Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Sunday Night Update: Swinney talks playcalling, injuries, and play of offensive line
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

TNET: Sunday Night Update: Swinney talks playcalling, injuries, and play of offensive line

Sep 9, 2018, 7:02 PM

Sunday Night Update: Swinney talks playcalling, injuries, and play of offensive line

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney admitted on his Sunday night teleconference that the Tigers aren’t a great team, but he hopes his team makes the necessary improvements to become a great team.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Play Calling

Sep 9, 2018, 8:16 PM

Play calling was a real mystery. It looked like there is still very little confidence in KB throwing the ball. Seems like we rely on the great play instead of the smart play. Nothing to the TE. No slants. No passes to the RB. Very predictable. But I’m glad we won!

Re: Play Calling

Sep 9, 2018, 8:40 PM

Spot on Rob.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Play Calling

Sep 9, 2018, 9:17 PM [ in reply to Play Calling ]

I agree with what you have said but, don't give Tony Elliott a free pass bc play calling is at least 75% all Tony, and he made some really bone headed play calls IMO. 2nd and 10, and then 3 and 11 in the same series just didn't make any sense to run the ball straight up the middle. Then they put TL in the game I think for 2 series in the 2nd half and every down was a passing play. TL was being used for straight up passing, and KB for running and passing, and that isn't going to work. Both QB's will have to have a mixture of running and passing bc when TL went in, they covered the receivers and blitz TL bc they knew what was going to happen when he was in the game!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Sunday Night Update: Swinney talks playcalling, injuries, and play of offensive line

Sep 9, 2018, 9:58 PM

Lots of missed assignments on defense, most obviously in the secondary, but the big killer on offense was such poor play calling and execution of first down. It seemed like every series we were in 2nd and 9 or second and 10 all night long. Coupled with the poor field position, it made for tough going. Great to play like that though and win!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Sunday Night Update: Swinney talks playcalling, injuries, and play of offensive line

Sep 9, 2018, 10:40 PM

My thinking on play calling is something that I think we do often, and it will end up biting you in the butt in my opinion. What is it? Trying to sit on the lead and go very conservative with the calls. As a former basketball official, I've seen it happen so many times, and I see our O.C.'s doing it and I don't understand why! As the old saying goes, "Dance with what brung you", meaning how did you get the lead? Whatever it was KEEP DOING IT!! Why change up the offensive game plan because you have the lead, keep your foot on the gas! How did you score to get the lead, continue doing that, act as if the scores 0-0. We got lucky Saturday night, we keep doing this and our luck will run out.

Totally Agree.

Sep 9, 2018, 10:46 PM

When we get a lead, especially if we are # 2 in the entire nation -- that is the time to pour it on - be relentless! That's what the Bama's of the world do. Learn from last night and don't get in that situation again this season!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We need to put our foot on their throats

Sep 9, 2018, 10:51 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Sunday Night Update: Swinney talks playcalling, injuries, and play of offensive line ]

We are just too nice... Of course we tend to put the 2nd and 3rd stringers in there. That's a good thing that pays off in the long run but short run it feels frustrating.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2018, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Sunday Night Update: Swinney talks playcalling, injuries, and play of offensive line ]

I don't think the 2QB system was well executed.

KB got pulled right when he got into rhythm. Yes, TL threw a TD on his first pass, but didn't do much after that.

I get that you want to go conservative in the rain, but they took their foot off the gas way too early. Playcalling on the final series was inexcusable. Even worse, it was the SAME mistake that gave NC State one last chance last year!

Knowing Coach doesn't take my feelings into consideration.

Sep 9, 2018, 10:47 PM

It sure would still be nice if he at least got Tony and Scott to involve our core of running backs and tight ends into the system. In all seriousness watching Clemson over the past 3 years why would a big time running back pick Clemson over a Bama, GA, Ohio St? We don't utilize them as they could be. Hell even our wide receivers are not getting the All In use they could be! But as I said Coach don't care bout my fandom feelz.

Go Tigers.

Re: Knowing Coach doesn't take my feelings into consideration.

Sep 9, 2018, 11:05 PM

I had exactly the same thoughts today. Why are we using the QB as a running back? Why are we not using the RUNNING BACKS to do the running? I understand the RPO but we are running plays designed for the QB to run with no pass option. I'm admittedly nothing more than an armchair QB that watches a lot of fb, but I think our offensive play calling is much too predictable and does not take advantage of all the talent we have on that side of the ball. Just my humble opinion. Go Tigers.

Re: Knowing Coach doesn't take my feelings into consideration.

Sep 9, 2018, 11:05 PM [ in reply to Knowing Coach doesn't take my feelings into consideration. ]

I had exactly the same thoughts today. Why are we using the QB as a running back? Why are we not using the RUNNING BACKS to do the running? I understand the RPO but we are running plays designed for the QB to run with no pass option. I'm admittedly nothing more than an armchair QB that watches a lot of fb, but I think our offensive play calling is much too predictable and does not take advantage of all the talent we have on that side of the ball. Just my humble opinion. Go Tigers.

Sep 9, 2018, 11:30 PM

Congrats on the win. I apologize ahead of time, but like the athletes I also care. I trust the coaches because they have had good success. But coaching is where I see the biggest room for improvement.

The play calling is so focused on fooling the defense it has become convoluted and extremely inefficient. It has caused superior players to become ineffective. Keep it simple.

1. Slant to Renfroe
2. Pitch to Etienne
3. Shuffle pass to any back

Keep doing these three plays until the defense adjusts and stops blitzing. When they do:

4. Post to Tee or Amari
Or short out any receiver based on coverage QB has to identify and choose
5. Up the middle with Feaster and Choice

Alternate these plays until they try to stop the run or deeper ball then revert back to the first 3 plays. Make the defense stop what works before you stop using it.

Travis scored on a quick pitch because they were stacking the middle all night. He would have been running for 15 yards all game. Get him out in space. The shuffle pass totally exploited their over aggression. We ran it once. Find what works and stick with it. We have superior thinkers, athletes, young men.

Our O line has been put in the horrible position of taking the fall for being asked to do way too much. They are very very very good. Let them push people around allow them to dominate and all of the incredible weapons we have will get all the touches they need to put games away and give their teammates more playing time.

We start our defense by catering to the strengths of the defensive line and all the pieces then work in conjunction to create a great overall defense.

Our offense tries to isolate receivers that run fast, or wait to see how the defense reacts to us "showing them something" in the RPO then let the QB make a choice. How do you block for that? Start with the line blocking, then design the play around that. Just like the D-line in stunt, bullrush and contain. Always start with the line.

Our offense looks like the linemen just get left out to dry, like they have to guess what the QB is going to choose also.

Sorry if I sound disappointed, I assure I am not. I am enjoying all of your success and include myself as a fan only. Like others I know my thoughts will never reach who I intend them for but it is a great outlet.

Thanks to all those who share. Sometimes I think I'm the only one so frustrated by the holding calls that my wife has to kick me out of the house. After reading these boards there were many of us getting some fresh air last night.

Sep 9, 2018, 11:47 PM

Going all the way back to the Tajh Boyd days, 3rd and 1 predictably is a QB keeper. The defense automatically keys in on the QB. The difference between then and now though, Chad would use jet sweeps and shifts to keep the defense guessing. We have great backs, we should use them on for short yardage.
We do get too predictable, but these coaches have taken us to places that is very enjoyable these days. Very few losses year after year. So even though we’re predictable, we are executing. It’s a great time to be a tiger.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2018, 8:38 AM

While history shows this to be our tendency, the rain added another reason to run KB. Ball security was huge in the second half, and especially the fourth quarter.

I was surprised by the number of blitzes. I'd rather show blitz, and back out that always sending extras. While blitzes can work incredible well, and have numerous times in the past. However, Mond was very elusive, and coupled with the liberal allowance to hold, was very hard to create negative plays. It ended up putting too much pressure on the back end.

As far as the DB's. I thought coverage was very good, and most of their big plays were prayers answered. Several finger tips away from breakups, and missed interceptions.

Aggies were better than expected, and have solid talent across the board. We'll be in for a fight again next year.

Jet sweep? We quit running that last year, gotta have a

Sep 10, 2018, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Sunday Night Update: Swinney talks playcalling, injuries, and play of offensive line ]

passing QB to make that work...It won't work when they crowd the line waiting for the QB to look once and take off

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jet sweep? We quit running that last year, gotta have a

Sep 10, 2018, 7:13 PM

The sweep is ill fated when Richard is the TE. The TE has to be able to seal the edge or else the sweep is going to get blown up. It's something that should be more usable with Williams in the lineup.

They've been running it as a fake a bit going back to last season but I think it's been mainly as a key for KB as to the coverage.

Sep 28, 2024, 3:34 PM

Great article.

Watching the Tigers battle A&M reminded me of the Louisville game @ Death Valley a few years ago. Both teams mounted furious comebacks, but the Tigers were able to weather the storm. Crazy game - ugly game, but a great win on the road against a tough SEC opponent. I'll take it. Go Tigers!

Sep 10, 2018, 7:03 PM

I think ETN only had 7 carries!!! Why not 15 at least.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic