been Jamey Johnson. He's the only one who knows what a Steel Guitar is anymore. Keith Whitley knew, and as your link showed he also knew how to apply it.

Great song Thanks,
ST

Nov 14, 2019, 6:15 AM

Tyler Childers is blowing up. Sells out everywhere he plays and opening for Sturgill. That’s going to be a hell of a show.

Karl Childers had some good hits as well***

Nov 14, 2019, 7:24 AM

Re: Karl Childers had some good hits as well***

Nov 14, 2019, 4:56 PM

No steel guitar but boy could sling a blade.

Ehmmm hehmmm***

Nov 14, 2019, 6:33 PM

Nov 14, 2019, 8:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Watching these idgets on the CMAs.... The Possum was right... ]

Have you heard Sturgill’s new album? Hardly classic country.

Nov 14, 2019, 7:35 PM

Not country at all. It’s a rock album.

Nov 14, 2019, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Watching these idgets on the CMAs.... The Possum was right... ]

David Childers is pretty old time

Nov 14, 2019, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Watching these idgets on the CMAs.... The Possum was right... ]

Today's "country music" is NOT country by any stretch of the imagination. George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Conway Twitty, Johnny Cash, Tammy Wynette, Patsy Cline, etc, etc, etc must be spinning in their graves. Sad to see the shape Loretta Lynn and Willie Nelson are in. She looked like she had no clue where she was or what was going on, and he was fighting to draw a breath but still in there scrapping. I doubt that either of them will still be with us by next year's show.

Message was edited by: gatigerbc®

Nov 14, 2019, 4:31 PM

I did not watch the CMAs last night. Award shows are awful and most of what was nominated is garbage. With that being said, the problem is country music is forever changing. Remember at one time Willie and Waylon were “not country”. I think most of today’s country is terrible but not all of it. Midland, Chris Stapleton, Jamey Johnson put out our a lot of country songs. One of the best is Lee Ann Womack. Take a listen to her “There’s More Where That Came From” album. Pure country from beginning to end.

Nov 14, 2019, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Watching these idgets on the CMAs.... The Possum was right... ]

Colter Wall has some pretty good stuff if your into old Western/Cowboy country.

Nov 14, 2019, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Watching these idgets on the CMAs.... The Possum was right... ]

Thanks. I thought for a minute I had gone crazy. Line you, I fully expected "Whos gonna filk their shoes?".

Thats what i was going to post but KW popped up in my feed. I just went with it***

Nov 14, 2019, 6:34 PM

Yep, I know that. My first concert was when I guess I was around 9 or 10

Nov 14, 2019, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Watching these idgets on the CMAs.... The Possum was right... ]

To see George Jones and Conway Twitty at Greenville Memorial Auditorium. GJ didnt show, so they had Vern Gosdin fill in for him. I posted the KW vid because its a great country song...

Re: Yep, I know that. My first concert was when I guess I was around 9 or 10

Nov 14, 2019, 4:57 PM

I saw George, Conway and Merle at the Memorial Auditorium around 1990. George came on first and was sober and excellent...Conway was second and also good... but Merle was left backstage too long with too much idle time; he was blasted by the time he reached the stage. His Million-Dollar Band was excellent, though, and saved the day.
All in all a great show.

Re: Yep, I know that. My first concert was when I guess I was around 9 or 10

Nov 14, 2019, 7:03 PM

bassdogmwp said:

I saw George, Conway and Merle at the Memorial Auditorium around 1990. George came on first and was sober and excellent...Conway was second and also good... but Merle was left backstage too long with too much idle time; he was blasted by the time he reached the stage. His Million-Dollar Band was excellent, though, and saved the day.
All in all a great show.

Saw George Jones at the Chesapeake Jubilee in Chesapeake, VA in ‘93. The MC introduced him to the stage, “Yes folks, he IS here !”

Saw Merle twice in one day, 4th of July, 1986 at the Del Mar County Fair, Del Mar, CA. He had a 2:00 PM show and. 7:00 PM show. He was completed blasted for the afternoon show and even turned up a bottle of George Dickel on stage. They had him sobered up for the evening event. Fittingly, the final encore for the evening show was “Fighting Side of Me” as fireworks went off in the background.

Alan Jackson had it right as well - "Murder on Music Row".

Nov 14, 2019, 8:05 AM

There is no country in Country Music anymore. In my mind, to be country it needs to have at least two of these three - a country voice, a country theme (as so eloquently described by David Allen Coe), and fiddle/steel guitar. I didn't hear much of this last night.

Re: Alan Jackson had it right as well - "Murder on Music Row".

Nov 14, 2019, 9:01 AM

No more Alans and George Strait's out there right now.

Nov 14, 2019, 7:22 PM [ in reply to Alan Jackson had it right as well - "Murder on Music Row". ]

The reason we have no more country music is the same reason we have no more genuine R&B. I would include the death of rock and roll but it was killed by a different means.

Hip Hop has influenced a couple of generations now and hip hop (cRAP) is devoid of artistical merit. No one even plays instruments anymore.......not even a drum kit. It’s all electronic beats. It sounds machined and it sucks. But that’s all our kids and grandkids know. They don’t know any better. Even todays country artist are more a product of hip hop than country. I like to call it hick-hop.

I remember the first time I heard Jason Aldean’s “Dirt Road Anthem” and that rap chorus. I couldn’t believe hip hop had invaded country music. But I knew it would only get worse.

In 2002 the wife and I chaperoned a middle school dance and we were peering into a gym watching these kids. Not a one of them had any idea they should attempt to move their bodies in some rhythmic fashion to the music. Then again the music wasn’t much more than a monotone beat anyway. They huddled at center court, about 50 of them and just began to jump up and down.

The wife and I were bewildered. That’s all their generation knew of dancing. It was truly pathetic.

Nov 14, 2019, 7:42 PM

I learned to dance in the Southern California honky-tones. Met my wife in one such place in Poway, CA.. I taught both my girls to two-step, waltz and swing.

We were out at Ozzie’s Country Idland in West Columbia. It’s really a college kid hang out but none of them know how to move to the music unless it’s a line dance.

So I’m dancing with my youngest, Jackie and I drove her over to a corner where there was a pile Of sawdust. We purposely slick up our soles and there happened to be a couple of college aged girls sitting right there at the rail.

We’re spinning and turning, changing direction a lot, all perfectly synced and gliding all over the floor to the music. I said, “Jackie you know those girls are studying your feet, don’t you?” She said, “Yep, I noticed.”

Later those two girls had their dates out on the floor trying to learn.

Nov 14, 2019, 7:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Alan Jackson had it right as well - "Murder on Music Row". ]

I learned to dance in the Southern California honky-tones. Met my wife in one such place in Poway, CA.. I taught both my girls to two-step, waltz and swing.

We were out at Ozzie’s Country Idland in West Columbia. It’s really a college kid hang out but none of them know how to move to the music unless it’s a line dance.

So I’m dancing with my youngest, Jackie and I drove her over to a corner where there was a pile Of sawdust. We purposely slick up our soles and there happened to be a couple of college aged girls sitting right there at the rail.

We’re spinning and turning, changing direction a lot, all perfectly synced and gliding all over the floor to the music. I said, “Jackie you know those girls are studying your feet, don’t you?” She said, “Yep, I noticed.”

Later those two girls had their dates out on the floor trying to learn.

Hick-hop!! That pretty well sums it up.***

Nov 14, 2019, 9:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Alan Jackson had it right as well - "Murder on Music Row". ]

yep!

Nov 14, 2019, 11:12 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QTJppAa-Rg

When Carrie Underwood has performed AND WRITTEN

Nov 14, 2019, 3:20 PM

half as many hit songs as Garth Brooks, then she might have a reason to be upset.

(And I'm not even a big Garth Brooks fan.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Theyve killed country music....

Nov 14, 2019, 7:29 PM

...it’s sickening. The me too all women presenters of the show is blatant pandering and shameful. Wish they wouldn’t ruin everything.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, they didn't kill it, but the genre has changed over the last 15 years or so. Real country

Nov 14, 2019, 8:55 PM

Is now called "Outlaw or Alternative" country, but still isn't the country we grew up listening to. I like some of it. New country is kinda like a 80s soft rock/pop hybrid.

Well, they didn't kill it, but the genre has changed over the last 15 years or so. Real country

Nov 14, 2019, 8:57 PM [ in reply to Theyve killed country music.... ]

Is now called "Outlaw or Alternative" country, but still isn't the country we grew up listening to. I like some of it. New country is kinda like a 80s soft rock/pop hybrid.

from brooks and dunn

Nov 14, 2019, 9:25 PM

to the hipster ###### bros florida georgia line

Nov 14, 2019, 9:31 PM

Every genre of music changes over time. Maybe you could learn to appreciate music now as many of the ones listening to and making today's music appreciate the music of old.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic