Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just a question for those who know more
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,545

Just a question for those who know more

Jan 3, 2018, 9:23 AM

than about than I. In all these discussions about our offensive woes the other night, I think it was pretty clear Bama came in with a very precise game plan to shut our offense down. I believe we can all agree on that. My question is this. Do we ever ask the best DC in CFB (who happens to be on our sideline) what he would do to shut down our offense? I’m asking b/c I don’t know, but I’ve noticed, as I’m sure others have as well, we have certain tendencies on down and distance situations that aren’t that hard to figure out. I’m positive Brent could point these out to Tony Elliott and problems get solved. Sometimes a second set of eyes makes all the difference in the world.

I’m sure the first response to this “of course they have, you think you know more than the coaches?” Or maybe get called a coot. That one is funny.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s a good thought.

Jan 3, 2018, 9:51 AM

I figure the first thing BV will tell him is to get our guys to block better. JMO

BTW not trashing our guys but Bama was just too much this year. That was really the only time in the last three years I remember our blockers getting whipped all night like that and that to me tells me that we have had a great group kids coming through lately.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Instead of asking our DC that question

Jan 3, 2018, 9:58 AM

our OC's should be assessing their own play calling tendencies to game-plan against what the opposing team will be expecting us to do. If we have tendencies to run certain plays in specific formations, personnel on the field, or down-and-distance situations, they should fake the commonly used play and give them a few surprises.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thought we would come up with something other than

Jan 3, 2018, 10:09 AM

Throw to Renfrow on 3rd downs. He still had a decent game, but what casual fan didn’t know Bama would be keying on him given our history?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just a question for those who know more

Yeah, I certainly not a coach but have some pretty good input in that both my nephews played college ball. Mostly offensive line too. IMHO, a lot of people (tiger fans) went into this game feeling pretty good because of the way bama had played in the miss st game and awburn game. thinking possibly KB2 would light em up like awburn did.

In those games Pruitt? their dc had to try and use the safeties etc to get the pass rush that bama ball is used too - didn't work to well because then they couldn't play man on the pass as much as they wanted too and a good qb like stidholm from awburn and to some extent miss st qb could really take advantage in finding the soft zones etc. and expose the backend...

I would think it'd be appalling if our OC's took what happened in those games and game planed around that. if so, they didn't watch much tape from fla st game and any of the other tape from earlier games (incidentally bama's whole arg about beating fla st meant so much etc.) So, I don't think our OC's would do that.

Here's what gets me, our scout team should have been able to simulate bama's rush and schemes with the D they face in practice every day. Again, imo we did that and what it all comes down to is execution which we failed miserably in. One thing that worried me about KB2 all year is he has a tendency to try and outrun the pressure by going backwards and then sideways... he doesn't slide sideways and or step up into the pocket near like DW4 could do. Playing the teams we do all year, ?KB2 can get away with that because we don't play bama every game. Anyway, once KB retreated in bama game, bama changed their scheme a little and pinched in the edges to make him have to retreat even further and take a sack putting us in bad down and distance.

This is NOT meant to take away that our oline had a horrible night and didn't adjust at all, neither did the RB's and TE's either. I don't recall us bringing in an xtra TE to help but that hurt us.

Already too long of a response but hth. a little.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like you, I don't really know but I would guess that the OC's have a gameplan they feel gives us the best chance to win and maybe they try to stick with it thinking it will eventually start working. It seemed that Bama had us figured out all night and I've wondered why we seem to keep running plays that aren't working. If everyone executes their blocks, routes, etc the play should work at least to some degree. I've never coached anything in my life and have 1 very bad year "playing" high school JV football under my belt so I'm only in a position to wonder about it just like you. (In case you're wondering...and I'm sure you aren't, I played "a$$-back" that one year. Every-time I begged Coach to let me go in a game he yelled "Chickenfriedrice, get your a$$ back on the bench". I was an absolute terrible football player.)

I make it a point to trust that our staff and team are doing everything they can to win ballgames every week. Sometimes you just get beat. Some nights the other team is simply better. Like Dabo says, learn from it and move on. Monday night will not define this team.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2018, 10:35 AM

Oh, now that's funny "Chickenfriedrice, get your a$$ back on the bench"... somebody ought to tell Dabo to use that one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2018, 10:04 AM

Yes, we self scout ourselves all the time. Hard to find the athletes Bama had to put on a scout team though to simulate what Bama did.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They DID what BV would do...Shut down the run and make the

Jan 3, 2018, 12:03 PM

running QB beat us with his arm

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stack the box and...

Jan 3, 2018, 12:31 PM

and make the QB beat you with his arm seems fairly simple to me. I think that was somewhat the game plan to defeat both offenses on the field that night.

I guess I'm still emotionally charged about the game and all I can remember is us not being able to complete many passes. A little hold here and there which seemed to happen at the most critical times and Bama's defense being able to run just fast enough to be in the right place at the right time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,545
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic