Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
KJ McDaniels...and some perspective (Long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

KJ McDaniels...and some perspective (Long)

Nov 21, 2014, 5:29 PM

I love the kid to death and enjoy what he did for us as a program.

That being said, I think he did himself, as well as his teammates, a disservice by leaving early. Last season and the year before were night and day due to free throw shooting, defense, team basketball, and the emergence of a star. We started winning the games that we would normally give away under Booker & Jennings. The deep NIT run was a huge momentum point for the team, and we could have built off of it in the off-season. We even could have been a trendy pic to win the ACC under a future lottery pick and a cast of experienced veterans and young talent.

Instead, we are back to square one....a good scheme lacking true star-power and leadership. McDaniels was our go-to scoring threat as well as the best defender in the league. This team was built around him, and now there is a KJ-sized hole on both sides of the ball. Until we find a new identity and figure out new ways to win, we will be stuck struggling against teams we should beat.

KJ abandoned this team that needed him, and he cut himself short of his potential. We all knew that he had the talent to be successful in the NBA, but not everybody else saw him every game. He would no-doubt be on preseason All ACC and NCAA lists, and would be watched heavily during his senior year. This would have been great for Clemson, as the team lost literally nobody from the supporting cast and seemed poised to make an ACC run. We would have been ranked preseason for sure, and finally get some much-needed recognition (and more importantly, fan and student support) for the basketball program.

Instead, both sides are left wondering what could have been...KJ's minutes dwindle while his team remains winless...He publicly voices frustration with his playing time while his buddies joke that a college team could beat them....meanwhile, Clemson is off blowing games late against inferior (way inferior) competition a la the Milton Jennings years.

Bottom line...I love KJ and I know he will have a successful career as a pro. It seems pretty obvious, however, that the results aren't what he expected. The 76'ers staff has publicly stated that his decreasing PT is a result of being "unpolished" in certain areas such as ball skills and passing. A stellar, All ACC, highlight reel dunk/block-filled senior season would have made him a lottery pick, and given Clemson an image change. Maybe even a run at a tourney championship.

The recent Tweets by his mom make it pretty clear that she most likely steered him in that direction...she was ready to cash in and get that paycheck and celebrity status. Sad

Not necessarily meant to "doom and gloom".....its still early in the season. Maybe after a few games we can find some rhythm and get it together. I'd rather lost these now than later on in conference play

Message was edited by: CU2013®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You just summed up ALL of college basketball today

Nov 21, 2014, 5:35 PM

I'm glad I'm lucky enough to remember when all college basketball players stayed 4 years. It was great watching the Ralph Sampsons & Patrick Ewings of the world in the college game.

College & pro were better games back then. Not saying the players of today aren't better but watching the game & getting to know players who were better developed sure was.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I blame nba expansion

Nov 21, 2014, 5:54 PM

Eliminate some bad nba franchises and we could get closer to that.

I agree

Nov 21, 2014, 5:55 PM [ in reply to You just summed up ALL of college basketball today ]

its all about the $$$$$. Shame, bad for both college and NBA

100% agree....

Nov 22, 2014, 7:31 AM [ in reply to You just summed up ALL of college basketball today ]

The 80's, IMO, were by FAR the best decade for CBB from a fan perspective.

You got to see these guys - almost all of them - stay for an entire college career.

There were some epic showdowns in between '83 and '89.

I was a fierce apologist

Nov 21, 2014, 8:11 PM

for his staying, to no avail. Your thoughts sum up what I was saying before he left. I thought it was a big mistake for him to leave. Just today his NBA coach said almost word for word what many have said: "he can catch the ball and shoot it, but needs much work on ball handling and passing." This was well known and no surprise when he left Clemson. I was disappointed to see him leave. While it's great to be an elite shot blocker, and I love this talent, there is so much more to the game than that. He could have honed his skills here and we could have had a good team and contended this year.

you and me both!***

Nov 22, 2014, 12:21 AM

Agree - long run Lose Lose outcome.

Nov 22, 2014, 7:15 AM

He is making Euro league money now $500k. One more year and he may have gone much higher, with the $$ that go with it, and Tigers would likely be 3-0.

Good points.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: KJ McDaniels...and some perspective (Long)

Nov 22, 2014, 10:01 AM

He made the smartest biz decision for him and his future. He was our leader for how many categories and was only one in nation to do it. He left at his highest peak.

If he was an accounting or engineering or IT student... We would applaud his timing.

Wish he was here bc this team needs a leader.

Would an IT, accounting or engineering student leave

Nov 22, 2014, 12:43 PM

without a degree? Would they leave without the skills they needed at the next level? That's what KJ did

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: KJ McDaniels...and some perspective (Long)

Nov 22, 2014, 10:16 AM

Please! What a joke this thread is. He abandoned his teammates? What inspires some of that thinking I read on here? It seems that anyone that has a chance to leave early, and secure their financial future often for generations, somehow spit in Clemson's face because he deprived the fans of having a better team if he stayed. He owes you, his teammates, nor Clemson, anything. What if he comes back and gets hurt? Then suddenly he isnt a lottery pick, and becomes the latest tragic figure who threw away millions because he came back to school. Only a fool would do that.

I think you're missing the point...

Nov 22, 2014, 11:54 AM

Did he REALLY make the best business decision for himself, considering he could have been a lottery pick if he had stayed another year? It's not like he or his family was going to starve to death if he didn't bolt immediately...

Re: I think you're missing the point...

Nov 22, 2014, 12:49 PM

He will resign next year and should get lottery type figures. Plus the extra 500k he is earning this year. He scored 17 last night in addition to being a defensive threat. Staying here would do nothing for him, he needs to prove himself on the next level. He did the right thing in my opinion, and will be just fine.

Don't put this on KJ, put it on CLEMSON

Nov 22, 2014, 10:55 AM

and the university.

I understand you're not going lure coaches from Kansas, NC, UConn etc...

But, what you do is lure coaches who can recruit, coach, develop players, teach, mentor.
And preferably, a coach that is more offensive minded.
How many 50-55 type games are you going win? Not many, I'm sure.

This is just my opinion, but many times, during games. Brownell just looks lost on the
side lines.
I'm sorry...ok,ok...this is a forum....just another opinion.

Wow...not related to this thread at all...This isn't another

Nov 22, 2014, 12:41 PM

"Is Brownell..." thread

Meaning....

Nov 22, 2014, 1:08 PM

team team's problem's aren't McDaniels.

that goes back to coaching, and the University.

there you go little buddy.

Don't whine about development when he left prematurely. He

Nov 23, 2014, 2:06 AM

certainly wasn't an NBA draft pick when he got here guy.That should be fairly obvious.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic