Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Greatest All-time Clemson Linebackers:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Greatest All-time Clemson Linebackers:

Jul 21, 2014, 3:12 PM

1. Anthony Simmons
2. Jeff Davis
3. Levon Kirkland
4. Keith Adams
5. LeRoy Hill
6. Bubba Brown
7. Ed McDaniel
8. Randy Scott
9. Spencer Shuey
10. Johnny Rembert

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes.***

Jul 21, 2014, 3:13 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

That list is why we're LinebackerU!

Jul 21, 2014, 3:14 PM

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Very good list. Wayne Simmons was very good also.***

Jul 21, 2014, 3:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a mature adult post...

Jul 21, 2014, 3:19 PM

I wasn't sure it was going to be until I opened it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is Monday.***

Jul 21, 2014, 3:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

late 60's had Larry Hefner

Jul 21, 2014, 3:30 PM

one big nasty but a good one....

hartins you 'member LH????

Re: late 60's had Larry Hefner

Jul 21, 2014, 3:42 PM

I played with Larry and he could play with any of them. Had a good career with the Packers.

Great list. I'd have the same exact top 4, in the same exact

Jul 21, 2014, 3:33 PM

order. A good case can certainly be made for all of the others too, as well as for John Johnson, Wayne Simmons, Larry Hefner, and Rahim Abdullah.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Greatest All-time JD #1 No Question

Jul 21, 2014, 3:43 PM

leader of the century

Simmons and the Fridge are the only three time AP

Jul 21, 2014, 3:48 PM

All Americans in ACC history.

It seemed like Simmons (Anthony) was in on every

Jul 21, 2014, 4:00 PM

single play. I don't know that we've ever had a player at any position that had a better nose for the ball or was more disruptive to the opposing offense.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Thought post read cheerleaders.***

Jul 21, 2014, 3:43 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John Johnson **

Jul 21, 2014, 3:59 PM

s

Re: Greatest All-time Clemson Linebackers:

Jul 21, 2014, 4:16 PM

Shuey was a good player and will definately be missed, but I'm not sure if he's in the top 10 of all time. You're missing ones like Anthony Waters, John Johnson, Wayne Simmons, Doug Brewster, Ashley Sheppard, Chad Carson, John Leake..to name a few. Either way, we've had some good LBs to play in the Valley

Jonathan Brooks from your town, Saluda, was a

Jul 21, 2014, 4:27 PM

very good DE. I got to know him pretty well.

His brother, Red, was one of the best athletes I ever played against.

you are right.....Danny Triplett wasn't listed as well***

Jul 21, 2014, 8:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Greatest All-time Clemson Linebackers: ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what's hard to believe is that the 1990 roster included

Jul 21, 2014, 4:40 PM

Levon Kirkland, Wayne Simmons, Ed McDaniel, Ashley Sheppard & John Johnson. That's gotta be one of the best groups of LB's on any team in college football history. Gotta be.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Did Simmons and Johnson play LB or DE in a 5-2 D?***

Jul 21, 2014, 4:45 PM

null

Message was edited by: josephg®

Good question. I don't remember if they all played only at

Jul 21, 2014, 4:58 PM

LB or moved around some. Would have to research that...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did Simmons and Johnson play LB or DE in a 5-2 D?***

Jul 21, 2014, 5:14 PM [ in reply to Did Simmons and Johnson play LB or DE in a 5-2 D?*** ]

they both played OLB, never DE. on those teams, Clemson occasionally played with only 3 d-lineman because those OLB's were so good at getting in the backfield. having guys like Mark Drag, Rob Bodine, Vance Hammond, Chester McGlockton, Brentson Buckner, Richard McCullough, Otis Moore and a few others that pushed being 280-300 lbs back in the late 80's, early 90's gave the defense the luxury of using 3 down linemen and 4 backers. for clarity though, John Johnson and Levon Kirkland played the Bandit which technically was a stand up DE but off the line.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Knuck... Thanks man, good memory & good info.***

Jul 21, 2014, 6:57 PM

Re: Knuck... Thanks man, good memory & good info.***

Jul 24, 2014, 10:59 PM

No problem, I was on campus until '90 and continued to go to almost every game up through about '98. That run from '88 -'90 was a lot of fun... and made for a lot of fun Saturday nights on campus...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Johnson is listed as Bandit on old rosters, while both

Jul 21, 2014, 5:29 PM [ in reply to Did Simmons and Johnson play LB or DE in a 5-2 D?*** ]

Simmons (Wayne) and Kirlkand are listed as OLBs.

- H. L. Mencken

Danny might have had another NC that year!***

Jul 21, 2014, 8:32 PM [ in reply to what's hard to believe is that the 1990 roster included ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Greatest All-time Clemson Linebackers:

Jul 21, 2014, 5:08 PM

You got 1 & 2 backwards, but otherwise an awesome list!!

Go Tigers!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very nice list ...***

Jul 21, 2014, 8:18 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jeff Davis will be "The Judge" of this list.. ooh, a list.

Jul 21, 2014, 8:50 PM

JD no like being runner up. Even at 54, he could probably
still do some damage.

So lists not derogatory and Clemson related are okay?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic