Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
John Hesiman or Danny Ford ??
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

John Hesiman or Danny Ford ??

Sep 10, 2013, 4:59 PM

If Clemson could have held on to one or the other for 20+ years, which would have had the bigger long-term impact on our football program?

Would keeping Heisman on our campus during the embryonic days of college football in the USA have made us into what schools like Alabama are today instead of wandering in the wilderness in the 1920s and 1930s?

Would Danny Ford's extended tenure here seen us take our place alongside the side the neuveaux riche of college football, a multi-time MNC champ and fixture in the top-10.

Which would have been more important to Clemson if you had to choose only one???

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo Swinney

Sep 10, 2013, 5:00 PM

nm

Hope that's the answer in 10 years or so ...

Sep 10, 2013, 5:02 PM

... school is still out, but the scores are coming in and looking better every week.

But, I have to say (of those two) that keeping Heisman would have been the greater long term positive for Clemson.

Those were the days when storied programs were created from scratch and there was no reason why Clemson was less poised for greatness than Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Georgia Tech or any number of other schools. We just let the greatest coach of his era leave us for "greener" pastures.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is possible, the other 2 are only hypothetical

Sep 10, 2013, 6:01 PM [ in reply to Dabo Swinney ]

IF I had to pick Heisman or Ford, I'd say Ford. Because I lived it and he knew how to win.

That said, 30+ years ago is a long time. Look at the ups and downs of all the big, historic programs since them. Alabama, ND, Michigan, USC (the real one), etc. have all had significant down times and some are still down.

My only concern about Dabo is will he be able to keep his coordinators and if not, can we still keep making progress without BV and CM?

Heck, after last night some pro teams might come calling CM.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: John Hesiman or Danny Ford ??

Sep 10, 2013, 5:02 PM

Tommy Bowden!!!! You didn't say positive effect!

Danny Ford***

Sep 10, 2013, 5:23 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we had kept Danny everything would be different.***

Sep 10, 2013, 7:27 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The question is how would FSU fared had Danny stayed ?

Sep 10, 2013, 7:39 PM

Danny leaving allowed FSU to come in and take over the ACC unchallenged. Had Danny been around FSU would have only half of those ACC championships and maybe only one MNC, if any.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great question. FSU would def not have had same success***

Sep 10, 2013, 7:43 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Danny's firing MADE Bobby Bowden.

Sep 10, 2013, 7:56 PM [ in reply to The question is how would FSU fared had Danny stayed ? ]

Bobby would not have near as many wins had Ford stayed at CU. It was perfect timing for Bobby.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Danny Ford.***

Sep 10, 2013, 7:42 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

John Hesiman would have built a giant at Clemson

Sep 10, 2013, 7:43 PM

We would probably be in the SEC if he had been here for 20+ years. We would have won tons of games and perhaps even championships like he did at GT.

Danny would have also made an impact if the above did not happen. He WOULD have won the 1990 National Championship. Clemson would have challenged FSU for dominance in the ACC in the 90's and 2000's.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: John Hesiman or Danny Ford ??

Sep 10, 2013, 7:48 PM

Heisman. Being that good during the infant stages of football, could set a long tradition of winning.

I think Ford would have done well, but I question how we would adapt to football of the 90s and today. He never really aired it out which became the trend after he left Clemson.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic