Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mitch Hyatt’s shortcomings......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Mitch Hyatt’s shortcomings......

Apr 27, 2019, 6:45 PM

Okay guys, don’t shoot the messenger. I checked an NFL draft sight and these are the reasons it gave for not drafting Mitch.

Undersized for his position.

Doesn’t have the size to recover when the defender makes initial contact.

Needs improved run blocking.

Needs to develop better handwork.

Unremarkable wingspan and arm length.

It also projected him to be drafted in rounds 3-5.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mitch Hyatt’s shortcomings......

Apr 27, 2019, 6:46 PM

Spot on. Also now he gets to choose where he goes which is a good thing!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^ This

Apr 27, 2019, 7:04 PM

Not getting drafted has actually worked out very well for Artavis Scott too, as he projects to play a major role for the Chargers this upcoming season

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He had no shortcomings at Clemson

Apr 27, 2019, 6:48 PM

the best OL we have had in quite a few years

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He had no shortcomings at Clemson

Apr 27, 2019, 7:06 PM

He was a very suitable college OT, NFL likes them much bigger. If someone in the NFL gives him a chance, it will probably be at another position, probably a blocking TE, or on the D side of the ball bc he is intelligent and athletic enough to make a position change....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He had no shortcomings at Clemson

Apr 27, 2019, 7:20 PM

Not going to call you an idiot so I’ll just call this post idiotic

Apr 27, 2019, 6:50 PM

Someone just hit the jackpot. They can say what they want but I watched him dominate NC States DL 2 years ago, Alabama’s DL for 4 years, and those guys went first round.

Apr 27, 2019, 6:54 PM

I feel bad for Mitch but I think back to Boulware...one of the top
10 college LB's I have ever seen..undrafted and now out of the game.
The NFL is a business and most know how that works

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2019, 6:56 PM

Yeah, Ben was undersized for the NFL too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really?***

Apr 28, 2019, 12:08 AM

Apr 27, 2019, 7:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Mitch Hyatt’s shortcomings...... ]

Those are the exact reason I don't like NFL FB, to much of the big business for me!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 27, 2019, 7:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Mitch Hyatt’s shortcomings...... ]

Mitch was a 4 year starter that dominated. Ben was a 1 trick bull rush LB that couldn't even try to cover.

Totally different. I think Mitch will find a home and be a steal.

That's bullcrap.

Apr 28, 2019, 12:22 AM

Ben was waaay more than a, "1 trick bull rush LB that couldn't even try to cover".

One, he covered tons of guys. Tons. You really think he would have played nearly every snap of every game if wasn't able to cover people now and then? No, no he wouldn't have.

Sure, Ben's strength is not his ability to run sideline to sideline and run guys down around the edge. But he did make many of his gazillion tackles during his career on the edge and downfield. I remember that sweet :) suplex tackle he had against Syracuse being way on the outside just for instance.

Bottom line, if he were a 1-trick pony then it would have been exploited by everyone we played. Instead, he only pretty much led or was very near the top of the team in tackles every season he played meaningful minutes. How many was that, 3 years?

It is indeed a mystery why he didn't make it in the league, but I would guess he doesn't have great sideline to sideline speed. But darn, you know he's going to try his hardest on every play.

Apr 27, 2019, 7:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Mitch Hyatt’s shortcomings...... ]

Ben was short and slow, had short arms that couldn't wrap up a back of any size, and had already maxed out his frame. He had already reached his maximum potential by starting for Clemson.

I don't think Mitch has.

For four years he has committed to being anything Clemson needed on the back side of the line. He was very successful. Now he needs to get good direction on how to build himself to NFL standards. Not sure if he has his degree yet or if he is still focused on finishing. Pretty sure he was still considered to be the best OT not taken, so I'm sure someone will be interested.
But he and we need to understand that he might as well be playing against CF99 or DL90--with their 84" wingspans-- every single down. Dominating in the ACC is far different than surviving in the NFL.

i Can’t figure out how he did not get bigger.....

Apr 27, 2019, 7:00 PM

In upper body while he was at Clemson. But once he is out of school , weight and muscular development comes a lot quicker when you have 24-7 to train and don’t have to worry about class or study hall. Other than that he has a lot of tools , if not all the tools. A scout can always find a weakness and harp on it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just curious...how "optional" was certain strength

Apr 27, 2019, 7:09 PM

and conditioning program elements?

The reason I ask was the comment they made on Renfrow (and, yes, I do realize Hyatt was an OL, while Renfrow was a WR). The comment made was something to the effect that he (Renfrow) didn't like the weight room (hence, supposedly, his looking like the water boy physique-wise).

IF Hyatt participated in the strength and conditioning program like all the rest of the linemen, then I could only conclude that he just isn't as genetically predisposed for that muscular buildup.

All I know, though, is that his performance was against the same guys that are in the NFL. And he did just fine.

I personally think it is all about commitment to growth throughout college and the pro career. There can't be complacency.

Clarification re point about strength/conditioning

Apr 27, 2019, 7:11 PM

If Renfrow didn't "like" the weight room, was it optional? Just wondering how much of strength and conditioning is "optional," if any of it is at all.

Re: Clarification re point about strength/conditioning

Apr 27, 2019, 7:37 PM

I’m not familiar with the inner working of the weight room policies but I can’t imagine they are optional at Clemson.

HR came in at like 140lbs and couldn’t bench press 135lbs once according to Dabo. Gaining 45lbs and improving press to 225lb for 8 reps is a pretty big improvement over his years. So he may not have loved it but he was certainly in the weight room.

Re: Clarification re point about strength/conditioning

Apr 27, 2019, 11:58 PM

Men his size normally will never bench 225 8 times if they haven't worked out. And they couldn't ever bench 315 if never worked out, and someone that can bench 225 8 times, can most likely bench 315 once!!!

Re: Just curious...how "optional" was certain strength

Apr 27, 2019, 11:41 PM [ in reply to Just curious...how "optional" was certain strength ]

I agree but, lets not forget that everyone that he would go against in the NFL, will be the best D lineman that teams can put there to go against Mitch every snap in every game, and he hasn't ever at Clemson faced that type of challenge or players!!! There isn't any doubt he wasn't drafted into the NFL is bc he is way undersized for the huge Giants that play the NFL D Lines!!!

Re: Just curious...how "optional" was certain strength

Apr 28, 2019, 12:23 AM

Maybe both Allen's, Chubb, Burns, Walker, Landrey, Cowart, and others I forget didn't line up on his side but only giving up 5 sacks in 4 years is crazy!! Not to mention the Bama backers all 4 years along with others. I am sure Hyatt has hundreds of snaps again NFL caliber guys.

I hope Mitch Hyatt find the right team. He will do well.

Apr 27, 2019, 8:04 PM

I predict a good NFL career for him. Not sure why he was not drafted. Other teams will regret that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well yeah that, and

Apr 28, 2019, 12:06 AM

he started like every game in 4 years, won two national titles, and played for another. I mean really, he was a tremendous tackle for us. Always did his job. I don't remember him ever getting dominated from any program, including big, bad Bama players, who certainly look like they're using something.

Personally, I think Mitch's biggest issue for the NFL was probably that he couldn't bench 225lbs as much as other OT's in the draft. But then again, he wasn't all jacked up on the juice like, say, an Alabama player. Plus, in the NFL, I would venture to guess more guys are using steroids (of some sort) than those who aren't.

In the NFL, you almost have to do it in order to be as competitive as others in the league. HGH is very common, but it requires blood testing to find. HGH testing is very expensive especially relative to a simple pi$$ test, which can't catch HGH.

Getting back to Bama, personally I think they use HGH. Scott Cochran pushes it, and Saban being an ex-NFL guy probably promotes it to. The guy does really wanna win every single game.

Mitch Hyatt obviously doesn't use steroids, and he may not be comfortable doing them even it may cost him being drafted. Screw the critics. Go prove 'em wrong Mitch.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic