Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hawks owner selling his shares of the team...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 291

Hawks owner selling his shares of the team...

Sep 9, 2014, 1:59 PM

Now the GM is in hot water over saying something about Luol Deng "having a little bit of African in him," meaning that he was "he’s like a guy who would have a nice store out front but sell you counterfeit stuff out of the back" and that he's "a two- faced liar and a cheat."

I read through the email that the owner wrote and is selling his shares over, and while I can see how it would be offensive, I wasn't sure who it was more offensive to: southern whites, or black people. The implication was that southern whites didn't want to come to Hawks games because they viewed the games as "too black." You could look at that and think that owner was just talking about his own racist views, or you could look at that and interpret it as the owner objectively observing something about racist southern whites. But what if it were actually true that the Hawks aren't attracting enough southern white people to buy their season tickets, and that only being attractive to the black population isn't enough to support their ticket sales? Is what he said then only offensive because of how he said it (I don't remember if the way he said things was inflammatory, but it didn't seem like it)? Or can you simply not observe and say things like that if you want to be associated with the NBA?

I think it's more likely than not that it's just a problem with the Atlanta market. Atlanta fans haven't been great about supporting the Braves, and I would guess their attendance at basketball (and hockey, when they had a team) is lower than you'd expect for the quality of the team, too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

believe it or not

Sep 9, 2014, 2:01 PM

they are still in the NBA

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't really have a problem with him trying to figure out

Sep 9, 2014, 2:02 PM

ways to draw in a white demographic. People do this all the time, except you can't say you do it if it involves white people.

MLB has an enormous initiative specifically to draw in African American participants. If what the Hawks owner was saying is racist, then so is that.

Ferry's comments about Deng? Yeah, that's pretty messed up.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ferry was just reading someone else's comments about Deng.

Sep 9, 2014, 5:34 PM

Even dumber.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I read it a few times too and my takeaway was that

Sep 9, 2014, 2:03 PM

it's like hipster now to nail a white guy to the wall when race is spoken of.

He seemed to be talking about possible explanations, didn't seem to be writing in a way that reflected his own views. Or at least not conclusive what his views are.

I thought the Danny F one was worse. Then he said he was just quoting others. For me, either hang Danny F or find out who said that and hang them.

Hard for race to be talked about without someone labeling someone else a racist anymore.

IMO both potentially were worse than D Sterling in certain respects....D-Ster was taped against the law in a pvt convo whereas these fools sent emails on the job.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From what I have read and heard, it sounds to me as if

Sep 9, 2014, 2:05 PM

he was just making observations about demographics from a business perspective, and really not being that racist. If anything, he was being racist towards white people, but we have to get in a tizzy over anything race related these days, so why not this?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jason Whitlock's piece on the cover of ESPN.com is strong

Sep 9, 2014, 5:54 PM

He basically details the obvious - that Levenson, while utilizing poor verbage, was merely trying to capitalize on customer demographics.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11493472/jason-whitlock-bruce-levenson-atlanta-hawks

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Levenson seems way to eager to fall on his sword. I suspect

Sep 9, 2014, 6:08 PM

this is allowing him to sell his stake in the team in a certain way/at a certain speed, so he has chosen this route.

Otherwise it makes no sense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#ACCFTS

Replies: 7
| visibility 291
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic