Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just can't believe this. If anything close to this happens
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,988

Just can't believe this. If anything close to this happens

Jun 12, 2012, 9:05 PM

we better make the B12 jump. http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/whats-the-sec-network-worth-a-year.php

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just can't believe this. If anything close to this happens

Jun 12, 2012, 9:12 PM

If it happens and if the money is as good as this story projects (1,000,000,000.00 per year+) then B12 or ACC will not matter.

That would be a pay out of 60-70 million per college per year on top of the CBS/ESPN/Tier 3 money.

Jun 12, 2012, 9:22 PM

That is freaking scary then.. Just wants me to quit college sports. Just hope we can make half that if it happens.

The courts ruled in favor of conferences/teams to negotiate

Jun 12, 2012, 9:35 PM

their own contracts. as such, 1 conference will get the most money. with the sec on top right now, they're getting the money. they'll get the best recruits and college football as we know it is gone.

if this happens, then all the other teams/conferences should start their own league, get a new governing body, and their own championship. freeze the sec out. see how well they do when they're out of the big picture.

short of something like this, the thrill is gone.

Re: The courts ruled in favor of conferences/teams to negotiate

Jun 12, 2012, 10:07 PM

I think the sec is pretty much making its bones at the acc's expense. Most of their teams are playing one non conference rival, usually acc, then beating up on non-BCS opponents the rest of the season. Of course they cry about how hard their schedule is as the reason. But the only sec team to go unbeaten through the regular season last year was the one with the brass to play Oregon and West Virginia.

Big 10 hates the SEC. ACC should really look in their direction for big name non conference matchups, we also need to quit murdering our teams with the thursday night matchups after a non-bye week. The notion that the exposure is worth sabotaging your teams season is sickening. I'm disgusted with the WF matchup this coming season. We've sat bye and not reacted for the better part of a decade while the sec played an FCS opponent the week before their ACC rivalry game while all our teams usually had conference matchups. These losses, more than anything have defined the separation between our two conferences and we willfully let it take place on a non level playing field.

Message was edited by: viztiz®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2012, 10:27 PM

Come on man. At least admit most of our conference opponents are FCS quality.

It all boils down to wins when it counts. No BCS wins. No big bowl wins. Lose to SEC on a regular basis. We just need to leave the ACC. GTFO!

Jun 12, 2012, 10:38 PM

We played two SEC opponents. Other than LSU and, I think Alabama, the rest of the conference played no more than one BCS conference opponent. Mississippi State played none.

And how does Gtfo the acc solve any of the other problems you listed (not that I'm opposed to leaving). I just think if the acc is going to crossplay sec rivals it needs to be on equal terms.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2012, 9:55 PM

These are pie in the sky numbers. Espn viewership is shrinking as is cable/satellite subscriber ship. The longhorn network is finding big trouble getting into homes. The big 10 only makes slightly more with their own network than the sec does now and the big 10 alumni base is much larger than the secs. These numbers are contingent on an sec network being lumped into basic tier packages across most service providers in the SEC's footprint. Cable companies are fighting back vigorously at these fees as they are already losing subscribers every time they raise prices.

People need to relax a little about the freaking out about money. ABC/Disney/espn have a major interest in college sports - not just the SEC. This years championship proved the SEC alone can't produce the matchups necessary for ESPN to realize the viewership they need. Short of an Armageddon scenario where teams defect and acc dissolves, espn is going to protect their investment in the acc. Just as the sec is currently enjoying the benefit of being espn's only exclusive partner until last year.

Frankly, I wish Clemson would pioneer a pay channel and broadcast all their "tier 3" sports. There'd be little expense. They could start a broadcasting program if they don't already have one. I'd gladly pay 10-15 bucks a month if I knew I'd definitely be able to see at least every home game in every sport. Iptay was revolutionary when it started. Time for Clemson to step forward once again.

Comments prove authors homerism.

Jun 12, 2012, 10:15 PM

This is one of the dumbest articles I've ever read. The SEC is not getting $3 a month. Why does NESN get $3 per month? They air 162 Red Sox games in Boston. Why does CSN Washington get $3 per month? They air 82 Capitals games & 82 Wizards games.

Look at this list of subscriber fees. http://staatalent.com/2012/headlines/espn-big-leader-in-subscriber-fees/

The only way the SEC gets $3 per million is if they take top games from ESPN. AND if they do that, ESPN has to sacrifice ratings and would take a huge cut of the revenue, similar to Fox gets 49% of BTN revenues.

And if they do charge $3 per subscriber, it's going to end up on a sports tier and only sports fans will buy it. In Alabama, sure that's everybody. But it's not everyone in Texas. It's not everyone in Florida. It's not everyone in Georgia.

To say your math is flawed would be polite.

Not sure how accurate those numbers are. BUT, when it's all

Jun 12, 2012, 10:24 PM

said and done, I'm afraid that a new SEC Network will, nevertheless, get dollars that will make me want to throw up.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,988
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic