Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
At church yesterday
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 78
| visibility 1

At church yesterday

Feb 4, 2019, 9:30 AM

our middle school minister gave the sermon. He is a UofSC grad. He actually gave a great sermon and was really good.

But, he mentioned Clemson three times during his sermon - and not in complementary ways. I wanted to say something to him after the service but decided to "turn the other cheek" and let it go.

I guess he used his time in the pulpit as some kind of therapy to get his anger out about our success and his Lamecocks lack of success.

Was this the best way for me to react or should I have said something? I have the confuse and I am torn about it. I never start the trash talk but find it hard not to respond when someone else starts it.....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At church yesterday

Feb 4, 2019, 9:34 AM

Say something without making s scene. Pull him to the side and inform him that he is on GODS time. He is only to teach about Christ. That needs to be taken seriously.

Feb 4, 2019, 10:10 AM

Gets it^^^

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did he do it in a humorous manner?***

Feb 4, 2019, 9:35 AM

Re: Did he do it in a humorous manner?***

Feb 4, 2019, 9:56 AM

He tried to. But with humor like that there is always some truth that the speaker is trying to get across. He was letting his disdain for our Tigers come out - and trying to use humor to disguise it.

Shoulda Yelled "BLASPHEMY" and struck him down

Feb 4, 2019, 9:36 AM

Gotta put em in their place young

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Morbid, you let me down!!! . . .

Feb 4, 2019, 10:20 AM

I just knew you were going to call for an old fashion "Stoning"!!!

You're getting soft as you age . . .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like with anyone else who are trying to correct

Feb 4, 2019, 9:43 AM

Say several very complimentary things to him about what he said, and then tell him that there is one thing that he could have done better ...

Ignore the trolls... even from the pulpit

Feb 4, 2019, 9:43 AM

Reality is their punishment. ??

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You never want to be loud and cause a scene at church

Feb 4, 2019, 9:49 AM

so what you should have done is quietly walked up to him while he was giving the sermon, call him an inbred coot and punched him right in his inbred coot face then start a C-L-E-M in cadence count cheer. If you really want to take it up a notch and teach that inbred coot a lesson, after everyone has left the church, burn down the building and leave a Tiger Rag in the parking lot. They'll understand the message loud and clear.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: You never want to be loud and cause a scene at church

Feb 4, 2019, 9:54 AM

Burning the church is definitely going a little too far. Maybe just burn the preacher, like they used to do witches back in the day?

That's a little too ISIS for my taste***

Feb 4, 2019, 9:55 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: That's a little too ISIS for my taste***

Feb 4, 2019, 10:12 AM

Maybe so - it's difficult to perform a good point-proving burn while still maintaining our unwavering civility!

I think if he would have just yelled out woohoo the rest would take care of itself***

Feb 4, 2019, 9:55 AM [ in reply to You never want to be loud and cause a scene at church ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love all the replies

Feb 4, 2019, 9:59 AM

and the creative nature of my fellow TNET folk. I wanted to do all the above, but think the one poster was correct - letting him soak in the reality is the best approach.....

Re: You never want to be loud and cause a scene at church

Feb 4, 2019, 10:51 AM [ in reply to You never want to be loud and cause a scene at church ]

As a country gentleman, he should have challenged him to a duel.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

What about having the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man invited in

Feb 4, 2019, 12:38 PM [ in reply to You never want to be loud and cause a scene at church ]

to step on the church?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Need specifics. Most of the time people are trying to be

Feb 4, 2019, 9:57 AM

Funny. But he’ll be in for a world of hurt if he’s dogging The team that I’m assuming roughly half of the congregation pulls for

Yeah, I'm in Winston-Salem

Feb 4, 2019, 10:07 AM

so, not many Tigers or Lamecocks for that matter in the congregation. So, his comments may not even have been understood by most. It's mostly UNCheat and Nancy State and Weak Florist fans in the crowd. But there are 5 or 6 pretty rabid Tiger fans and they felt like me.

One said as I was leaving - "man, all the disrespect for Clemson". I said yeah, that was hard to sit there quietly and listen to.

Specifics - the preacher put Clemson in the "evil-doer" category (from Phillipians). Said he was yelling at the TV in front of his family as Clemson was "scoring all those touchdowns" as he was pulling so hard against Clemson in the game. Said that he had a "spiritual gut-check" because of that and that he had spent "3 hours getting consumed about something so unimportant as a football game".

A couple of other mentions but you all get the gist....

my dad was a pastor and a Clemson fan deep in duke, unc, nc state territory

Feb 4, 2019, 10:11 AM

He didn’t make a whole lot of jokes about fans there

Re: specifics

Feb 4, 2019, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Yeah, I'm in Winston-Salem ]

Sounds like most of his applications were interrelational, so he's only describing how he deals with his personal feelings, not attempting to portray the Tigers as real evildoers (though he may think some ACC locals agree with him in that.)

The problem here is that in speaking from the pulpit, he is speaking for the body to the body. Personal POVs need to be expressed as such.

I've got no problem respecting a Coot fan for being passionate about their team, even if it means he dislikes mine. In fact, i respect them immensely because their team has given them so little to appreciate, so long as they do it with respect for those who feel differently.

I remember the first time my pastor lamented from the pulpit how passionate people can be for their sports teams but not for God. We've talked together about it numerous times. Now when he mentions it from the pulpit, he no longer emphasizes 'toning it down' for sports, but rather being more expressive about our love and relationship for our Redeemer.

God has done so much more for us than CU ever can. He is ever faithful, and is the Source of all Authority on this earth or in heavenly places. While being a Tiger fan makes many people, and me, a better person, it is my Savior who has transformed me from what i was to what God sees me as.

Re: Yeah, I'm in Winston-Salem

Feb 4, 2019, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Yeah, I'm in Winston-Salem ]

Sounds like you completely missed the point of the sermon.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The point was...

Feb 4, 2019, 10:57 AM

the pastor is just another coattail riding Coot living vicariously through Clemson's opponents.

The fun is in the winning but I sure have enjoyed watching all you DirtPeckers banished to live in college football he!!.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Did you even hear the sermon? Or do you think anybody cares

Feb 4, 2019, 5:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Yeah, I'm in Winston-Salem ]

what a butthurt loser obsessed with CLemson thinks?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Im confused...

Feb 4, 2019, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Yeah, I'm in Winston-Salem ]

that really sounds like he was acknowledging his own sin in the way he viewed Clemson and its team. He associated them with evil-doers, he was cheering hard against them, he had a spiritual gut-check when he realized what he was doing.

Re: Im confused...

Feb 4, 2019, 12:30 PM

Sounds like you're being far too logical.

sounds like you're obsessed***

Feb 4, 2019, 5:10 PM

Feb 4, 2019, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Yeah, I'm in Winston-Salem ]

so, not many Tigers or Lamecocks for that matter in the congregation. So, his comments may not even have been understood by most. It's mostly UNCheat and Nancy State and Weak Florist fans in the crowd. But there are 5 or 6 pretty rabid Tiger fans and they felt like me.

One said as I was leaving - "man, all the disrespect for Clemson". I said yeah, that was hard to sit there quietly and listen to.

Specifics - the preacher put Clemson in the "evil-doer" category (from Phillipians). Said he was yelling at the TV in front of his family as Clemson was "scoring all those touchdowns" as he was pulling so hard against Clemson in the game. Said that he had a "spiritual gut-check" because of that and that he had spent "3 hours getting consumed about something so unimportant as a football game".

A couple of other mentions but you all get the gist....

Funny...

I was in ' the dash' years ago on business and saw one Gamecock shirt..
But saw plenty of orange....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2019, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Yeah, I'm in Winston-Salem ]

Ah, so he was pulling for the GameTides.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 4, 2019, 10:04 AM

The pulpit is not the place to talk Gamecock or Tiger hate. Poor judgment on that young man. Find other ways to illustrate your point, instead of upsetting a portion of your congregation

Feb 4, 2019, 10:20 AM

There is a time and place for such comments and inclusion in a sermon to a mixed audience is not acceptable. Go to your Senior Pastor and express your underlying concern. This individual needs to learn from their shortsighted attempt at humor because it clearly made many church member uncomfortable when the sermon should focus upon a broader lesson.

Hope this helps?

Go Tigers!

Feb 4, 2019, 10:09 AM

My pastor is also a coot fan.

When he mentioned college football during sermons it is usually putting down his team.

It is a great way to unify the congregation because Tigers and coots alike nod in agreement with his woeful comments regarding the coots.

Feb 4, 2019, 10:21 AM

Logged in just to tu ^^^^

Tell him that Envy is considered one of the seven deadly sins....and that he needs to work on that.

smile and walk away.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: he needs to work on that

Feb 4, 2019, 6:54 PM

Best answer!

Just send him a kind note telling him

you'll be praying for him and that just like it's never too late to "get your heart right," it's also never too late to get your mascot right.

Feb 4, 2019, 10:19 AM

If he acknowledges that he respects that others feel differently, i don't have a problem with it. Almost any story can be used positively if it is framed in an inoffensive manner.

I live in GA, where about 75% of the congregation that express themselves are Dawg fans. But the pastor knows that God isn't, and doesn't even joke that He is. Just that his wife is.

A speaker of any skill level needs to respect the personal preferences and diversity of his audience. In the body of Christ, what unites us is Christ. Anything that divides us is at best inferior to Christ and at worst flat-out wrong. You're doing your speaker a favor for the future if you graciously point out to him that his sermons need to be stripped of divisive illustrations framed in an offensive manner.

Believe me, i know: people will leave a church without ever telling the leadership what someone did to offend them. If he's not a regular speaker, his service to the body of Christ could do more harm than good.

Feb 4, 2019, 12:44 PM

Did he preach the Gospel yesterday? Did he give priority to the Word of God? Was his sermon based on Scripture? Did he uplift the Name of Jesus Christ? If the answer to those questions are yes, then you need to pray for him and ask that God will continue to bless and use him. You should thank God that your church has a man who is giving out and teaching the Word of God. You should tell him in person, or call him, and tell him that you appreciate him standing for the Word of God and that you love him. That would be the best thing you could do.

Feb 4, 2019, 1:05 PM

Does your church have a safe space you can retreat to and join the other snowflakes? So, his
silly comments transcended the whole spiritual worship experience you were supposed to come away with. And instead of dwelling on that, you dwell on his silly comments. Sounds like the Debil got to you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

a church in rock hill?***

Feb 4, 2019, 10:25 AM

Feb 4, 2019, 10:27 AM

To begin with sounds like you're going to the wrong church.

Feb 4, 2019, 10:30 AM

you could just wear a National Champion Ring Season Tee shirt and wear it proudly and boldly .... if he questions it simply reply "best is standard, championships are won when no one is watching, Character is built off the field not on it... I think God would agree don't you?"

If he's not the head minister, you should probably

Feb 4, 2019, 10:36 AM

go to the head minister to share your concerns.

I admit, though, I've been in your situation and have just let it pass. Once, it was even with a Missouri fan who was my pastor...the year we lost out there.

My pastor is an Alabama grad

Feb 4, 2019, 10:39 AM

I was wearing a Clemson shirt in church yesterday. During communion as he was serving me he said "Are you going to wear that shirt every week?" I said - "it's all I have in my wardrobe."

Mine too...

Feb 4, 2019, 11:10 AM

We had a friendly wager that if Clemson won he had to wear a Clemson shirt to preach the next Sunday.

That orange looked a lot better on him than that Bama red he usually wears.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

+1 for Pastor paying off his wager . . .***

Feb 4, 2019, 11:21 AM

Your perception of reality

Feb 4, 2019, 10:51 AM

and the sermon point may not be accurate. Would have to hear what said, context, etc. Our preacher pointed out that if you are getting your Identity from the NC, that's erroneous. Your identity should be that you are a strong rep for God, not in a team's success. He was correct in this. But mentioning this three times or having 3 different references - that's a bit much, so he may have been on a soapbox of sorts.

Feb 4, 2019, 10:58 AM

We had an interim preacher USC grad on the Sunday after the coots won their 5th straight against us. He went on and on about how great it was to be a gamecock and actually said Dabo was not a very good coach. I called him out after the service, the pulpit is not the place for anything but preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I teach Sunday School and have about half the class are gamecock alum/fan. I always leave football home when I am teaching. I am there to teach a Sunday School lesson not sports. If I were you and I would let him know how I feel.

Next time he preaches

Feb 4, 2019, 11:23 AM

sit on the front row with an orange tie and a Tiger Paw pocket square and hold up five fingers as he starts his sermon. Then as you leave, congratulate him on a great sermon and that you would like to ask Dabo to speak to the youth of the church.

I think he'll get the point. If you're Presbyterian, just tell him Clemson is predestined for greatness!

Surely

Feb 4, 2019, 11:33 AM

There is another church you can attend. When a “minister” brings things to the pulpit like this, he has the problem. You don’t,

Re: Surely

Feb 4, 2019, 4:58 PM

He was not the regular.

Even if the guy was wrong--not sure he was-- you don't wanna leave a perfectly good flock just because one sheep shows his butt.

If a preacher is out of order sr members of the....

Feb 4, 2019, 11:48 AM

congregation are obligated to talk with him privately. If a preacher is way out of order in handling God's word I'm apt to call him on it during his sermon. Some things can't be allowed to pass. Imo, you did the right thing by remaining silent.

If you feel obligated to God to speak with him then do so. If it's just a matter of your pride swallow hard and keep your mouth shut. Not trying to be harsh, just cutting to the bottom line.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2019, 11:49 AM

Don't say anything. That's the best way to make him realize the Tigers do their talking on the field. Even if the entire congregation were praying for success at UofSC, they would still not be in Clemson's class. I understand most doctors who are UofSC grads will gladly prescribe "Get Used To It" pills for their Gamecock patients.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2019, 12:02 PM

You should confront him and Cast the Devil out of him . He is clearly demon possessed

I would let it go...

Feb 4, 2019, 11:57 AM

If it happens again, consider a conversation with him.

Put some $2 bills with tiger paws on them in the offering

Feb 4, 2019, 12:32 PM

plate. This will show him who pays part of his salary!

Find a new church.***

Feb 4, 2019, 12:34 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Find a new church.***

Feb 4, 2019, 4:56 PM

Don't be that guy.

Feb 4, 2019, 12:39 PM

Was able to get home after finding a few tires flat?

Always felt like the pulpit is not the place ....

Feb 4, 2019, 1:10 PM

.... for discussing sports - at least as far as likes and dislikes are concerned. No matter how you couch your words you will be pushing some of your congregation away - which is not a good thing. As a human pastors will certainly have favorites but should never mention these feelings from the pulpit. That should be revered as a position of authority and responsibility - and not as a forum to lord your feelings over a captive congregation. Maybe this is not a majority opinion - but I feel this very strongly.....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

I completely agree.

Feb 4, 2019, 7:06 PM

No politics should be discussed while a preacher is behind the pulpit. It confuses the spiritually young into believing that Christ or the apostles got involved in secular business. If anyone can site a passage which contradicts my belief that either of the final 12, Christ or the church history recorded in the Acts I'd love to see it.

When folks asked Jesus about secular issues He seemed to always stray from the unimportant secular issues and gravitated toward the spiritual which revealed His priority.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I completely agree.

Feb 5, 2019, 12:57 AM

Jesus exercised amazing discipline with his message. Even when they tried to pull him into their squabbles, he found a way to avoid getting steered into taking sides.

Remember "is it lawful to pay taxes?" The Jews already were paying temple taxes. Jesus' answer "render unto Caesar..." is amazingly deft.

Feb 4, 2019, 2:40 PM

I follow my dad's example, when something is said in church that doesn't belong, I get up and walk out.

I liked Country Boys mention of placing $2 bills stamped with Orange PAW..

Feb 4, 2019, 3:42 PM

in collection plate...but not your entire stash since you’ll need some for 2019-2020 Conference & CFP Championship trips!

Oh, Coots won’t be seen anywhere near those venue’s!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I liked Country Boys mention of placing $2 bills stamped with Orange PAW..

Feb 4, 2019, 4:54 PM

In most churches the ministers don't touch the offering.

A counting team counts and audits all monies given, files a report and transports it to the bank.

It's called accountability.

If you don't have good money-handling practices, both in writing and in application, your bank and insurance underwriter get really nervous.

Feb 4, 2019, 4:09 PM

I agree that a lot of it is about context. But as a former youth pastor, I can say you should NEVER reference something as polarizing as politics or sports fandom when speaking with the group or entire church. If it is something straight from the Word, then cover it but leave things like politics or sports out of it. By bringing those things into it, people you are trying to reach with THE MOST IMPORTANT MESSAGE have just shutdown and turned a deaf ear to anything life-changing you will say next.

If that is the case, then you or some church leadership (senior pastor, deacons, elders etc) should be informed - with love - how those remarks can make people feel. The Gospel is way too important to cheapen it by taking pot shots at a team or politician you don't like....eternally important!

Feb 4, 2019, 7:10 PM

That's outstanding. I'd add the most harm is done to the very most innocent, the spiritually young. 'Better for a millstone to be...than harm one of these...'

When a real preacher gets in the pulpit and is guided by The Real Preacher, politics and sports are the last thing on his mind. 'Blessed are the feet...' Blessed indeed.

I appreciate your contributions to this thread. God bless you, my brother.

So.... Corey Miller is your youth minister?...

Feb 4, 2019, 4:22 PM

Who knew?...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2019, 4:38 PM

Being a pastor myself and a Clemson fan here is what you can say to him. Tell him that he preached a great sermon and give him 5 reasons why you think so. Then tell him here is 5 things he can improve on. Then give him the last 5 scores between USC and Clemson with a smiley face at the end. I think he would appreciate the humor.

Feb 4, 2019, 4:44 PM

I think your onlt option is to plant some drugs in his car and make an anonymous tip to the police.

I detect a boner for church people.

Feb 4, 2019, 7:11 PM

You're still way up on my prayer list.

No Offense, but your middle school minister sounds like a

Feb 4, 2019, 5:07 PM

butthurt loser...How long has Classof09 been preaching at your church?

Crucify Him!!!***

Feb 4, 2019, 5:08 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2019, 6:57 PM

Just be the adult here. Most youth ministers only stay put about two years. Chances are he'll be gone by VBS.

IMO, Dabo has been a pretty good witness for Christ. And by

Feb 4, 2019, 7:04 PM

"pretty good' I mean OUTSTANDING. Gives God the glory every time.

If your coot preacher don't get that, find another church.

Or better yet, get his sorry coot azze fired.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wear your orange blazer to church & a purple tie***

Feb 4, 2019, 8:00 PM

Re: wear your orange blazer to church & a purple tie***

Feb 4, 2019, 10:04 PM

Rise above the hate. You should've gave him an offering. A check in the amount of 63 dollars and 17 cents! He will understand!!

Re: wear your orange blazer to church & a purple tie***

Feb 4, 2019, 10:15 PM

You should have gone up to him after the service and told him how good his sermon was and that you really enjoyed it. However, he did go a little long. Then, while pointing at your watch say, "Look, it's 56:35!!"

ST

How much better received....

Feb 4, 2019, 10:17 PM

...by both sides and in front of God he would have been had he manned up and had words of congratulations for the Tigers, even while everyone knew he was a coot.

Replies: 78
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic