Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just rewatched the 1981...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 3,278

Just rewatched the 1981...

Dec 17, 2017, 6:52 PM

... Orange Bowl. I don't think I've watched it since 1/1/82. I was 11 at the time of the game and I remember my parents talking about how the media didn't give Clemson a chance to win that game, but I didn't comprehend that then. It reminded me a lot of the Fiesta Bowl from last year. The announcers were in complete denial until it was over. The other thing that cracked me up was the difference in celebration after that game and the win last year. I like the way we celebrate now a lot better. :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ever watch the 30 for 30 about SMU?

Dec 17, 2017, 6:55 PM

All those ######## think they were the best team that year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ever watch the 30 for 30 about SMU?

Dec 17, 2017, 7:03 PM

I have not. I'll see if I can find it and watch it tonight. I've heard about the scandal, but never knew they were trying to take away from our Tigers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just rewatched the 1981...

Dec 17, 2017, 7:02 PM

I talked to a guy who was on the TV production side a few years ago (Boston John if you listen to Chas sports talk radio).
They had a meeting a week before the orange bowl and announcers don criqui bob trumpy did not know where Clemons was located. They thought NC. We have come along way baby. I liked them both as announcers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2017, 7:08 PM

They mention during the game that "a lot of people" didn't know where Clemson was and thought it was in NC and then they say that they certainly know where it is now. They may not have figured it out in the '80s, but I guarantee anybody who knows anything about college football knows where Clemson is NOW. :)

I've never listened to Charleston's sports radio. I listen to the WCCP app or XM 84. I'll have to give it a try.

Dec 17, 2017, 9:53 PM

we were pretty much considered just lucky pretenders who played a soft schedule.if you can find a copy of sports ill. published just after the game(perry tuttle on the cover),you'll get a good sense of how our players felt.before the game the local Albany,ny paper's chief sports writer wrote a column just dumping unmercifully on the fact that we were no.1 and didn't deserve to be in national championship consideration.i wrote a reply completely destroying his column,but he wasn't big enough to respond with a mea culpa and an apology.typical of the media types,especially the ones who are too lazy to research before they open their mouths.on another subject,how did you fare during the hurricanes,and do you know linda and ray Johnson(also Edisto residents)?good friends from way back.ray and I were at CU in the 60's and saw them again in the 70's when I was at ft. Jackson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 17, 2017, 9:56 PM

maybe he couldn't read your reply ? ;)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 18, 2017, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Just rewatched the 1981... ]

Minimal damage from Matthew, just a few shingles, and no damage from Irma. I don't know the Johnsons. I'll ask my husband if he does. It seems we are surrounded by gamecocks and I'm always looking for Tigers since moving here from the Upstate in 2006.

Dec 18, 2017, 9:46 PM

glad you had minimal damage from the storms.linda and ray live at 3602 big bay drive,if that helps.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 17, 2017, 10:01 PM

Crazy. I just watched it too. I also was at that game. I was 20 years old. Ticket cost $15. Still have the ticket stub. That was an awesome game. Great trip to Miami.

Dec 18, 2017, 9:44 AM

Too funny. I kept wondering how much the tickets sold for and why my daddy didn't make sure I was there. I watched it with my "granny" though at her house and it's one of my favorite memories I have with her.

You old fart...

Dec 18, 2017, 10:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Just rewatched the 1981... ]

I was only 18! :)

And I still have my ticket "stub" as well. Freshman year and what a season!

Would seem blasphemous now to rip a $450 NC game ticket! And I have one from last year too - without the tear.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2017, 10:24 PM

The corn shuckers were pissed they were playing us. We had no business on the field with them. If they beat us it wouldn't be enough to win the Nat'l Champ. They wanted the dawgs.

I think John Brodie was the color analyst.y favotite line was

Dec 18, 2017, 8:56 AM

This offensive line is PUMPED UP!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think John Brodie was the color analyst.y favotite line was

Dec 18, 2017, 9:49 AM

I just laughed each time they made reference to how Nebraska would get rolling soon or how tough they were going to be after they picked up steam. At the time, I'm sure it was maddening, but knowing the outcome just added to the comical value. It's like the sound-over remake of the Fiesta Bowl from last year. If you haven't watched that it is too funny.

Re: I think John Brodie was the color analyst.y favotite line was

Dec 18, 2017, 11:41 AM

A couple of things I remember vividly about our being "undeserving" of the opportunity to be in that game. 1. I remember a coot fan saying "they play a whole different type of football at Nebraska. They're gonna kill yall." That was what most of them were saying - the Tigers didn't deserve to carry the Huskers jocks. How'd that work out? 2. Joe Paterno whined and said that the winner of the Penn State/USC Fiesta Bowl - which happened to be PSU - deserved to be National Champs, not Clemson. I lost all respect for the man right then because it was a cheap shot because he didn't think we were worthy. As it turned out apparently integrity never was a strongpoint with him.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

JoePa would find out years later that we weren't a joke ...***

Dec 18, 2017, 12:03 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 3,278
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic