Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Saban: "If he had been driving it would have been different"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

Saban: "If he had been driving it would have been different"

Aug 3, 2017, 6:39 PM

That's his statement after police found star defensive lineman Da'Shawn Hand asleep at the wheel in a parking lot with his KEYS IN THE IGNITION.

Man, that's messed up. The whole reason he was charged with DUI, and the law in most states, is because they keys were in the ignition.

Bend the story all you want Nikki. He wanted to drive, and put his keys in the ignition, but was so drunk he passed out before putting himself or most importantly others, at danger.

But, as always in the SEC, they found a way to justify not suspending a 5* player. Shocker.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/nick-saban-alabamas-dashawn-hand-wont-be-suspended-was-right-not-to-drive/amp/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Saban: "If he had been driving it would have been different"

Aug 3, 2017, 6:46 PM

The W's and L's don't always tell the tale about a coach. This is a great example of why Dabo is > Saban.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who here, is actually surprised? Really?***

Aug 3, 2017, 8:04 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Lutz. It's stupid to give DUIs for

Aug 3, 2017, 6:53 PM

not actually driving.

How do you know he passed out?

Saban is right.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lutz. It's stupid to give DUIs for

Aug 3, 2017, 6:58 PM

There's no "lulz" about this man. You don't put your keys in the ignition and fall asleep if you planned to take an Uber home. Think about it. There's a reason he was charged with DUI even though the vehicle wasn't in motion. This is a common law in most states.

Maybe he just wanted air and some tunes while he slept it

Aug 3, 2017, 7:01 PM

off ?? At least he DIDN'T drive.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then he shouldn't have been sitting in the driver's seat***

Aug 3, 2017, 7:03 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That does make sense...probly too drunk and didn't think of

Aug 3, 2017, 7:10 PM

that...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and that's the ENTIRE point of the arrest***

Aug 3, 2017, 7:12 PM

Re: and that's the ENTIRE point of the arrest***

Aug 3, 2017, 7:17 PM

Thank you. How do people not get that?

maybe they've been drinking...***

Aug 3, 2017, 7:30 PM

Re: Maybe he just wanted air and some tunes while he slept it

Aug 3, 2017, 7:05 PM [ in reply to Maybe he just wanted air and some tunes while he slept it ]

Bars are air conditioned. Even in Bama. They have music too.

Uber and any other taxi service short of a horse and carriage have the same amenities.

If you're drunk enough to pass out, there's no reason you should be close to a drivers seat. Much less keys in the ignition.

FWIW most bars won't let you sleep it off inside

Aug 4, 2017, 9:37 AM

Maybe he was planning to drive and passed out. Maybe he just was going to sleep it off and no one ever taught him that the law keys in the ignition can get you a dui. Usually I'd be critical of Saban, but I don't necessarily disagree with his move because there is plausible deniability and Saban knows his players better than we do. Hopefully, this guy will just start taking an uber or cab to bars and not risk drinking and driving again

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know what the law is. It's a dumb law.

Aug 3, 2017, 7:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Lutz. It's stupid to give DUIs for ]

If I had very little money, I might do the same. You have to have the keys in the ignition to get the AC ON.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I know what the law is. It's a dumb law.

Aug 3, 2017, 7:19 PM

I'll defer to the "dumb" law in favor of ensuring people don't die because someone is too drunk to make a reasoned decision.

but you don't have to sit in the driver's seat to sleep***

Aug 3, 2017, 11:37 PM [ in reply to I know what the law is. It's a dumb law. ]

Aug 3, 2017, 11:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Lutz. It's stupid to give DUIs for ]

Actually, he could have had keys in and cranked. As long as he was in the passenger seat or back seat. You've got to be behind the wheel.

I've slept in my car that way. Sometimes it's too hot or too cold not to have it cranked. But I know better than to be in the drivers seat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Aug 4, 2017, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Lutz. It's stupid to give DUIs for ]

It is the law yes but a dumb one. Maybe he was listening to the radio or getting some AC and did not want the battery to die.

wow...bold strategy, Cotton***

Aug 3, 2017, 7:02 PM [ in reply to Lutz. It's stupid to give DUIs for ]

I agree, Saban is right.

Aug 3, 2017, 7:10 PM [ in reply to Lutz. It's stupid to give DUIs for ]

I have seen people who thought they shouldn't drive, pull over and leave the car on for the air condition and get a DUI.

I watched the police at South Carolina arrest a kid in a wheel chair for a DUI because he passed out and his friends went into the game and put the guy in the wheel chair in the front seat of the car because it was hot and turned on the AC for him. Sitting at his #### tailgate spot. Wonder why you can't trust the police anymore.

I didn't know the guy in the wheel chair so who knows if he got out of it or not, I hope so, but he clearly wasn't driving.

It doesnt matter

Aug 4, 2017, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Lutz. It's stupid to give DUIs for ]

He was in the car, in the drivers seat, keys in the ignition, with the car on.

By getting in the car drunk and starting it, he showed clear intent to drive the vehicle.

Full punishment of a DUI is deserved.

I doubt it was just Saban who bailed him out. Saban also had pressure from the school and boosters/alumni who, as a organization, bailed this kid out.

There is absolutely no excuse to get a DUI

Aug 3, 2017, 6:59 PM

Just be safe and spend the $10-$15 on an Uber. No reason to risk killing someone.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

It takes courage to spin a DUI into a positive...Nick Saban

Aug 3, 2017, 7:00 PM

has THAT courage

Re: It takes courage to spin a DUI into a positive...Nick Saban

Aug 3, 2017, 7:02 PM

Courage based on the fact he knows he's above reproach. That's what makes it most disgusting actually.

yeah, that's the joke guy***

Aug 3, 2017, 7:04 PM

Re: yeah, that's the joke guy***

Aug 3, 2017, 7:06 PM

Oh I got it. Just felt like clairigyung for the people who obviously don't.

Then it isn't as funny***

Aug 3, 2017, 7:11 PM

Aug 3, 2017, 7:15 PM [ in reply to Re: yeah, that's the joke guy*** ]

I agree. No one should be charged with dui if not driving. In my younger days there were plenty of times I would not drive (uber wasn't option then) but sit in car with a.c. on and music playing to sleep it off and then drive home the next morning, especially during my navy days. To charge someone with dui just because keys are in ignition is to say you know without doubt they would drive and no one knows that but them and God.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2017, 7:35 PM

Yep, I've done that also. These aren't "those days" though. It's all relative.

And, while you may have made such reasonable decisions, you can't deny the fact that many people that have had too much find a way to illogically reason with themselves, and even argue with others trying to help, in an effort to pursuade themselves and others into letting them drive.

Before Uber the slogan was, "give me your keys." That's not a coincidence.

Aug 3, 2017, 8:03 PM

So what if you turn on the car and AC but sit in the passenger seat? Hmmm? Still guilty you high horse fans?

Same attorneys as UNCheat

Aug 3, 2017, 10:33 PM [ in reply to Re: It takes courage to spin a DUI into a positive...Nick Saban ]

Perhaps they have the same attorneys as UNCheat.

In any event, he should be suspended for being so stupid in the first place. It is just hard to presume you are not going to drive when you have the keys in the ignition. If that is indeed the law in Allerbammer then it should be followed. Were I the coach, he would be suspended regardless of the disposition of the DUI charge.

When I was in the USAF, I got arrested

Aug 3, 2017, 7:47 PM [ in reply to It takes courage to spin a DUI into a positive...Nick Saban ]

For driving while impaired. I registered. 05. Which was two beers. My boss and Captain praised me for leaving the bar after only a couple.

So you want a "congratulations" for...

Aug 4, 2017, 7:59 AM

getting arrested? Why did the cop pull you over in the first place?

Happy he passed out before he was able to get it out of

Aug 3, 2017, 7:33 PM

Park. He and others on the road that night are fortunate in that regard that it wasn't worse.

Aug 3, 2017, 7:48 PM

I personally think saban made the right call here. I've always hated that keys were in the ignition crap. If the kid was drunk and sleeping in the parking lot I think the cop is a total d!ck for arresting him. If my kid did this I would not be mad. It seems like the best choice in that situation. I think the keys being in the ignition shouldn't matter. The only reason you care is because it's Alabama and you would love to see one of their stars not be able to play vs FSU. Admit it. If this was a kid from any other school you wouldn't care. If bama was playing Chattanooga week 1 you wouldn't care. This kid should be pat on his back for not putting himself or anyone else in danger by driving drunk. Suspending him for this would only make more kids take the risk and drive home.

Aug 3, 2017, 8:29 PM

Good post. I wonder what all the nancies would say if that was a Clemson player and that was dabos explanation. I'm thinking an entirely different tune. Saban is correct in this instance.

Aug 3, 2017, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Saban: "If he had been driving it would have been different" ]

You are kidding, right? Pat this kid on the back for being so drunk he passed out! Let's send him a teddy bear and a coloring book too. He gets free tuition, adoration from a campus and grown men and cannot show any more self control than that? Wonder what his mom or grandmom think? How well did he represent for his family there? Doesn't matter the school, but it does just point out the hypocrisy of Saban. If he were a 3rd stringer, no way Saban takes this tack. If Dabo did this can you imagine the press in SC being after him, much less ESPN? Perhaps he will have to run some steps or something like that. He better be on his knees giving thanks it was no worse than falling asleep before the car got started instead of after.

Aug 4, 2017, 11:53 AM

Hahaha. I don't know how he will ever be able to show his face in front of his family again. You're right, he has smeared his family name to the point of no return. I mean how could a college kid ever get drunk? How could anyone do such a terrible thing? I would never be able to show my face in public again. You wouldn't either, would ya? I can tell we are on the same page. Man oh man, he got drunk and didn't even drive. The horror.

Agree with you - what does the "D" in DUI stand for?

Aug 4, 2017, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Saban: "If he had been driving it would have been different" ]

Not "Sitting" that's for sure.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2017, 8:03 PM

He wasn't driving...get over it.

Aug 3, 2017, 10:58 PM

Don't know if I missed this, but are sure he did not just park the car and then passed out? If that was the situation, would you still consider no DUI?

Aug 4, 2017, 8:09 AM

Bottom line - he broke the law. No penalty for breaking the law?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2017, 8:21 AM

Saban's law could be used in other instances as well.

"Yes officer that's weed in my pocket but I wasn't smoking it."

"OK, that is a slim jim but I not breaking into the car."

"Loaded gun on the plane? No problem I ain't shooting anybody."

"Why yes, those are the answers to the test but I wasn't gonna use em."

The man was in a vehicle with the motor running, he's driving.

Aug 4, 2017, 11:56 AM

You're right, because turning the ac on during the summer while you sleep it off is just way out of the realm of possibilities. No way anyone would ever do that.

Irrelevant.

Aug 4, 2017, 12:10 PM

Sitting in the drivers seat, key in the ignition, car turned out, passed out drunk.

Hand showed clear intent to drive the vehicle. If he was sleeping it off, he could climb into a passenger seat and roll a window down.

Re: Irrelevant.

Aug 4, 2017, 5:17 PM

So you can read the mans mind and just know he intended to drive? Good to know. Obviously you've never partied before. When you're drunk, you're not entirely rational. I have slept off being drunk a ton of times in my drivers seat, with the ac on listening to the radio and so did a ton of my friends at Clemson. The main point is he wasn't driving. Period. You and I can speculate all day and night, but he was not driving.

Aug 4, 2017, 5:26 PM

While some speculation is out there, it sounds like most would agree that unless additional details come to light, there won't be much anyone can do to prove what he was or was not trying to do.

However, what tokillagamecock® said is correct. It's all really irrelevant.

In Alabama, the law states: "no person that is under the influence shall be in actual physical control of any vehicle." The charge for that if you're caught is a DUI. Simple as that.

Aug 4, 2017, 6:18 PM

I understand the law. Still doesn't mean what he did was something terrible like everyone is making it out to be. The kid went out and partied, went to sleep in his car instead of driving. Nothing most college kids haven't done before. The point is he was not driving, that's why saban is correct with his punishment.

Just another selling point on keyless ignitions

Aug 4, 2017, 8:38 AM

;).

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sleeping while drunk is not against the law

Aug 4, 2017, 3:14 PM

The fact is that he didn't drive drunk. He can't be charged with a DUI for sleeping it off.

Now the State of AL may have something to say about "intent" with regards to being drunk behind the wheel passed out with keys in the ignition. But that's up to the state of Alabama and it's still not a DUI.

DUI's are about facts, not speculation. It doesn't matter what anybody thinks about it, except Nick Saban. He has the facts and knows the kid WAY better than you, or I.

The law doesn't arbitrarily convict people of crimes because "they came close to doing it".

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sleeping while drunk is not against the law

Aug 4, 2017, 4:01 PM

Alabama state law does not require that the person actually be driving, and the charge for that if caught under the influence even if they aren't actually driving is still DUI. That's a fact. Alabama isn't the only state that has such a law.

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic