Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just found out a guy I work with went to school with BB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Just found out a guy I work with went to school with BB

Feb 17, 2015, 8:57 AM

He took a class under BB and had nothing but great things to say about him. I agree. He does what he can with the talent we can recruit.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"we" don't recruit, he do.***

Feb 17, 2015, 8:59 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just found out a guy I work with went to school with BB

Feb 17, 2015, 9:07 AM

You're an idiot. This is the acc. The best basketball conference.

Don't give me the, we do the best with what we have speech.

Delusional....

that's not nice.***

Feb 17, 2015, 9:07 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the players play the games...they must be more consistent, simple...

Feb 17, 2015, 9:28 AM

And the guys need to keep more level heads & focus in the game.
SOME of that may actually be due to coaching, being coach's job to motivate & manage the team mentality....
but I doubt Brownell draws up any critical numbskull turnovers, or calls plays that are supposed to lead to 10 minute shooting droughts, just sayin...
our guys need to improve & step up their game, team-work/-play, shooting & passing, etc = better consistency & those few points we needed in a few games to have won them!
If that had happened & we'd won a couple more of those games, it wouldn't be all so doom & gloom.
only the slightest bit of improvement in those areas & we are a totally different team & still in the runnings!!!
After OP left, recruiting took a big hit....seems we're still recovering from that sadly, but it does seem to be improving. No need to have such false expectations. It will just take more time. Build the facilities, do what you can with coaches & changes, recruiting, & be Clemson fans....stay pawsitive & look to the future.
we'll get there!
Tough loss Tigers....keep trying & doing your best. isht happens, but we still love y'all for the effort.
Go Tigers!

oops, button stuck...wierd

Feb 17, 2015, 9:30 AM

I'll delete the extras, my smartphone's bad ;)

Re: Just found out a guy I work with went to school with BB

Feb 17, 2015, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Just found out a guy I work with went to school with BB ]

how often do you expect us to be ahead in the standings of Duke, Louisville, UVA, Syracuse, and UNC?

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Virginia was average until 2 years ago or so***

Feb 17, 2015, 9:44 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Virginia was average until 2 years ago or so***

Feb 18, 2015, 8:09 AM

And what happened 2 years ago?

null

You mad bro?***

Feb 18, 2015, 8:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Just found out a guy I work with went to school with BB ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Being in the ACC hurts us, it doesn't help us ...

Feb 18, 2015, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Just found out a guy I work with went to school with BB ]

... in recruiting.

We never, ever ... EVER go head to head with a top ACC power for a recruit and win the battle. It just doesn't happen. Not with Brownell, not with Purnell, not with Barnes ... not with any Tiger coach in history nor with any Tiger coach in the future.

But, we still have to compete with those schools for conference titles and NCAA bids.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

clemson does not have to beat unc & duke for recruits to

Feb 18, 2015, 10:36 AM

make the ncaa and if folks are expecting the tigers to do so[on the reg], they're misguided just as no one should expect duke to beat clemson for football talent on the reg. duke's competing, making bowls and played in a title game, just as OP took the tigers to a final.

competing in and winning the acc are two completely different things. there is plenty of talent available to help clemson compete and the occasional sharone wright will fall if the program wins consistently.

let unc, duke, kentucky deal with the one & dones. just as in football, kids are attracted to the "best" and whether X coach/program is capable of or built to leverage that "best conference tag" is on an individual/casebycase basis.

if you can't leverage the acc and that opportunity in basketball, turn in your whistle.

If Clemson had ever actually won an ACC hoops title ...

Feb 18, 2015, 11:18 AM

... I'd agree with you 100%.

You're absolutely right. We don't have to beat the Dukes and UNCs for blue chippers, but we do have to beat the NCSUs and the Wakes and the Marylands and the UVAs, and we don't even do that.

Duke, Wake Forest ... in fact every original ACC school has won at least one ACC football title in spite of their lack of recruiting prowess, but we all know which original ACC school has never won an ACC basketball title.

We've come close, but no cigar ...

One would think that some Tiger coach at some point would have "leveraged" the ACC, but none have done it on any sort of consistent basis.

Perhaps our two best coaches (Barnes and Purnell) brought in a style and a recruiting philosophy that worked for a while in the ACC but both saw the writing on the wall and simply QUIT while they were ahead.

Other fine Clemson coaches such as Foster and Ellis were able to use lightly regarded project players and JUCO fill-ins to compliment an occasional under-the-radar big man to produce nice competitive teams every 3-4 years.

Our search for a guy who has the capability to build a consistent program and who who will stay with us long enough to keep that program going has come up dry to this point.

Is Brownell the guy? It's still hard to say for sure.

But, we've signed him to a contract that will keep him here and we're throwing money at his facility deficit, so we are obviously going to have to wait and see.

you don't have to agree, clemson has made the dance plenty

Feb 18, 2015, 12:03 PM

of times, 4 in a row recently. i don't have any expectation of clemson winning the acc tournament; sure, it would be nice if it ever happens. most importantly, it's not a prereq to compete in the acc or advance to the national tourney. it just doesn't have to happen in order for those two to do so.

clemson has competed on court[op was the 4th highest paid acc coach] and hopefully will off court with the new facilities[finally]. clemson has had good coaches that have played 2nd or even 3rd fiddle with wilhelm and for many years leggett. the other situations[schools] you mention, it's not been the case. valvano was king of ncst, williams and lefty as well or at minimum on equal footing.

personally, i don't blame barnes for leaving for texas[it's texas] and op got a depaul gig where basketball is king, no matter how he's done.

still, none of that has a thing to do with a program and/or coach leveraging the acc to player[s] to at least compete on this stage and beyond. it appears to be a shortcoming of coach brad's. he may be more reliant on the upcoming facilities than say a purnell or barnes?

we've seen what sec programs have done to leverage football in recruiting[11 teams in rival's top 25?], clemson is/has dropping the ball if they can't in basketball.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said ...

Feb 18, 2015, 1:31 PM

... Clemson has dropped the ball.

From an Athletic Department level, we have just never paid anything but lip service to hoops, and honestly, for 30 year under Frank Howard, we didn't even do that much.

It may not be an unrealistic goal to expect us to get to a consistent Top-4 ACC finisher in basketball, but we have a lot of catching up to do.

But, for the record, I do absolutely think that (at least occasionally) winning the ACC title is pre-requisite for considering your program as competitive in ACC hoops.

It's got to happen because it's a pride sort of thing ... otherwise we're just an ACC participant and not a true competitor.

If you're saying that CBB is a good coach with

Feb 17, 2015, 9:17 AM

inferior talent, then I agree...but who's responsible for recruiting that talent? Coaches can recruit players to Clemson that are good enough to compete in the ACC. OP did it, albeit with a different system. CBB better start to do it too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

OK, name me all the great recruiting coaches that have been

Feb 17, 2015, 10:13 AM

Here (basketball)! Waiting patiently!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OK, name me all the great recruiting coaches that have been

Feb 17, 2015, 10:38 AM

i've got bank on gwp in a first round tko.

Feb 17, 2015, 11:02 AM [ in reply to OK, name me all the great recruiting coaches that have been ]

Tates Locke, Bill Foster, Cliff Ellis,
It can be done with a more exciting offense.

Feb 18, 2015, 10:15 AM

Those guys were not great recruiters ... Tates Locke recruited with "cash & cars" ... Bill Foster and Cliff Ellis had a reasonably good eye for a developmental projects like Larry Nance and Horace Grant and the occasional JUCO fill in, but no Clemson coach has EVER signed a player that UNC or Duke wanted without paying for his services.

Yes, I know there are a couple of minor exceptions like Ricky Jones, but those exceptions are far from the rule.

I don't have to look back any further than

Feb 17, 2015, 12:21 PM [ in reply to OK, name me all the great recruiting coaches that have been ]

CBB's predecessor. People like to say he only recruited athletes, but that's not entirely true. He got some very good basketball recruits.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

yep... KC Rivers was a player, and would likely excel in

Feb 17, 2015, 12:22 PM

BBs system

as was Stitt. Hammonds was a diamond in the rough as well who I thought was a very good basketball player.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Not to mention Milton Jennings, who didn't quite

Feb 17, 2015, 12:25 PM

pan out here, but he was a big time recruit. IIRC it was OP who originally got him committed to Clemson? Although I can't remember if he played a year under OP or went straight to CBB?

Message was edited by: GWPTiger®

OP left our basketball program in absolute shambles

Feb 18, 2015, 7:49 AM [ in reply to If you're saying that CBB is a good coach with ]

When CBB got here, we had no players and OP knew he was leaving so he didn't recruit any.

Not true that OP had noone signed.

Feb 18, 2015, 8:59 AM

Marcus Thornton had signed in that class and Clemson released him from that LOI after the coaching change.

http://clemson.scout.com/story/918495-tigers-sign-marcus-thornton

So what?

Feb 17, 2015, 9:20 AM

Brownell is a good guy. He is supposed to be.

But, he is dull, unenthusiastic and uninspiring.

He has no excitement or passion.

And, he has done nothing at Clemson.

Nothing!

Re: So what?

Feb 18, 2015, 8:45 AM

To say BB is unenthusiastic is just not correct. I don't know if you have been to a game or not but he rarely sits down and is always screaming at the players. I don't think he goes more than two possessions without yelling at the players. I've even heard him yelling through the tv. So sorry sir but you're just not right here. Now if you want to say that he is too hard on his players and that's why he can't recruit then maybe I give you that.

Feb 18, 2015, 8:51 AM [ in reply to So what? ]

"But, he is dull, unenthusiastic and uninspiring.

He has no excitement or passion."

lol wut....

null

Feb 18, 2015, 8:54 AM [ in reply to So what? ]

9:20 am and we have the most idiotic statement of the day. it is early but this one just may hold up. please fill us in on your requirement for exciting. geeeeeeeez

Feb 18, 2015, 8:59 AM

9:20 AM?

Where the hell do you live?

null

Did you think OP was "enthusiastic" ? Really ??

Feb 18, 2015, 2:10 PM [ in reply to So what? ]

The most entusiastic thing I ever saw him do during a game was smear his lips with Chap Stick before every tip off.

Seriously ... he did that. Don't know if he had a problem with dry lips or if it was just a little pre-game superstition thingy.

Or, maybe he was preparing to have to kiss some official's a$$ to get a call to go his way.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic