Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Zion made a mistake
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Zion made a mistake

Feb 1, 2018, 2:12 PM

To be clear, I support Clemson Basketball and Coach Brownell. When I saw last week that Zion made his announcement and decided on Duke, now this week EJ Montgomery will be visiting Duke as well. To both, there is no better place than Clemson.

But the reverse of is also true, there is almost no worse place for a Basketball Player now than Duke. Duke plays 5 guys, that is it. That has been Coach K idea for a long time. If you do not make his starting 5 your freshman year, odds are you will sit the bench or transfer to another school. He does not develop those players. That than means the other 9 players are there to help the five in practice. Each year Duke does the one better than Kentucky. The other players on the bench are good players, all highly recruited. But if Coach K does not like you, sit you will. Right now he starts 4 freshman and one senior.

That may be the way for some programs, but every players hits bumps in the road, some develop later, if any of that happens to you at Duke, better transfer now. They talk about family, but unlike Clemson, it mostly words.

It is Zion and EJ choice and I wish them the best. But bumps in the road will happen, it just better not happen the first 6 months at Duke, if it dZoe's, you will be sitting the pine.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, yes he did.

Feb 1, 2018, 2:17 PM

I hope he never has to realize just how big a mistake he made.

Cursory view...

Feb 1, 2018, 2:32 PM

it appears minutes through the rosters are nigh identical.

Yours is probably a similar negative recruiting that some poorer football programs sell to more valued recruits in lieu of possible redshirts & bumps in the road associated with the depth of Clemson and other Duke blue-blood football programs?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

?

Feb 1, 2018, 2:41 PM

What in the world is going on here.

Re: Cursory view...

Feb 1, 2018, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Cursory view... ]

Look at Mike Buckmire though. Pretty sure Mike Buckmire was planning on being a one-and-done also until he encountered the wrath of Coach K! He's being treated like the red-headed step-brother of the brotherhood. :)

(Disclaimer - I have no idea who Mike Buckmire is)

And Shaq Smith would have started at many schools...

Feb 1, 2018, 2:54 PM

we could go on?

;)

It's hilarious watching folks try to demean Duke and their basketball program.

Stay the course[no matter the HC], get better and give the Zions more reason to pick Clemson 1 out of 5 times, and then maybe more?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You make a great point ...

Feb 1, 2018, 10:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Cursory view... ]

Not sure exactly what it is but still appreciate your translucency ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You make a great point ...

Feb 2, 2018, 9:29 AM

I'm just trying to match the same translucency as the majority of the posts on this board! ;) Am I doing it right?

You done gud.***

Feb 2, 2018, 9:38 AM

Re: Cursory view...

Feb 1, 2018, 3:04 PM [ in reply to Cursory view... ]

After watching Duke play UVA, and reading his comments about only playing his starters in the second half. I went back four years looking at player development, players who worked there way onto the starting five. Rarely if at all happens at Duke.

Please watch the Clemson game against Miami and UNC, and you will see several players in there for some good minutes in important games. Go back and pull the box scores and the Minutes for those games, and look at starters vs bench. Rather than pull for entire season where everyone plays several soft targets early in the season.

It's not for the faint of heart, no doubt, but because

Feb 1, 2018, 3:13 PM

some might not earn their way, doesn't make it a poor choice.

Highly touted JT transferred earlier in the year, you think ZW is immune to that? No, he's not. Yours is the same absurdity SCU and lesser programs try to sell XT and many others when talking about early PT and longevity.

Sorry, I don't want a player that would shy away from a challenge because a depth chart scares them. It's the very reason Clemson and others continue to recruit at a high level in football. Dear lord the path is much easier at Wake.

There's no secrets, he's not daft, in fact listening to the young man speak makes me believe he knows far more what he needs and wants than most here seem to want to give him credit.

Good luck to him. Duke is Duke, among the best in the land.

Re: Zion made a mistake

Feb 1, 2018, 2:32 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Where do they find you people?***

Feb 1, 2018, 2:39 PM

Seriously, this anti-Zionism must stop!***

Feb 1, 2018, 3:19 PM

Re: He's correct...

Feb 1, 2018, 2:58 PM

In Saturday's game against Virginia the starters payed every minute of the second half, and 194 of the 200 minutes in the game. Two other guys got 3 minutes each. And it gets worse as the season goes along. If Zion makes the starting five, he's golden. If he doesn't, he's screwed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You realize Javin DeLaurier and Marques Bolden have been

Feb 1, 2018, 3:04 PM

battling injuries, correct? Both would have likely played substantial minutes if 100% (DeLaurier played a couple of minutes against UVa).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Same as the SEC teams signing all these football recruits

Feb 1, 2018, 7:09 PM [ in reply to Re: He's correct... ]

and everybody thinking they won’t be the ones on the outside looking in.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Zion made a mistake***

Feb 1, 2018, 2:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd...***

Feb 1, 2018, 3:00 PM

Feb 1, 2018, 3:27 PM

He who lives in glass houses should not cast the first stone.

Feb 1, 2018, 5:23 PM

Just my take, I don't expect everyone to agree. It's just my opinion.
But I think Zion wants to win, and win at a High level. Not just making
a half hearted run at getting a NCAA bid. Zion wants to win right away.
He's so use to getting a ton of attention, and he probably felt that was
in jeopardy at Clemson. Then there's the NBA. Most folks think he's a 1
and done player. But even if he does play a couple years in college, he
probably didn't see that path through Clemson University. I believe in his
mind, there was probably way too much pressure on him to change the culture
here. He just didn't seem ready for that.
After his commitment, one analyst said....
"At Clemson, every time he came down the court. He would keep facing dbl teams
& teams would focuse on shutting him down. He wouldn't see that at Duke."

Look, he's been a Duke fan for some time- at least that's what I thought for nearly
6 months. I was never really surprised by his choice, although it was easy to
fall into the trap of thinking we had a chance.

The "analyst" who suggested that Zion would be

Feb 1, 2018, 7:02 PM

the center of attention on every possession at Clemson is underestimating the players we have. The notion that he would have an easier time being successful at Duke, but not at Clemson, is ludicrous. We may not have a team full of five star players, but we certainly have plenty who command the attention of the other team's defense. If another team wanted to double Zion all game, then Mitchell, Reed, etc. will make them pay with wide open threes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Zion will be starting for Duke next year.

Feb 1, 2018, 7:16 PM

If he is not good enough he will start the next year before he goes pro. He is either one and done or two and done and made a great choice.

Feb 2, 2018, 9:43 AM

You could well be right. He definitely would have had all the benefits Clemson could provide and be a standout. Now he has to hope coach K sees him as special or he may well be a number in the lineup.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

Just think about the number of responses to this HOT TAKE

Feb 2, 2018, 10:02 AM

If this was posted in the BASKETBALL section and not the B A S E B A L L section.

sorry....had to do it.

Re: Just think about the number of responses to this HOT TAKE

Feb 2, 2018, 1:49 PM

Glad someone said it!

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic