Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Job decision help?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Job decision help?

Nov 2, 2017, 8:13 AM

I have a job right now where I make more than enough money for me and my family, great benefits and I’ll probably never get fired. But there’s this other place back home that is offering my salary plus some change still great benefits but it seems like a much more difficult job description and I don’t have any clout there besides being from there.

Anyone got any advice. This seems a lot harder than it should be.

TIA
Not CDS

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Home is where your family is.

Nov 2, 2017, 8:17 AM

signed
Dabo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do ducks and bucks count?***

Nov 2, 2017, 9:09 AM

Not enough info. But I will say being away from home for an extended period

Nov 2, 2017, 8:19 AM

Of time makes coming home surreal and often not what you expect it to be like. If your sole reason for returning is for the sake of returning I would tread lightly. Likewise if your sole reason for staying is your job is easier if tread lightly too. I personally don’t have the wisdom to make these decisions on my own so I typically pray about. But I know that’s not for everyone. But even if you don’t believe that’s still as good as tnet advice.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is it closer to clemson?***

Nov 2, 2017, 8:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Ehhhh 12 hours or so

Nov 2, 2017, 9:02 AM

Re: Job decision help?

Nov 2, 2017, 8:23 AM

Did the potential new employer find you, or did you seek them out? If you sought them out, perhaps you aren't quite as happy as you feel you are.

There's the saying 'you can never go back' and, to an extent, there's some truth to that. Personally, I believe that's more a function of your stage in life. So, there are the heart-strings tugs of home, versus a role you obviously question...and you have no clout. Seems to me, those last two points are your personal red flags you are trying to justify ignoring. You may have answered your question. Currently, you're blooming where you're planted.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I you really, really want to go back home then maybe

Nov 2, 2017, 8:28 AM

you should go for it.

If you are pretty content where you live now and don't have necessarily a lot of reasons to get back home (for example, maybe you don't have much family there anymore or something) then I would be inclined to say consider staying put.

Probably doesn't help you much.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

stay where you are at and

Nov 2, 2017, 8:30 AM

use the other offer to improve your current situation and ask that the match the compensation.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bloom where you are planted...

Nov 2, 2017, 8:33 AM

Siriusly I left a position that I truly enjoyed, making good money, working with great people..and I regret it to this day.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

bob- you should just go back

Nov 2, 2017, 8:39 AM

To FGF then!

And OP- stay put man.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2017, 8:53 AM

If you are married, you're going to have to do what SHE says and just try and deal with it.

Otherwise, I would recommend that you stay where you are. I had to wait until I retired to move back to the SC area. I tried it once, and had to move back away for 10 years until retirement. Just stay there and enjoy the moment, because it will be gone in a blink of an eye.

Try Prayer

Nov 2, 2017, 8:54 AM

Sometimes God will tell you directly sometimes indirectly.

Another question to consider is how it will effect your kids (if any)? If they have changed schools a number of times it won't be as difficult. That first time changing schools is very difficult for many kids. I was an Air Force brat and went to 9 different schools, to include 3 different high schools.

Also need to consider the job and the challenge it may or may not present. Having a job that is different day to day may be what you want (or not want). I turned down a promotion, because the job was going to be the same next year and the year after and the year after instead of a new challenge every year. You may prefer that sameness.

Ask for a moat ... and a drawbridge ... and an indoor slide***

Nov 2, 2017, 8:56 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2017, 9:29 AM

I have been in the same situation and here is what I did. Understand no job is secure and if you are like me I always wanted to accept a challenge. You are comfortable in current job but seems like you are just going through the motions and not advancing yourself. The new position provides you an opportunity to learn more and test you each day.... gives you a chance to test your skills daily. Now comes the decision of moving...not sure how old your kids are but my family moved when I was a junior in high school and was the best move for me. Made great friends and the change was very positive for me. Can't just base this decision on you though if you are married and have kids Plus you need to go there...talk to some of the people on the floor...see what the work environment is like..sometimes that can be a decision maker. Good luck...there was always an old saying..."You can never go home".

Nov 2, 2017, 9:33 AM

Are you incapable of a more difficult job; no offense meant.

I’d say move home easy answer; if home is special to you? Unless its Ohio.

Better jobs are usually harder, but if you apply yourself and possess the education to adapt to it you will be fine.

I don’t think anyone succeeded taking the easy route

Nov 2, 2017, 9:33 AM

Was faced with the service decision this past March. We lived in Charleston for 20 years. Our whole family lives in the Greenville area. In the end the idea of living back home was too good to pass up. Moved and haven't had a single regret.

No one can really answer this question but you.

Nov 2, 2017, 9:45 AM

How important is it for you to go home?

Are you looking for more of a challenge in the workplace?

Are you going to significantly disrupt your family if you move them now?

So many questions only you can answer. I wish you the best....and you will bloom where ever you are.

Nov 2, 2017, 10:06 AM

You need to pray about this and know in your heart what the right thing to do is. I have made a couple of career decisions and it's always based on how it will affect my family. Money is necessary but it isn't everything. I don't let work get to me that much. I understand the goals and give the best I have to reach them but I will tell you what I told someone the other day. I can't let this stuff stress me too much and I don't have time to get mad at people because at the end of the day I am going to go home to all of the reasons that I come in here for in the first place. That being said watch your stressors and I while I personally like a certain amount of pressure too much is unhealthy. Also here's something we all know: we can't get time back. Our children only grow up once. But hey even if you make the wrong choice here I believe the grace will be there to bail you out. Our choices don't come without consequence but I'm thankful those consequences don't have to be permanent. Hope it all works out for the best for you and your family:)

Who says you can't go home

Nov 2, 2017, 10:26 AM

https://youtu.be/5CeX5VEo10c

Seriously though, being close to family, particularly when your kids are young, is a fairly big plus to consider IMO.

Message was edited by: justinjcu

Nov 2, 2017, 10:52 AM

IIWM I'd stay with the known entity. Especially since it seems that you are happy.

Did a recruiter seek you out?
Why is the other position available?
Could it be that the new boss a d!ck, or worse yet a coot fan?

How old are you? Kids? How far away is home?

Nov 2, 2017, 11:00 AM

I work in CA. I would make 1/3 of the pay for the same job in SC with terrible benefits and have a lesser quality working environment. If I could make 1/4 less of my current salary in CA, I would move back to Charleston tomorrow.

I spent 4 yrs working 6 days in CA them flying home to Chas for 8 days. We were happy. It was not conventional, but worked for us. We decided we should be in the same place for our daughters last 4 yrs of school (shes now a soph, 15). So we moved back out to CA.
We are less happy.

So the question is, how happy are you and how much happier do you expect to be? If life is awesome, what do you expect to gain by moving? How will you feel leaving behind your home, job, and current social life? Not all that glitters is gold my friend.

Good luck!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: How old are you? Kids? How far away is home?

Nov 2, 2017, 11:25 AM

Honestly compels I was about to question you math deficiencies, until I realized it was my reading comprehension that was the issue! ;) You must write math word problems for a living!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic