Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Junge coffee drinkers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Junge coffee drinkers

Jun 30, 2015, 11:29 AM

I just procured an 8 cup French press. I am excite. Already had two cups of coffee this morning, but I kinda want to try it before tomorrow. HOW MUCH BETTER IS THIS COFFEE THAN REGULAR STUPID DRIP COFFEE?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would be cool if the press was in the shape of a penus head

Jun 30, 2015, 11:38 AM

For the LULZ

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those things make very weak coffee

Jun 30, 2015, 11:40 AM

because France

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While French coffee is horrible...

Jun 30, 2015, 11:50 AM

it is not weak.

French presses do make weaker coffee, but depends on the bean and the soak time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

frahnch roast is NOT horrible....

Jun 30, 2015, 1:45 PM

man, you dislike all the rong things

Coffee is gross. I don't drink it.***

Jun 30, 2015, 11:41 AM

^^^Chugs him a Mello Yello on the way to work***

Jun 30, 2015, 11:42 AM

If He wants me to have energy in the morning, He will

Jun 30, 2015, 11:43 AM

provide it.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If He wants me to pound a Mello Yello and a honeybun

Jun 30, 2015, 11:45 AM

from Citgo, He will direct me to bang a left into the parking lot at 6:45 every morning.

What does Christ think of 5 Hour Energy?

Jun 30, 2015, 11:46 AM [ in reply to If He wants me to have energy in the morning, He will ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mountain Dew***

Jun 30, 2015, 11:45 AM [ in reply to ^^^Chugs him a Mello Yello on the way to work*** ]

Surge***

Jun 30, 2015, 12:06 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love mine.

Jun 30, 2015, 11:49 AM

Much better coffee, especially with higher end beans.

I drink automatic drip during the week, this is my lazy weekend morning coffee.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's what this is going to be. The Keurig works fine for

Jun 30, 2015, 12:18 PM

week days. Just brewed a pot to test out grind, coffee/water ratio, and steep time. It's a pretty good cup of coffee--not a million billion times better than the Solo K3 refillable with fresh ground in the Keurig, but it's better, for sure. You get thicker, richer coffee because you get some of the particulate in it. I did 5 minutes, and this is a strong enough cup, but you could always up the ratio of coffee, or steep longer, and get stronger coffee if you wanted it.

The only drawbacks are that you pretty much need to pour and drink what you make immediately. The pot I have, anyway, isn't supposed to sit on a burner, so whatever's left will get cold, and will continue to steep, neither of which you really want happening.

too much work

Jun 30, 2015, 11:55 AM

It's like a shake weight for coffee.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Used to do French press. Now do Chemex.

Jun 30, 2015, 12:43 PM

Less soot.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its called mouthfeel

Jun 30, 2015, 1:47 PM

you neanderthal.

It's called mouthful of coffee mud at the bottom of the cup***

Jun 30, 2015, 2:17 PM

Heard good things about Chemex.

Jun 30, 2015, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Used to do French press. Now do Chemex. ]

Might kop if I get bored of French press.

I plan on getting a chemex as well

Jun 30, 2015, 2:29 PM

But its really just a large pour over system, just like a drip coffee brewer. The exception is you control the temperature and the brew time where as a drip coffee maker does it for you.

Once you get it right. . . . .much better

Jun 30, 2015, 1:53 PM

there are a lot of factors that go into brewing a good cup of joe. . .

#1 Start with good water. Filtered tap water works pretty good. If you have funky water you will have funky coffee

#2 Whole beans freshly roasted and ground just before brewing. The closer to the roast date the better the coffee will be, I try to use up my coffee within 2 weeks of the roast date. Once the beans are ground they start to quickly lose quality so if you can always but fresh roasted coffee whole bean and grind before use.

#3 Grind size especially for a french press is important, you need a coarse grind to prevent too much sludge and fines getting in your coffee. Its not a big deal and its part of the appeal of french press but still something to consider.

#4 Extraction time. you want the water about 200 degrees when it hits the coffee (prehating the french press with hot water prior will also help prevent excessive temperature drop during brewing) and let it sit for about 4 minutes before you plunge. When you plunge don't just slam the plunger down. If you apply a lot of pressure that increases the extraction of the beans which are already at the limit of extraction, slow gentle pressure or you could wind up with really bitter coffee.

#5 If you aren't going to drink all the coffee at once, don't let the coffee just sit in the french press with the grounds at the bottom or the coffee will continue to extract and the stuff you drink later will taste terrible, transfer any unpoured coffee to another vessel.

I forgot the coffee to water ratio

Jun 30, 2015, 2:00 PM

The best coffee to water ratio falls between 1 to 15 and 1 to 20 (by weight). Making a compparison to tablespoons of coffee to fluid ounces of water gets tricky. Tablespoons of whole beans and tablespoons of ground beans are different and there can be a big difference in densities of coffee beans based on where they are from and how long they were roasted

TIL AdamD021 is Jaun Valdez***

Jun 30, 2015, 2:03 PM

I have used a French P for years but just got a pour-thru

Jun 30, 2015, 2:02 PM

kinda like this one. I like it because the coffee doesn't sit in the grounds. Less sludge.

#ACCFTS

Do you use a paper filter with it?

Jun 30, 2015, 2:05 PM

or just the mesh? I use the Hario V60 pour over with paper filters. The paper filters provide a very clean and crisp coffee if you don't want fines in your coffee.

I just use the mesh, no paper.

Jun 30, 2015, 2:11 PM

I had to play with the grind to get it right - too coarse and the water runs right thru - too fine and the filter plugs and it doesn't flow at all.

THis is the actually one I got, the bodum. I assumed i would smash the glass within days but I have been using it since Christmas almost daily.

#ACCFTS

Yeah all manual coffee brewing takes some adjustments

Jun 30, 2015, 2:15 PM

I like the Hario because you can stick it on top of whatever mug you are going to drink out of.

Use a paper filter with that one? I had a friend this wknd

Jun 30, 2015, 2:18 PM

saw my pour-thru and was asking about a single cup version - that looks like the ticket.

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-VDG-02B-Glass-Coffee-Dripper/dp/B002VUSWGQ

#ACCFTS

^^^What I'm talkin bout.***

Jun 30, 2015, 2:24 PM [ in reply to I have used a French P for years but just got a pour-thru ]

I have only one cup a day now so I can sleep.

Jun 30, 2015, 7:20 PM

But I don't get anything done now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic