Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Campus Update: TBT: Historical Photos of Downtown Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Campus Update: TBT: Historical Photos of Downtown Clemson

Aug 13, 2015, 9:44 AM

TBT: Historical Photos of Downtown Clemson

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Guessing the early to mid 1950s based on the movies?***

Aug 13, 2015, 9:53 AM

Re: Campus Update: TBT: Historical Photos of Downtown Clemson

Aug 13, 2015, 10:14 AM

For a moment I thought that was a 'leg lamp' in the Book Store window....electric s*x!!!

Aug 13, 2015, 10:54 AM

good catch. I missed that the first time through

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

About DAN..he would feed you if no $ & put it on a tab until you could pay!

Aug 13, 2015, 11:50 AM

The Guy was all Clemson at heart.. And had to move biz out on sidewalk once after kitchen fire & students supported him even more.

Best part was in mid to late 50's when a lowly student would be sent down to Dan's (since close) to place large order for burgers/fries, for several of the seniors who would pitch in the extra money to get the rookie a burger too for his trouble.

Later years Dan catered fancier meals to the Athletic Dept I believe during FB & BB games..

and had those great black & white pics of Clemson FB players on the walls..in those stupid poses normally taken on the practice field (where the Soccer field is now) early on b/4 season.

He died way too young..maybe mid to late 50's.

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: About DAN..he would feed you if no $ & put it on a tab until you could pay!

Aug 13, 2015, 4:47 PM

And Dan was always willing, indeed eager, to flip you double or nothing for your burger and fries. Of course for Dan, it was a no-lose proposition. If the tab was $3, Dan's out-of pocket cost was probably something like $1.50, which was all he really had at risk. The student, meanwhile, had $3 at risk. Nevertheless, I always flipped him double or nothing. Over 4 years, I probably came out about even, burt Dan made out like a bandit.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ClemTigs

Dan was still serving in the line through 1969 & a little

Aug 13, 2015, 5:34 PM [ in reply to About DAN..he would feed you if no $ & put it on a tab until you could pay! ]

longer. It was my all time favorite Clemson establishment! The best burger in Clemson history, and Mac worked for him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks! Great pics!

Aug 13, 2015, 10:32 AM

Clemson SC was the "poster child" for sleepy little Southern college towns....still is, somewhat, I guess.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

geeZ...I saw most of those in person!

Aug 13, 2015, 10:37 AM

Getting Real OLD, but content & happy!

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I used to eat at Dan's.

Aug 13, 2015, 10:47 AM

Very sad when it closed.

Judge Keller's sure hasn't changed***

Aug 13, 2015, 4:56 PM

Other than being deceased?***

Aug 13, 2015, 6:00 PM

Judge Keller's as in the store

Aug 13, 2015, 9:36 PM

why would I put an 's if I meant the man?

Are you talkin to me?

Aug 13, 2015, 10:04 PM

:)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Sorry Judge. I didn't realize you were still with us.***

Aug 16, 2015, 11:09 PM

Oh yeah. Sorry about that Penthouse.***

Aug 16, 2015, 11:08 PM [ in reply to Judge Keller's as in the store ]

Re: Judge Keller's sure hasn't changed***

Aug 13, 2015, 6:10 PM [ in reply to Judge Keller's sure hasn't changed*** ]

I went with the wife to Judge Keller's the other day and I can remember shopping their in 1972. Ibrahim store was always my favorite. I was thinking about the Dr. today as I completed walking my daily 18 at Cross Creek.

Is TD's now where Dan's sandwich shop was?

Aug 13, 2015, 5:06 PM

Thanks for the pictures. Those were great.

Subway I think

Aug 13, 2015, 5:07 PM

but same building.

Thank you! I wish it were still Dan's.

Aug 13, 2015, 5:14 PM

Not that I was around for Dan's, but Subway? I prefer mom and pop places. Anyway, thank you.

Amen to that! Dan Gentry was a Clemson legend IMHO.***

Aug 13, 2015, 5:39 PM

I didn't realize that Dan started Mac's with Mac.***

Aug 13, 2015, 5:58 PM

nm

Re: Amen to that! Dan Gentry was a Clemson legend IMHO.***

Aug 13, 2015, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Amen to that! Dan Gentry was a Clemson legend IMHO.*** ]

dan was probably CU's biggest supporter.ate so many burgers there over my 4 years,i swore i'd never eat another.that oath didn't hold as I still eat plenty of them now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

You are soooo right. A walk-to place to get a great

Aug 14, 2015, 12:51 AM [ in reply to Amen to that! Dan Gentry was a Clemson legend IMHO.*** ]

late night hamburger.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2015, 7:09 PM

Those pics take me back now 55+ years...Dan was quite the guy..a "real deal" Clemson
guy...all in all the time...Judge Keller's was the place for "fine" apparel.. the theater downtown and the Esso station were hot spots on a Saturday nite... I look at those pics and just about cry..that's how special a place it was and is....

Thanks for sharing Tony, I can't wait to get them in frames

Aug 14, 2015, 2:13 PM

We love the pictures that bring up memories of simpler times in Clemson. I wish we could go back to simple times when everybody knew each other sometimes. I know we can't but we could all learn something about the importance of relationships and trust from our elders. In times past a persons name could be built on his word and his willingness to reach out and help others no matter who they are. People use social media to be someone their not now.

I love our technology but I miss the relationships people had with the local businesses in times past. We can learn so much from our history.

Clemson has always been a special town and always will be. Southern hospitality at its best is Clemson.

It's still hard to believe that Death Valley holds 80,000 plus fans for football games. I had a furniture business after college in West Palm Beach, Fl. Pro Player Stadium is down the Sawgrass Expressway about 35 minutes south. From Jupiter, Fl to Miami, Florida their are millions of people but the Miami Hurricanes do good to average 40,000 fans. It's hard to believe they wouldn't sell out their games. The truth of the matter is Clemson is the only place where fans go crazy over their team and pack the stadium with 80,000 plus fans when the population is very small. It says a lot about how treasured Clemson is in the heart of the fans.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic