Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
KB Decision
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

KB Decision

Sep 25, 2018, 2:36 PM

Clemson fans, This QB decision is an announcement of where Dabo wants to take the program. We have Bama in our sights. If we want to get there this had to be done. This move will guarantee that future 5 stars will give Clemson a seriously look. It sends a message that Clemson is building for the long haul. This is what we all wanted. Enjoy the ride. I see 8-10 in a row over the Coots. I feel bad for KB but he had his Shot! We need him as a very good backup. TL arm talent is undeniable. We need it to compete on a national plane for next 2-3 years. We are looking for TL,s eventual replacement right now. Clemson football, coming to a championship game near you! I don’t know about most of you but I’ve been waiting a long long time for this. Enjoy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: KB Decision

Sep 25, 2018, 2:43 PM

yeah, because until now it wasn't clear whether Dabo was trying to win national championships???

We didn't recruit a guy with TL's 5-star talent........

Sep 25, 2018, 2:47 PM

to sit on the bench. It shouldn't be a surprise that if TL is as good as predicted that he would assume the starting job.

He's shown through 4 games that he's stronger than KB. Nothing personal meant - it's just a fact.

Re: We didn't recruit a guy with TL's 5-star talent........

Sep 25, 2018, 10:42 PM

If TL can't wait his turn, he's not a team player. It's 1 year. How many did KB wait behind DW?

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Sep 25, 2018, 10:47 PM

Imagine what would happen to recruiting if you had to wait your turn regardless of talent and execution..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 10:53 PM

Is that worth destroying team chemistry?

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Sep 25, 2018, 11:01 PM [ in reply to Re: We didn't recruit a guy with TL's 5-star talent........ ]

You're kidding right? You're one of those guys that thinks everyone gets a tropy?

He already knew where he wanted to take the program.

Sep 25, 2018, 2:48 PM

This had zero to do with that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. On a tangent, this will be a test of team unity.

Sep 25, 2018, 3:08 PM

I expect us to pass it wonderfully, but Dabo spoke honestly about an emotional meeting. Those emotions could have been anything, but anger had to be one of them. My guess (purely a guess) is that part of KB's appeal with the team is the fact that he isn't perfect, he knows he isn't perfect, and he went out there and won games anyway, and did so when things looked dicey, like at Auburn and TAMU. The guy is a gamer. He is the example of what to be.

How will the team react to seeing a loved leader, one who did everything asked of him, lose his spot? There are a hundred reasons why this is a lesson that work is its own reward and that life is not football, and that KB's status in Dabo's eyes remains untouched, but that is a very high order perspective, easily overshadowed by emotion.

Or was this, as some posters have said, simply the classy route? If it is likely that TL could overtake KB at some point this season, is it not best to have KB face that now rather than later? Will the team see it that way?

We'll find out Saturday. I expect the attitude and unity it to be fine, but it will need to be. If Dabo can sell this to the team, he is an incredible leader. Which of course he is.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's exactly why Dabo did things the way he did - wanted..

Sep 25, 2018, 3:15 PM

the competition on the field to show who's stronger (which it has now after 4 games).

He said all along that it was not going to be a personal preference or "popularity" decision. He didn't/doesn't want a divided team - that why he wants the players themselves to see who the stronger QB for the team is.

I think he's handled this extremely well. He doesn't have anything to "justify" to anyone.

Agree. I was not questioning Dabo. I was just recognizing

Sep 25, 2018, 3:57 PM

that things like this can affect chemstry in a big way, on both sides of the ball. I don't expect it to be an issue here, but was just discussing the idea that it can be.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, still think I'm off base in thinking team unity might

Sep 25, 2018, 10:31 PM [ in reply to That's exactly why Dabo did things the way he did - wanted.. ]

be an issue?

Re: Agree. On a tangent, this will be a test of team unity.

Sep 25, 2018, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Agree. On a tangent, this will be a test of team unity. ]

KB didn’t win at Auburn. That was Deshaun. He did however, win at Louisville and Va Tech and NC State.

Right. Got the location wrong. But that was a serious man up

Sep 25, 2018, 4:03 PM

monent for him.

Some here seem to think I am questioning Dabo. Not true at all. Gotta do what reality says do. Just recognizing that this will be as hard for some others on the team as it was for KB. They would not be human if that were not the case. Rising above that is a test.

Sep 25, 2018, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Agree. On a tangent, this will be a test of team unity. ]

And Miami.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Agree. On a tangent, this will be a test of team unity. ]

Kids that have played on teams have started, not started, changed positions, been injured etc all through their careers. I am sure KB will use this as a opportunity to see what he wants to do at this crossroads. Play QB, work out for another position, give up playing, BUT these are decisions all athletes make everyday. The season isn't over and he can help the team win a national championship, which isn't a goal, but a by product of winning.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 3:42 PM

One other thing...Strange he started last year when he probably should not have started and this year he doesn't start.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Almost all the players are smart enough to look at the

Sep 25, 2018, 8:31 PM [ in reply to Agree. On a tangent, this will be a test of team unity. ]

results. I think we’re okay there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He already knew where he wanted to take the program.

Sep 25, 2018, 4:26 PM [ in reply to He already knew where he wanted to take the program. ]

It’s Reflective of what we all knew

You really seem to enjoy disagreeing with people.

Sep 25, 2018, 10:34 PM [ in reply to He already knew where he wanted to take the program. ]

I don't think the OP was saying that Dabo's goals for the program changed, but rather, that making Trevor the starter was a necessary step in reaching our goals this year and in years to come. I agree with that.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Sep 25, 2018, 4:41 PM

When one is the CEO, it's decisions like this they must make every day. It's not an easy task to tell someone who has done a good job in the past that he has been passed by someone else. There is competition on the practice field every day and every game. There is movement throughout the team but we are more aware and fixated on the glamour positions such as QB, RB and our kickers.

KB is in the position now where he can show his true mettle. He can fold his tent and pout and create friction in the team, or, he can accept the fact and show he supports the decision 110% and do what ever is necessary to keep this team focused on being the national champion.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

KB got his doors blown off by TL

Sep 25, 2018, 8:29 PM

if he could have stayed w/in 14 points(figuratively speaking)of TL; the coached staff probably would have kept him w/ the 1's; stunting TL's development & stifling offensive output.

Sep 25, 2018, 10:50 PM

Alabama may make the playoff , may not . At this point it'sabout making Clemson the best football team that Clemson can be . I don't think for one second that Dabo Swinney is losing sleep over the " grande specter"of Alabama possibly awaiting us down the road .
I bet he's focused on Syracuse ... who are also 4-0 BTW .

DB23

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic