Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Swinney talks about cost of attendance legislation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

FB Update: Swinney talks about cost of attendance legislation

May 14, 2015, 10:38 AM

Swinney talks about cost of attendance legislation

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How is BC's cost of attendance so low?

May 14, 2015, 10:42 AM

Everything is so expensive in Boston (rent, food, gas) I'd figure it would be higher than most.

Well, the one thing specifically mentioned in the article

May 14, 2015, 10:54 AM

is "cost to return home". Maybe BC's student population lives, on average, closer to home.

Re: Well, the one thing specifically mentioned in the article

May 14, 2015, 11:00 AM

If a Clemson player lived in Greenville, will he be paid less than a recruit from Miami?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, there is a standard number for all students.

May 14, 2015, 11:02 AM

The number is reported to the federal government every year. (I don't know why.)

Doubt it. They are a national Catholic University.***

May 14, 2015, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Well, the one thing specifically mentioned in the article ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just spitballin'.***

May 14, 2015, 11:02 AM

So you're saying

May 14, 2015, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Well, the one thing specifically mentioned in the article ]

Clemson should up its number of international students?

Re: How is BC's cost of attendance so low?

May 14, 2015, 1:28 PM [ in reply to How is BC's cost of attendance so low? ]

It is beneficial to keep miscellaneous funds low at schools with high tuition. Cuts down on overall cost to attend. Generally you will see schools with higher cost having a lower miscellaneous amount added to the COA. The amount is on regulated to the extent it is checked by the government to insure listed items are reasonable. If you don't list it you do not have to pay for it.

null

That makes a lot of sense.***

May 14, 2015, 1:31 PM

Re: FB Update: Swinney talks about cost of attendance legislation

May 14, 2015, 11:05 AM

I think the cost of attendance numbers are easily manipulated and if any amount is legislated, it should be the same for all schools. Otherwise, the numbers will start rising and before long it will be 10K for some schools. Recruits will be looking at where they can get the most money and then we have professional football at the college level.

Re: FB Update: Swinney talks about cost of attendance legislation

May 14, 2015, 12:43 PM

Part of the problem with one set amount is the threat of anti-trust actions. Seems that is far fetched to me, but apparently that is a concern.

How the heck does it cost more to attend a college in

May 14, 2015, 11:12 AM

Starkville, MS or Auburn, AL than in Los Angeles or Boston??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

$EC, $EC, $EC!***

May 14, 2015, 11:13 AM

The cost of attendance has nothing to do with

May 14, 2015, 11:20 AM

athletics. There would have been no reason for schools to report a high number for some athletic reason. Maybe you think the schools all of a sudden raised the # specifically this year, thinking that it may give them an advantage. I would think that would be pretty noticeable and someone would raise a stink.

I see pretty clear reasons to raise the number

May 14, 2015, 11:44 AM

Having $2000 extra cash to offer a student per year is significant if the expense difference is fudged. The schools have to provide figures and some would stretch the limits more than others and still hold up under court (which doesn't mean it's legitimate). And those schools are obviously Tennessee ($5,666), Auburn ($5,586) and Mississippi State ($5,126)

It would be interesting

May 14, 2015, 11:45 AM [ in reply to The cost of attendance has nothing to do with ]

to see what Auburn, Louisville, et. al were publishing as their Cost of Attendance figure 5 years ago, before the talk about using the measure as a way to reimburse athletes started gaining traction.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's logical.... Unfortunately, that's not the methodology***

May 14, 2015, 2:09 PM

I think it has something to do with the school being

May 14, 2015, 11:18 AM [ in reply to How the heck does it cost more to attend a college in ]

isolated. The schools with a big number tend to be small towns, where the school is the only thing. BC, in the big city, has the lowest #.

I don't know specifically what it is, but there seems to be a correlation there.

Maybe so, but you'd figure that the majority of Auburn and

May 14, 2015, 11:22 AM

Miss State students are from a 4-5 hour radius, while BC students are from all over the nation -- and even from foreign countries.

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Maybe their students tend to stick around during

May 14, 2015, 11:24 AM

the summer. I dunno. It's pretty interesting.

Re: Maybe their students tend to stick around during

May 14, 2015, 1:23 PM

You are confusing the COA with the miscellaneous funds that were added to the COA. The tuition to these institutions is already so when providing full ride scholarships they are required to include the COA. If they increase the miscellaneous funds then the number goes up for the school, state, and federal government providing these scholarships. Obviously this is not a big deal to schools with low tuition like Ms. St. and Auburn, but could be a huge difference for ND and BC.

null

That very well could be the answer.

May 14, 2015, 1:30 PM

The lower the school's tuition, the higher they can make their COA without it being a bigger deterrent.

Re: I think it has something to do with the school being

May 14, 2015, 11:42 AM [ in reply to I think it has something to do with the school being ]

Well, Clemson certainly is a small isolated town (albeit with the most beautiful campus in the nation), so why would Auburn's cost of attendance be so much higher?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think it has something to do with the school being

May 14, 2015, 1:34 PM

I think this is where you are seeing the biggest discrepancy. The high cost institutions make a choice to decrease miscellaneous money that goes to COA. Two schools like Auburn and Clemson should be very comparable but they are not. Would be interesting to see if Auburn has jumped up in the last couple years in preparation.

null

Seems like cost of attendance is a terrible measure for this

May 14, 2015, 11:43 AM

Cost of Attendance seems to be something that is arbitrarily published by the admissions office, and can be pretty much whatever they want it to be. If they're going to pay athletes additional money on top of their scholarship, this doesn't look like the right figure to use, unless there's a whole lot more rigor that goes into calculating it than I'm aware of.

I think the best thing to do is pick a single $ amount that all schools can use. Schools don't necessarily have to match that amount, but cannot exceed it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does the legislation include every...

May 14, 2015, 12:30 PM

student athlete in every sport?
Go Tigers!!

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic