Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My grandfather passed away on this day, five years ago.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

My grandfather passed away on this day, five years ago.

Jul 4, 2017, 11:10 PM

The fourth of July takes on a different meaning for me and my family. On July 4th, 2012, exactly five years ago today, I lost my grandfather, affectionately known as "Papa".

He was a Clemson man. He was recruited to play football by both SCAR and Clemson. However, his dad thought that SCAR "wanted to give too many gifts". He had offers from many colleges, but his dad thought the Clemson coaches were the most down to Earth recruiters they'd ever met; and thus, he went to Clemson.

He played for two seasons under Howard, including in the 1959 Sugar Bowl against LSU. https://m.imgur.com/a/xUPiU

However, family responsibilities required him to retire from college football. Even though he was no longer playing, Howard let him keep his football scholarship.

He went to just about every football game throughout the years, until his knee started giving him trouble. After multiple surgeries, doctors decided it was best to amputate his leg. Of course, he did what any Clemson man would do after a surgery like that, and got himself a Clemson leg. http://imgur.com/zVNTrR4

He also loved his country and his state. He often gave money to the Wounded Warriors project throughout his life. He also served in the U.S. Army and National Guard Reserves, and served in the SC House of Representatives from 1980-1988.

A funny story: He was tired of all the official state whatevers (dance, drink, etc.) so when some school kids proposed the praying mantis for state insect he amended the bill to include the palmetto bug as state bug so it would have to go back to committee. The News and Courier ran this cartoon.
http://imgur.com/a/YIaIA

His death impacted many people. Shortly after, the SC House of Representatives passed a bill in his name, which was a great honor to him and our family. http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess120_2013-2014/bills/3443.htm

Maybe it was fitting he passed on the fourth. Maybe it was fitting that he passed on the day that honors our country, considering how much he honored it in life.

He was a patriotic man. A Clemson man. But most of all, a family man. And I miss him more than I can describe.

R.I.P. Papa. December 17, 1938-July 4, 2012

Happy Fourth.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My grandfather passed away on this day, five years ago.

Jul 4, 2017, 11:16 PM

What a great man your papa was! Amazing legacy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 4, 2017, 11:24 PM

Sounds like he left a wonderful legacy.

Jul 4, 2017, 11:56 PM

Amazing story and sounds like an amazing man. Also is it just me or do the jerseys back then almost look like sweatshirt material?

Jefferson and Adams both died on the 4th.

Jul 5, 2017, 9:26 AM

He's in very good company. It's a blessing he was able to pass away on such a special day.

Sounds like he was a good ole unreconstructed Southron.

Jul 5, 2017, 3:56 PM

I know you're proud of ur grandfather. he's a man we all can look up to.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Definitely a Clemson man through and through....

Jul 5, 2017, 4:00 PM

easy to see why he's missed.....treasure those memories friend.

-RB

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic