Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Jobs that no longer exist
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

Jobs that no longer exist

Jul 11, 2019, 5:55 PM

I saw a short article on jobs that no longer exist - read the headline and no more. Anyhow it got me thinking, what job which no longer exists today do we really miss being done by a person, if its to be done at all anymore? Otherwise, life was, or would be, better because this job was being done and by a person.

I know there will be some, but I'm having a hard time coming up with any.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Swimming, Diving, & Wrestling coaches at Clemson

Jul 11, 2019, 5:59 PM

Pay phone coin collector - my cousin’ first job was to hop out and collect the dimes from pay phones in Hickory NC while his boss drove and watched out for ###### and run artists.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Pay Phone repairman.

Jul 11, 2019, 6:01 PM

NM

Family Doctor that makes house calls***

Jul 14, 2019, 12:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jobs that no longer exist

Jul 11, 2019, 6:00 PM

Cashier . I know there are still many of these jobs not being done by the paying customer themselves , but the writing is on the walmart.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Elevator operators

Jul 11, 2019, 6:04 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2019, 6:05 PM

My grandfather was a pin setter in a bowling alley when he was young.

my dad was too***

Jul 11, 2019, 6:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2019, 6:11 PM

Keypunch operators... it sure was nice to walk in and through keypunch to see all the fine ladies!!!!

Sexist, but idgad.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2019, 6:16 PM

Service station gas pumpers and oil checkers ....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Oregon and New Jersey still pump your gas for you***

Jul 11, 2019, 6:19 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oregon and New Jersey still pump your gas for you***

Jul 11, 2019, 6:23 PM

In Oregon youre not allowed to pump your own gas anywhere.

And soon, Oregon won’t let people think for themselves anymore either.***

Jul 11, 2019, 7:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: And soon, Oregon won’t let people think for themselves anymore either.***

Jul 11, 2019, 8:12 PM

Lol, yet true!

Re: And soon, Oregon won’t let people think for themselves anymore either.***

Jul 11, 2019, 8:59 PM [ in reply to And soon, Oregon won’t let people think for themselves anymore either.*** ]

Already in place - Judge ... already in place .., Californy too. ... -:D

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jul 11, 2019, 8:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Oregon and New Jersey still pump your gas for you*** ]

And - New Jersey probably thinks you will stiff them !! -:D

Jul 11, 2019, 8:37 PM [ in reply to Oregon and New Jersey still pump your gas for you*** ]

Is this where all the coots end up?

Jul 11, 2019, 9:01 PM

Was wondering where they were finding all those gas pumping jobs - wewillROCK !! lol

Jul 11, 2019, 8:55 PM [ in reply to Oregon and New Jersey still pump your gas for you*** ]

Thanks - JD .... good to know !! -:D

Jul 11, 2019, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Jobs that no longer exist ]

Service station gas pumpers and oil checkers ....

New Jersey only has full service stations unless they recently changed. No self pump gas.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2019, 7:29 AM

Thanks - nctiger .... did not know that ....

I guess I should have read the threads first.....***

Jul 12, 2019, 7:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Jobs that no longer exist ]

the milkman ***

Jul 11, 2019, 6:21 PM

And birth rates in this country dropped...

Jul 11, 2019, 6:25 PM

No milk man and far fewer postmen ringing the doorbell. ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Postman Always Rings Twice.

Jul 11, 2019, 8:12 PM

nm

Type-setters for newspapers...

Jul 11, 2019, 6:25 PM [ in reply to the milkman *** ]

If we still had those then we wouldn't have smart phones and we wouldn't have social media! The world was much better place then!

This one's gone!

Jul 11, 2019, 6:27 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had an uncle who delivered milk to

Jul 11, 2019, 10:44 PM [ in reply to the milkman *** ]

front doors in the Columbia area - ended the job because they thought people would rather do their own grocery shopping. Now it's the latest rage to just send your list to the big store and they bring everything to you. What were they missing way back then?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2019, 6:39 PM

University of South Carolina Football Trophy Case Maker.

Jul 11, 2019, 6:43 PM

Good one Columbia !!

Jul 11, 2019, 6:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Jobs that no longer exist ]

That was a fantasy job. Never existed. Gotta keep it real or it doesn't count.

remember 1-900-976-1313? Sports Phone

Jul 11, 2019, 6:53 PM

back before the internet and cellphones and such, there was a phone # you could call to get "live" updated scores from ballgames.

had a friend in school whose job was to call in the score at the end of every quarter. He had to leave his seat in the stands, run over to the payphones underneath the concourse, and report the score to the headquarters.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2019, 6:56 PM

Photo-mat Booth attendant

Jul 11, 2019, 7:02 PM

Tv, radio and computer , appliance repairman. Most are cheaper to buy a new one or can’t be fixed

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2019, 8:16 PM

Hopeful Tiger You said it! Gas pumpers and oil level checkers at "SERVICE STATIONS"! That gets my vote > I hear in the distance somebody going, "dang, how old are you"! LOL!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2019, 9:06 PM

Lol - HillRock ... well ..., I’m pretty old !! -:)

Still plenty of those around!***

Jul 11, 2019, 9:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Jobs that no longer exist ]

Gas Station Attendant, Computer Keypunch Operator are a

Jul 11, 2019, 7:59 PM

couple that come to mind. I haven't seen a full service gas station, or a computer keypunch card in 25 years at least.

they have gas pumpers in Columbia

Jul 11, 2019, 8:03 PM

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=gas+station+attnedant+jobs&ibp=htl;jobs&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwizoru5ia7jAhXOKM0KHYYRCUgQp4wCMAB6BAgKEAE#htidocid=fvV0QvQoqZtG1LM8AAAAAA%3D%3D

Nah, those attendants just sit in the little glass house and

Jul 11, 2019, 8:07 PM

sell lottery tickets and collect money. They do NOT pump gas, clean windshields, check tires, oil, or any other things that real gas station attendants used to do.

HONEST POLITICIAN! That one may still exist, but hasn't

Jul 11, 2019, 8:01 PM

been filled in DECADES!

Chastity Belt maker.

Jul 11, 2019, 8:04 PM

That job was probably eliminated by mutual consent. :)

Re: Chastity Belt maker.

Jul 11, 2019, 8:55 PM

You might want to Google that.

Auto Plant Assembly welder. All those jobs are done by

Jul 11, 2019, 8:10 PM

robot now. (And, I have to say, the uniform quality of cars now is way better than it was in the old days, or at least the old days of assembly lines.)

Jul 11, 2019, 8:11 PM

western sizzlin cashier.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2019, 8:33 PM

there is a western siz of I-95 in Ga.

Jul 11, 2019, 8:44 PM

Objective news reporters and writers. Everyone of them has an agenda whether it news, sports, economics, science, whatever.

USUCK Gamecock Trophy Maker***

Jul 11, 2019, 9:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They exist but are rare

Jul 11, 2019, 9:53 PM

Video store clerk
Typewriter repairman
Film processing technician
Cobbler
Switchboard operator

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2019, 10:35 PM

A friend's father was a brakeman on the RR and got to ride in the caboose and help brake trains.

Jul 11, 2019, 11:05 PM

Wish they'd make lawn Jarts again. I aired one out while a kid and just missed my lab. Whew!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1949 Farmall Super H tractor operator....

Jul 11, 2019, 11:59 PM

..that was my first job and although I scan the help wanted ads it must be gone with the wind...

Jul 12, 2019, 7:19 AM

Drafting, my uncle came back from Vietnam, got his drafting degree and within 10 yrs completely fazed out!

Go Tigers and Happy Friday Tiger Family! ?? ??

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2019, 7:40 AM

Pick any American manufacturing job, textile jobs,etc.

Toll booth collector.

Soon to be gone- cashiers, cab drivers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gas station attendants that, PUT GAS IN YOUR CAR, WASH

Jul 12, 2019, 7:47 AM

YOUR WINDSHIELD, AND CHECK YOUR OIL.....can you imagine?

Re: Gas station attendants that, PUT GAS IN YOUR CAR, WASH

Jul 14, 2019, 12:23 PM

Remember when relatively new cars burned oil and you had to pay attention to the oil level between 3000 mile changes? Crazy stuff!

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic